ART CLASH WEEK 1! BATMAN IN A SNOWY GOTHAM CITY — TIED: JAMES AND BRETT!!!

Forums THE ART CLASH 1.1 ART CLASH WEEK 1! BATMAN IN A SNOWY GOTHAM CITY — TIED: JAMES AND BRETT!!!

Choose your favorite Batman in a Snowy Gotham City

• #1 Leslie14.29%1 vote
  • #2 James Q28.57%2 votes
  • #3 Rachael C14.29%1 vote
  • #4 Steel14.29%1 vote
  • #5 Brett28.57%2 votes
  • #6 Joe Kemp0%0 votes

This topic contains 20 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Joe Kemp 10 months ago.

• Author

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

FIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED IconWAR FACE Icon

VOTE NOW!

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

Ok. I think we can safely call this a tie. Congratulations, James! Very nice job. Any thoughts for the subject and concept for the next week? Drop me a line. Otherwise, I’ll have something up tomorrow morning.

I wish I could have voted for everyone…I should have set it up like that. 🙂
    A couple thoughts on each work, because I really like the idea of lifting up and encouraging artistic growth. So please feel free to review these comments and critiques and then consider focusing on these points over the next week for your new entry.

1) Leslie – I love the style and colors. I really like that you went with your design strengths. I hope to see more of your work here. Maybe consider the juxtaposition and contrast of shape types in your work.
    2) James – Amazing piece! I love how you push the background back without the use of ink lines. This is a very solid piece. I think you did a great job on Batman’s general form, but I think the lower half of his body is a little small in places. Check his foremost knee in relation to his elbows. I think increasing the mass of his lower body would really push this piece over the top.
    3) Rachael C – You really took this theme and ran with it! Love it! From the style to the color, this reminds me of Dustin Nguyen’s L’il Gotham work. I’d recommend checking his stuff out, if you enjoy this style. Try looking at how he creates form out of simple shapes, in a head for instance. You can break down what he does and can really see his cartooning, or the simplifying of complex shapes into line, at work…and maybe build your own art style at the same time. This is, in my mind, the fastest way to grow as an artist. There’s no need to reinvent the wheel. Build off of what other’s have done!
    4) Steel – Love this piece! I really like what you did with the ink and the pencil shading. And that Batman attitude–wow, he’s not one you want to mess with. I think there are two things that will really help you here. First, if you want to continue working with the ink and pencil for shading, you need to develop more tonal variation. Try not to think of the pencil as a third tone (gray), but as a range of gray from dark to light. Also, I want you to work on simple shapes in perspective. We’ll work on that this week, but try to look at some good reference for the types of scenes you want to construct (city skyline scenes, for instance).
    5) Me – Inking, inking, inking. I can really weaken the strength of my pencils with poor or weak ink lines. I want to on my ink lines in the coming pieces.
    6) Joe Kemp – This is probably anatomically one of the best pieces I’ve seen you do. I really see some of that Michael Turner influence in this piece. The body proportions are really solid. I’d recommend going back to some of the artistic influences that really inspire you and break down how they handle similar poses. Maybe break down some of their work digitally, putting a nearly opaque layer over an image, then on a new layer, break the form down in to simple shapes first. Do your very best to keep from going in to detail here. Then really study that shape and see how these artists use a minimal amount of lines to indicate the general form. Then go in to the detail they use. It’s something I still have to force myself to focus on–a piece can tell the story/identify the shape or object with only the simple, yet concise lines that define the form…but it’s much more difficult to accomplish the same with only the detail and not the lines that determine the form. Additionally, I think we should see more of his left thigh (thought you did a good job separating it from his body with the bolder contour line) and we need more area in his abdomen, even though it is scrunched.

So, I think that covers it! Thanks to everyone who joined in. I’m really excited to continue moving ahead. It’s really inspiring to see and chart progress over a period of time. If anyone has any additional thoughts or input, please feel free to post comments and critiques.

Keep up the fantastic work!
    -B

JamesQ
      Participant

My Achievements

This was fun! Let’s do something nostalgic. I’m thinking He-Man or Thunder Cats. You can chose what they’re doing or where they are.

I may stop back to drop a crit because it’s all ice to get some feedback.

Joe Kemp
    Participant

My Achievements

FIRST HELPING HAND IconFIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED IconWAR FACE Icon

Based on Brett’s awesome critique I felt the need to write up my notes as well

Leslie – It is truly amazing what shape will do to sell a concept -this image conveys a ton of mood and really does wonders for telling the story. Everything from the shape of the architecture to the wind blowing batman’s cape. Well done

Steel – amazing detail and I love the attitude and expression – I obviously need to up my game to keep up with your amazing backgrounds and storytelling – I especially love that the bat signal is lit in the background.

James – Really wonderful style – i really like the costume design and the clean lines – you so rarely see batman in a bright environment but this does a great job of capturing a moment – My 2 favorite parts of this one are the lack of hard line on the shoulders and the way the cape folds on the ground – fantastic lighting

Rachael – Amazingly ambitious piece – the fact that you drew 12 characters is amazing but what is even more amazing is that you really explored the characters personalities – representing them individually in this awesome group shot – i love that you “killed” one of the robins but my favorite part is Alfred being the good butler he is with a silver tray of snowballs.

Brett – *got my vote* without a doubt amazing – there is so much good in this piece first off the craftsmanship is on point as usual for you – but it doesn’t stop there – you chose a challenging angle – you drew 4 characters (each with a unique personality) – you drew an incredibly detailed background (once again from a difficult angle) – most impressive you tell a story – this feels like a scene from the animated series where batman, out on patrol on christmas, sees a family walking down the street. The parents oblivious to the situation (possibly due to too much holiday cheer) walk obviously under batman while their curious kid sees a flapping cape in the wind looking up and seeing THE BAT – my favorite part is batman’s reaction is to give a kind (slightly awkward due to his lack of social skill) wave. This might be my favorite drawing of yours that I have seen (outside of that Dumbledore one of course).

Self critique – need to plan out you time better and give more attention to background and story – anatomy is decent but it feels unfinished and rushed

Brett Barkley
      Keymaster

My Achievements

Joe,
      Thanks so much for taking the time to offer a critique. You have a First Critique badge coming for that! Thanks also for the kind words and for enjoying what I was trying to do in that image. So glad you liked it. If it beat Dumbledore, that’s truly high praise. 🙂 Thanks, man!

I want to encourage everyone to offer thoughts, feedback or encouragement on the boards. This is about growing and pushing ourselves. In my wife’s previous workplace, they had this wonderful concept that weaknesses or areas of poor performance were called “Areas of Opportunity.” I loved that. An area where we may be weak today is just an opportunity for explosive growth waiting to happen. But if we aren’t aware, or maybe miss an Area of Opportunity, we’ll miss that chance to grow. So feel free to share!

Again, thanks very much for everything, Joe!

-B

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

ART CLASH WEEK 1:

BATMAN IN A SNOWY GOTHAM CITY

WEEK 01-BATMAN
    ART BRIEF:
    SUBJECT: BATMAN
    CONCEPT: For those of us who miss the snow, illustrate Batman in a snowy Gotham City setting of your choosing. You may draw from any era, or in any style.

Good luck!

The Rules:

THE ART CLASH is a weekly art challenge. Each TUESDAY This MONDAY, JANUARY 1,2018 a new Art Clash challenge will be posted. You may work in ANY MEDIA you like, but you must stick to the brief of this week’s Art Clash. And please, no posting old work in the Art Clash. This is about encouraging growth through work, so we expect a new piece every time.
    Your final art will need to be uploaded to an image hosting service (here are a few I recommend: Imgur, Google Photos and Flickr) and then may be posted here ANY time until SUNDAY evening at MIDNIGHT (EST). Voting begins immediately afterward and polls close on MONDAY at MIDNIGHT (EST). So don’t miss out!
    The artist with the most votes for the week by the close of the polls is declared that week’s winner and chooses the next Art Clash.

Leslie
    Participant

My Achievements

NEW TERRITORY IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED IconWAR FACE Icon

Batman. Snow.

Leslie
    Participant

My Achievements

NEW TERRITORY IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED IconWAR FACE Icon

Batman. Snow. First post. How could this year get any better?

JamesQ
    Participant

My Achievements

Bomb Cyclone Batman

JamesQ
    Participant

My Achievements

Glad you like it m’man. Can’t wait to see yours!

Rachael C
    Participant

My Achievements

FIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED Icon

Bat Family vs. Villains Snowball Fight Showdown

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

My Batman in the Snow!

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

Batman in the snow!
    -B

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

I have come to win Joe,James,Brett,Leslie,Knight,Rachael,also,GOOD JOB WITH YOUR ART CLASH GUYS!!!AND THANKS FOR JOINING RACHAEL C!!!!

Joe Kemp
    Participant

My Achievements

FIRST HELPING HAND IconFIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED IconWAR FACE Icon

I hope I am not too late! Here is my batman batman

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

Joe! Great to have you onboard! You’re right on time.

I’ll go ahead and open the vote. Good luck to everyone!
    -B

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

Oh Mom

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

I was waiting for some thing like that James!!

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

HHhhh good luck Dad. \ /
    () ()
    [—-]

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

This piece is so amazing Joe,SO AMAZING,one of your best pieces ever!!!!!

Joe Kemp
    Participant

My Achievements

Thanks Steel – I am SO excited for he-man this week “I HAVE THE POWER!”

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar