ART CLASH WEEK 12! DRAW YOUR OWN GIANT MONSTER!!! VOTE NOW!!!

Forums THE ART CLASH 1.1 ART CLASH WEEK 12! DRAW YOUR OWN GIANT MONSTER!!! VOTE NOW!!!

Whose Giant Monster rampages best?

You must be logged in to participate.
  • #1 Scott
  • #2 Brett
  • #3 Steel
  • #4 Knight
  • #5 Joe

This topic contains 12 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Scott LeMien 8 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

FIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED IconWAR FACE Icon

Way to go, Scott! I’m calling this one. Do you have any thoughts on a new assignment for this week?

I’ll post up some critiques tomorrow.

Thanks for everyone who took part. I hope you’re all seeing some improvement in your work. I’m definitely seeing growth and it’s very cool. Keep at it, everyone. Find new ways to push what you think you can do each week.

-B

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

Joe! Your line work, the variation and how you’re defining form and separating shapes is REALLY improving! I see it each week.

-B

Scott LeMien
    Participant

My Achievements

Voted for Brett. Ever see someone else’s art and realize your skill set is woefully deficient in some aspect that you weren’t aware of before seeing this other piece? Well, that happened to me regularly at tenton and I got that again here. Little things like the underside of the tongue, and the small three helicopters really sell it, plus, the thing is sitting immense before the tops of the buildings. It made me realize I had to salvage a better attempt if I wanted to learn something, so I went back for changes. Which is not to say that there isn’t a problem with the picture for me. Where it seems the closer arm tucks behind the closer leg it creates a bad tangent making me think it’s a Popeye type forearm. The helicopter rotor blades also run into this line, making me unsure which it was supposed to be. I figure it was a leg/knee because of where the other one is. Tucking the arms in works really well to make this thing bigger, and just that one tiny area is troublesome.

Steel came up with a very interesting monster as well, I like that you went dark with the monster skin and the glowing lines along it are then accentuated. I think your background sky is a bit too close to your monster skin in terms of value, though. As an example, lets say we only have 5 values: white, black, dark gray, medium gray and light gray. If you made your monster black outlines with dark gray skin and those white power veins, he might pop in front of a medium gray sky. IIf the rubble was some other value, say light gray, it might push back, maybe. Or it might not, just my $.02. want to add that this is a really great attempt and a way more creative monster than mine. Great job!

Knight gets the value separation I was trying to get at, and one thing I didn’t mention that he does real well is keep the areas of heavy, powerful (saturated) color small. I think if you went dark grey skin and medium gray sky it might have been more scary, though. I might keep the powerful blue on the outside as a glow edge, where it touches monster skin and tried going in with a lighter color in the middle for it to really light up. Great job!

Joe your piece has some great texture to it, the dragon is well rendered, the castle behind is suggested for scale. If there’s something I want to see more of, it’s the claw into the brick. Having the dragon’s shadow on the tower wall might help sell this, and pop the pieces flying off. Showing us the exposed depth of rock it ripped through would have also worked, even a slight white line.

My piece has issues with poor composition choices, crushing a tank was an afterthought. The car stuff rendered in front is haphazard and sloppy. Also, I am going to try and work on my stuff in more of a comics-making direction, hopefully, so I hope people here are interested in that. I’m a pretty good critic who’s also pretty good on getting down on himself and getting overwhelmed with what I can’t do, so I worry that my critiques might be too much negativity or seen as condescension. Hope that isn’t the case, though. Also, typing this on my phone so my proofreading might leave something to be desired.

Scott LeMien
    Participant

My Achievements

I do! I was thinking laying out a 1 page simple story. Even if it was just stick figures and shapes, to show storytelling and variety of shots. Examples that I can think of easily:

Dungeons and Dragons 1 page ads, Hostess Fruit pie comic ads, and Archie single page joke ads. Go as finished as you like, but the finish is not the goal, but can you tell a clear story? Can you make it seem exciting? Does that make sense?

If that’s no good or too vague, that’s fine, too.

Oh man, do I get a badge now? Woo hoo! Thanks for the votes, extra kind people!

Also, I wanted to clarify, I think everyone is a great critic of usually the other person’s work. It stinks how we (or I) can go through life with such blinders on as to what I’m doing wrong when it’s likely plain as day to everyone else. Everyone is a fantastic critic because they know what they like!

Brett Barkley
      Keymaster

My Achievements

Scott,
      I think that’s a great idea. Can you formulate it in a Subject/Concept? I try to think of these as literal art assignments, something I’d have to illustrate for work. Maybe a suggestion would be something like: Subject: Warrior Concept: 1 page story-use as many/few panels as you need to tell the following story: A warrior enters a room. A treasure chest/goal is in the center of the room. An enemy stands in his way. He overcomes the enemy and gets the treasure in the last panel. Something like that may work? It leaves a lot of room for interpretation and self-expression, but is also generally clear in what it’s looking for.

And yes, you get a badge. 🙂 You’ll get another for filling out your profile. Ha ha.

And I TOTALLY agree with the blinders comment. I HATE that in my own work. You can go through your professional life, not really seeing weaknesses, until someone can point them out and maybe offer some suggestions for overcoming them. That’s what I’d REALLY like for this forum.

-B

Scott LeMien
    Participant

My Achievements

One page comic ad. Layouts for editorial approval- Dungeon Explorers/Fantasy Characters explore dungeon. At least 3, but no more than 5. Suggest middle of ongoing story as best you can. Have them lose one of their number, though the fate of that character is uncertain, they must press on to find out. Traps, monsters, parlays, arguments among characters about what to do and best strategies are all fine, fit as much fun as you can handle. Don’t worry if game will not have these features yet, as it is still in development. Feature game case in last frame for ‘Never-ending Dungeon’ video game. See Dungeons and Dragons 1 page comic ads from early 1980s for ideas if stuck.

You can finish this more, but keep in mind, your editor may change it, and wants to see the roughs/Layouts first to show the video game people.

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

CREATE YOUR OWN GIANT MONSTER

ART BRIEF:
    SUBJECT: In honor of the new Rampage and Pacific Rim movies…and seemingly every other movie our kids enjoy, create and illustrate a giant monster of your own design! The sky is literally the limit here, as you’re free to go in any direction you’d like. But try to show us something we’ve never seen before.

CONCEPT: Draw your giant monster creation in the midst of some massive destruction. So, in order to truly show how massive your creation is, you’ll need some real world objects or settings to juxtapose with your creature creation.

Good luck!

The Rules:
    THE ART CLASH is a weekly art challenge. Each TUESDAY a new Art Clash challenge will be posted. You may work in ANY MEDIA you like, but you must stick to the brief of this week’s Art Clash. And please, no posting old work in the Art Clash. This is about encouraging growth through work, so we expect a new piece every time.

Your final art will need to be uploaded to an image hosting service (here are a few I recommend: Imgur, Google Photos and Flickr) and then may be posted here ANY time until SUNDAY evening at MIDNIGHT (EST). Voting begins immediately afterward and polls close on MONDAY at MIDNIGHT (EST). So don’t miss out!
    The artist with the most votes for the week by the close of the polls is declared that week’s winner and chooses the next Art Clash.

Scott LeMien
    Participant

My Achievements

Okay, for the reasons in the Instagram post I realized Brett did a lot of things right that I didn’t. Missing underplanes to make stuff look bigger (or the bottom sides, if you prefer), particularly as you go up the picture become more and more important. Also, I didn’t have enough stuff stacked in front of the big guy to make him seem big. All that, and it still isn’t as dynamic as Brett’s, but I will save that for critique time. Thanks for posting early enough to give me a chance to patch my entry and learn something.

Old one for comparison.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BgoqLf9F9s7/

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

Awesome, Scott! Way to come roaring out of the gate!

I’ll just post a few process roughs, in the event anyone is interested.
    First pass, done with a broad brush in Photoshop. This stage is just about roughing in shapes and coming up with ideas.

Second pass. Refining the forms I worked out from the first pass.

Third pass. This is more about the pencils. I’ve got a decent idea of the shapes now and am focused on setting myself up to make the inking a lot easier.

Ok, so I thought I’d maybe turn this whole Art Clash piece in to a brief tutorial on how I use reference. So, when the kids were brainstorming what they’d do for this contest, Mercy suggested a T-Rex. After they’d decided on the idea to do the Giant Monster Rampaging Through a City, I knew that I’d use a T-Rex. But I wanted to do something different with this giant monster than maybe we’d seen before. I liked the idea of the very distinctive shape of the Stag Beetle and I needed a skin texture, so I went with a toad. Finally, I needed a monstrous posture and posing, so I went with an ape. I’ve attached a screen capture of my desktop with the reference up, just to give an idea of what I was using for inspiration. I think the important thing to consider, when using reference, is to not constrain yourself to initial ideas. I knew I wanted to go for certain things, but don’t lock yourself in to those ideas. For instance, when I needed an idea for how the creases, or fold in the flesh would work, I looked at the toad. I had initially wanted to use the ape as a posture and pose reference, but when I started using the Stag Beetle pincers and needed a skull shape that work, I blended the T-Rex (thank you, Mercy) and the ape skull to get the look I wanted. Feel free to draw from your reference in unexpected ways when you’re trying to problem-solve. God already figured out how this stuff works, just copy that. 🙂

Thanks for looking!
    -B

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

My giant monster tearing through a city. Great challenge idea, Steel, Knight and Mercy!
    -B

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

Knight
    Participant

My Achievements

Joe Kemp
    Participant

My Achievements

FIRST HELPING HAND IconFIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED IconWAR FACE Icon

my little dragon

dragon

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar