Zoom sketch, inspired by the costume from CW’s Flash series. I loved how they handled this character.
Plastic Man sketch.
I always loved this costume.
Pen, ink, watercolor sketch.
Pencils. Still thinking about inking it. Probably will.
Thanks for looking!
With Gutter Magic issue two less than a week away (and my next ‘real’ process post seemingly stranded indefinitely in Drafts), I thought I’d post some of the first pages from issue one.
I really liked the toning I could achieve with the penciled look. I thought it worked well with the moral grays for the characters. What do you think?
A Rogue piece I did as a gift for a friend of my wife.
Thanks for looking! I hope your New Year is a great one!
It’s been a while since I worked traditionally. Providing I can make the time, I like to take part in the weekly Ten Ton Sketch Challenge. All done traditionally; pen and Copic markers. These are from the last three weeks, listed in descending order.
Greg Capullo’s Creech
Well, ok…since you insist. 😉
This is the cover repaint I had intended, only partially completed (obviously), but this is likely where it will be staying. It’s very inspired by Atkinson Grimshaw, whose moody palettes captured exactly what I wanted to do with the first issue of Gutter Magic. The logo would have been painted onto the brick of the building at the left, faded and chipped.
But we went another direction. That’s one of the things that most impacts me about the comics industry; how fluid things are. I think it’s easy to over-emphasize the creative process, putting an emphasis on creating, creating, creating that just can’t be sustained in light of deadlines. You have to be creative and fast, the books must go out. I certainly need to learn and relearn this. If I could go back to the beginning of my career, this is probably one of the chief points I would make to my younger self. Speed is of the essence! You have to be quick enough that the tempo at which things change doesn’t catch you off-guard.
…and it has to look good. There’s that. 🙂
NOT AN ENDORSEMENT! But nonetheless, this is a photo I treasure.
Rich was kind enough to get this photo for me at the NYCC and I kept it
on my desktop throughout the process of creating Gutter Magic. As I’d
mentioned earlier, Dave’s blog was tremendously helpful to me.
At long last, Gutter Magic has been completed. I want to use this space to write a bit about the experience for anyone interested, as it was rich with
learning and growth and may be of interest to someone else–sort of a behind-the-scenes, but also a journal of what I learned. To start off, I’ll address the cover for the first issue.
general, I think it works. I really wanted this first issue’s cover to
convey, to distill the world of Gutter Magic into a single image. I’d
worked hard on the interiors to create a unique and believable world,
something with real depth. Bringing that to the cover, trying to yell
that out from rows and rows of other covers, was definitely something I
pondered a lot. I looked at Dave Johnson’s amazing cover critique blog (and kinda fudged a rule here or there), but I think this generally
works. It puts the viewer’s focus, which is Cinder’s focus, on the
decapitated Chrysler Building. It towers over his character, lights
impossibly lit and glowing ominously. Cinder’s back is to us (yeah,
this is probably the biggest rule I broke), but it was important to me
Cinder NOT interact with the viewer. Personally, I don’t like covers
and movie posters with characters or people looking out at the viewer.
It often reads as desperate to me; “Please! Look at me! I’m worth your
time (money).” Cinder, however, couldn’t care less if we’re there. He
is singularly focused on his goal, as will become evident throughout
Interestingly, this wasn’t my intended final cover.
This cover had been done for the ashcan Rich had printed up for the
NYCC, way back when we were looking for a publisher. The final cover
(someday I may post what I completed of it) was to be painted and evoke a
very specific period feel. I think this works, it just forced me to
rethink the rest of the covers, which would no longer be tied together,
as I’d intended.
In any case, this piece was inked in Painter (the only time I did anything in Painter for this series) and colored in Photoshop.
I hope you like. Thanks for dropping by!