Reply To: ART CLASH WEEK 25: MY HERO ACADEMIA!!! – STEEL WINS!!!

Forums THE ART CLASH 1.1 ART CLASH WEEK 25: MY HERO ACADEMIA!!! – STEEL WINS!!! Reply To: ART CLASH WEEK 25: MY HERO ACADEMIA!!! – STEEL WINS!!!

Brett Barkley
Keymaster

My Achievements

FIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED IconWAR FACE Icon

Scott,
Sorry for the confusion. I didn’t actually mean to suggest manga art lacks detail. I think there’s abundant evidence for much of it being loaded with detail. I believe what you’re referring to is what I was suggesting in terms of giving weight to the focus characters in a scene (maybe?). Or maybe it’s what I was suggesting about manga typically being designed for quicker reads than Western books. I think the two kind of go together. First, I definitely don’t think this applies to all manga. But I think as a general rule, traditionally, manga is designed for faster reading. I think much of this is accomplished through shot clarity, where a panel quickly and concisely conveys its idea and focus. Again, I think it does this through careful consideration of weighting the focus (line weights, spot blacks, toning, etc.). But those are my thoughts. You’re free to disagree.

However, in terms of what has become the sort of art theme for this week, I thought I’d share something I found a long time ago (Sorry, I don’t recall where. However, I’ll credit the creator, if they’ll let me know.). These are general suggestions for how to use value and color warmth to make your focus in an image really pop.
Value:

Color Warmth:

Maybe this will help clarify a little of what I was talking about this week.

And consequently, AWESOME news on the commission and how you’re blowing up on Tumblr, Scott! Way to go! The Art Clash–getting people creating and getting people work! I love it! That’s what it’s all about.

Skip to toolbar