ART CLASH WEEK 13: DRAW A ONE PAGE COMIC LAYOUT–STEEL AND KNIGHT WIN!!!

Forums THE ART CLASH 1.1 ART CLASH WEEK 13: DRAW A ONE PAGE COMIC LAYOUT–STEEL AND KNIGHT WIN!!!

Whose layouts sold you on the game?

You must be logged in to participate.
  • #1 Scott
  • #2 Brett
  • #3 Steel
  • #4 Knight

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Brett Barkley 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

FIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED IconWAR FACE Icon

Guys, I’m so sorry for the delay! Voting is open!

Calling it for Steel and Knight.

Scott LeMien
    Participant

My Achievements

I had a bit of a hard time picking between Steel and Knight. I think they realized that text, even made up text that might not be in a final ad, throws in a lot more atmosphere.

I think Steel’s piece was the more graphically interesting to me. Plus, telling me he enjoyed my ideas never hurts, either. Only problems I could see were in putting copy outside of what might have been safe zones.

Knight has the most novel opening two panel sequence of anyone, and that’s reminding me of a lesson I often forget. Namely:

Making > Improving
    Try not to get to the point where you are so aware of what you can do wrong that it keeps you from making stuff. You are the unique filter of influences too numerable to count with an ability to tell a story like no one else.

I’m still trying to get over this, so it can happen at any time or age. I put this advice down primarily for me, but also for anyone else who cares to listen in.

Brett’s looked great, too. I hope he looks to Steel’s piece for the authentic sounding people/characters who are enthusiastic about play and the fun/novelty of Knight’s piece.

It was fun, but man this vote took a long time to get to.

Brett Barkley
      Keymaster

My Achievements

Scott,
      Sorry the voting took so long to get to. The delays were TOTALLY my fault. I apologize for that. We’re back to our regular schedule now. I think this was probably the best Art Clash idea we’ve had. I think you TOTALLY get what we’re trying to do with this site. And fantastic work on your entry.

Making > Improving
      Try not to get to the point where you are so aware of what you can do wrong that it keeps you from making stuff. You are the unique filter of influences too numerable to count with an ability to tell a story like no one else.

This is some truly great advice. I need to take it myself. Thanks for posting it!
      -B

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

DRAW A ONE-PAGE COMIC SCRIPT

****Due to the Easter Holiday, let’s shoot for keeping this Art Clash open for an extra week. This is a good challenge and I don’t want people to miss it.****

(Layouts pictured on the left)

I thought I’d add a template that may be of help to everyone.

Subject: 3-5 Dungeon Explorers/Fantasy-style characters
    Concept: Do LAYOUTS for a one page comic-style ad. Suggest middle of ongoing story as best you can. Have them lose one of their number, though the fate of that character is uncertain, they must press on to find out. Traps, monsters, parlays, arguments among characters about what to do and best strategies are all fine, fit as much fun as you can handle. Don’t worry if game will not have these features yet, as it is still in development. Feature game case in last frame for ‘Never-ending Dungeon’ video game. See Dungeons and Dragons 1 page comic ads from early 1980s for ideas if stuck.

You can finish this more, but keep in mind, your editor may change it, and wants to see the roughs/Layouts first to show the video game people.

Good luck!

The Rules:
    THE ART CLASH is a weekly art challenge. Each TUESDAY a new Art Clash challenge will be posted. You may work in ANY MEDIA you like, but you must stick to the brief of this week’s Art Clash. And please, no posting old work in the Art Clash. This is about encouraging growth through work, so we expect a new piece every time.

Your final art will need to be uploaded to an image hosting service (here are a few I recommend: Imgur, Google Photos and Flickr) and then may be posted here ANY time until SUNDAY evening at MIDNIGHT (EST). Voting begins immediately afterward and polls close on MONDAY at MIDNIGHT (EST). So don’t miss out!
    The artist with the most votes for the week by the close of the polls is declared that week’s winner and chooses the next Art Clash.

Scott LeMien
    Participant

My Achievements

https://skwott.tumblr.com/post/172463699503

You might have to click through to see higher res. Instagram gave me issues because of ratio I used, so just posted on tumblr.

Edit: key first step for me was reading through other samples and trying to divine a similar script. There is a significant amount of text driven story going on, particularly in the early ones, with people announcing all kinds of things that would be hard to fit into a picture driven story that someone might be jumping into the middle of, so I included that. I looked at the ad as two half page designs, which should have had more attention to layout, tbh. I was mainly into breaking the story on a catastrophe in the middle instead of the end. My first scribbles were likely illegible, so I used a thick digital pencil to have something to show an editor.

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

Scott, once again, way to go! Awesome work! I thought I’d leave this challenge open for another week, but I guess, if more people post stuff, I’ll just maybe leave it open another day. Whatever works.

If you’d like to share some thoughts on your process, please feel free to post those as well, when you have the time. It’s really helpful to the artists trying to grow and develop their own work.

Thanks man and, again, great work!
    -B

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

Here are my roughs for the page.

Clearly, these are truly roughs and will need to be refined. But I wanted to share how I go about creating a page, in case anyone would like the insight, or could maybe make use of my technique.

When I’m working from a script, that’s pretty easy-you just try to fit what’s in the script on to the page. But when I don’t have a script, for instance on this piece, I find it a little more work to translate what’s written in to art. But what I find works really well is to think of each sentence as an idea. That doesn’t necessarily mean each sentence becomes a panel, but maybe it’s more accurate to think of each sentence as a bullet point of information. It’s important and should, to the best of your ability to fit it in to the narrative of the page, translate it in to your art. So try to take each sentence of story and then convert that to an idea. These ideas can then stand alone, or be meshed with other ideas on the page to create a panel.

In terms of actually doing the page, the assignment suggests we should be picking up in the middle of the story. Now, because of this, I don’t necessarily need to identify where the people are, in regard to how they got there, but I NEED to show their location. So I put in an !establishing shot. You don’t need to begin with an establishing shot, but EVERY page needs at least one location shot. Let your reader know where your characters are!

The rest of the page is broken down in to fairly basic points taken from the assignment brief. I establish location (and the number of characters in the team). Panel 2 is a tighter group shot. Panel 3 has one of the characters realizing another is gone. Panel 4 pulls back again to show there’s nothing but darkness out there beyond the rim of their torchlight. Panel 5 shows the resolve of one of the characters. He WILL push forward to unlock the magical door. Panel 6 (currently looks too much like panel 5, so I’ll be changing that angle…no worries) shows that same character rushing forward to unlock the door with the magical tome. Panel 7 (intentionally put down on the last tier by itself) shows the doors opening…from the inside, which adds suspense and drama.

This is generally how I try to tell a story. I hope this has helped. I’ll be posting up a more final layout shortly.

Thanks for looking!
    -B

****EDIT 1****
    I forgot to mention my placement on the page. If you’ll note, I generally try to keep my art within the borders of the inner dashed line. This line indicates the outermost area for text, meaning all text MUST fit within this space. This is not necessarily my artistic preference. I really prefer large, widescreen panels. However, after I had to rework and fix every page for Gutter Magic issues 1 and most of 2, because it wasn’t thought full-bleed pages worked aesthetically, I try to keep art close to this area…not always, but often. It’s just something to bear in mind when you’re working on your piece.

****EDIT 2****
    Here’s generally what I would go with for layouts.

I think I could have gone with a little more mixing up the shot angles and depth, but I think this generally gets the idea across enough for an editor to know where I’m going with the story.

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

Scott, this is the best Art Clash ever!!! I had so much fun, it was amazing!

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

Knight
    Participant

My Achievements

Knights. I like it.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar