ART CLASH WEEK 18: RED RIDING HOOD-WEREWOLF HUNTER-BRETT WINS!!!

Forums THE ART CLASH 1.0 ART CLASH WEEK 18: RED RIDING HOOD-WEREWOLF HUNTER-BRETT WINS!!!

Vote for your favorite rendition of Red Riding Hood-Werewolf Hunter

You must be logged in to participate.
  • #1 Steel
  • #2 Knight
  • #3 Brett
  • #4 Joe

This topic contains 18 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Brett Barkley 1 week, 1 day ago.

• Author

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

FIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED IconWAR FACE Icon

Voting is open! It’s great to have you back this week, Joe!

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

Joe,
    NO worries on the deadline! I leave it open an extra half day specifically for you (and anyone else that may show up late). 🙂
    -B

Steel
      Participant

My Achievements

This is my first time doing a critique, so let’s get to it.

Steel. One thing I see when I look at anime, I see thin and not sketchy lines. I need to work on this, I know I just started on this anime thing but if I want to make good looking anime, I need to work on this.

Knight. Another thing you need to work on (as well as me) are the hands. If you want to get rid of the sketchy lines off your pieces of art, knock down the level of opacity on the pencil layer and make a new ink layer and ink on top( This will make your lines a lot finer).

Brett(Dad). I was shocked when I first saw this piece, I think the skull looks a little bit flat, maybe some shadows around the outside of it would fix it :). I know the skull isn’t the biggest part of the piece, but it might help in the future 🙂 .

Joe. I love the line work you do… AMAZING!!! The right arm is a little long, and I think that’s about it for my first critique!!!

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

Wow, guys! Thanks for the votes! I really appreciate it. I was kind of hoping Steel would pull this one out with the inaugural post of his new art style, but maybe next time, bro!

This week’s new challenge is to design your own Sith Lord! Create your very own Lord of the Dark Side this week! Sounds cool to me. I’ll have the post up later today. And, inspired by Steel, I’m going to try to start doing critiques again. Ugh. I need more hours in the day.

Thanks again for the votes,
    -B

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

Ok. Time for some critiques.

Steel – I am SO impressed with your new style…that you took the time and consciously worked to develop a new style is a big deal, but I really like how you’re settling in to something new. This is one of the benefits of looking at different art styles–it gives you inspiration and more ideas to pull from. In terms of some Areas of Opportunity, I’d like to see you work a little more on hands (not making them look different stylistically, but developing a clearer, more confident approach that fits within your style). I’d also like to see you work more on the props, things like the wolf head and the axe are good examples. I’d also like to see you use a smoother brush, particularly for the contour lines. I have some comic inking brushes for Clip Studio you can have.
    BUT THIS IS TRULY AMAZING WORK AND PROGRESSION, STEEL! Keep it up!!!
    Knight – I REALLY love how you’ve set this up. Our eye moves from the left to the right. We see the wolf behind her, looking at her. We follow Red’s eyes to the wolf, which circles us back. Great work! I think spending more time on the pencil stage and developing your forms more, putting in more details (in the right places–you don’t have to go crazy everywhere…I’m still trying to learn this) would also help. Try to think of putting details in the important places and the places you want people’s eyes to go and stay the longest. If you think of it this way, you probably wouldn’t want the trees to be hyper-detailed, right? You’d want her face and hands (things people’s eyes go naturally) to be appropriately developed for your style. You’d probably also want the wolf, or at least his head and eyes (since that’s what’s helping to guide your eye to Red) to have more detailing. If you do this, you can fill other large areas with black. In this way, you’d use them as balance for the piece. I think this would have been more effective than the hatching over the wolf’s entire form. Go back and look at more Mike Mignola work. He does that SOOOOO well. I’d also like to see you also use a smoother line when inking. I can provide brushes for you, if you’d like. Let’s have a drawing night sometime soon. I think we could go over some of this then.
    GREAT WORK, KNIGHT!!!
    Joe – I have to say I’m SO impressed with how you’ve grown in a relatively short period of time, Joe. I love the face and overall design for this character. I think the inking is smooth and beautiful–maybe you could add some more line variation in places…and that’s a big maybe in my eyes (I was thinking around the hood, under the face area… generally in the flowing cloth throughout, but it’s not necessary). Literally, my only issue with the piece is with her arm length and the left more than the right. Whereas I think her right arm may be a little short (also, bear in mind she’s holding a sword, which will have weight to in and will at least slightly lower her shoulder and arm), the left arm is too long. What I have found helpful for arm length is putting the elbow right at the indentation immediately above the hips (I also use this area as a guide for the height of the belly button). I then have wrists line up with the crotch. When I’m drawing figures, I also try to use these little markers to compare the body parts to the rest of the body. It REALLY helps me keep everything proportionate.
    Joe, I want to say it again–this is really impressive work to me! I love this style! It has a really cool, unique look to it! I truly hope you see how you’ve grown! KEEP. IT. UP!

I hope this helps someone, a little at least. I’m really impressed with the growth I’m seeing!!!
    -B

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

RED RIDING HOOD – WEREWOLF HUNTER!!!

ART BRIEF:
    SUBJECT: Red Riding Hood-Werewolf Hunter

CONCEPT: A popular comic company is developing a new concept and have tasked you to provide a killer image to sell the concept. You can take this any number of ways, but the image MUST generate excitement for the property. Feel free to add a logo or text, as you like.

Good luck!

The Rules:
    THE ART CLASH is a weekly art challenge. Each TUESDAY a new Art Clash challenge will be posted. You may work in ANY MEDIA you like, but you must stick to the brief of this week’s Art Clash. And please, no posting old work in the Art Clash. This is about encouraging growth through work, so we expect a new piece every time.

Your final art will need to be uploaded to an image hosting service (here are a few I recommend: Imgur, Google Photos and Flickr) and then may be posted here ANY time until SUNDAY evening at MIDNIGHT (EST). Voting begins immediately afterward and polls close on MONDAY at MIDNIGHT (EST). So don’t miss out!
    The artist with the most votes for the week by the close of the polls is declared that week’s winner and chooses the next Art Clash.

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

Guys, this is the first time I’m going to be drawing in this style 🙂 , and the undersea shipwreck was the last time I’m ever drawing it that style again 🙂 .

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

All the way back in January, I’ve been practicing anime, I was NOT good when I first started out, but I got better, then I wanted to show every one what I could do 🙂 . You might notice that my cover image has changed, and if you go to my profile, my profile image has changed as well 🙂 . This is now how I draw, there is no more of my old art style, I really hated my old art style.

Knight
    Participant

My Achievements

steel that art is great!!!!!
    http://www.brettbarkley.com/Week 18 – Knight.jpg

Knight
    Participant

My Achievements

Leslie
    Participant

My Achievements

NEW TERRITORY IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED IconWAR FACE Icon

WHOA!!!! The reveal we’ve all been waiting for!!! Steel, that style is FANTASTIC. I LOVE THIS PIECE! You made us wait a long time to see it, but it was worth the wait! Love the line work, pose, all of it. I really like how patient you were, working on it for 5 months before telling anyone or revealing it. Very proud of your work, Steel!!!

Leslie
    Participant

My Achievements

NEW TERRITORY IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED IconWAR FACE Icon

Knight Man! Dude, this is one of my favorite pieces of yours. I LOVE how the wolf is behind some of the trees, lurking……… creepy and excellent. You did an awesome job on this one!!! It looks like you enjoyed it, you know?!

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

Red Riding Hood, Werewolf Hunter!
    -B

Joe Kemp
    Participant

My Achievements

FIRST HELPING HAND IconFIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED IconWAR FACE Icon

missed the deadline but loved the subject so here is mine:

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

I can’t wait to see it, buddy! It’s all about trying and experimenting and growing.

REALLY looking forward to seeing this week’s piece from you!

-dad

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

THIS WILL BE MY BEST PIECE YET 🙂 AFTER I SAW MY RESULTS, AND LOOKED AT MY OLD ART, I SAID I WOULD NEVER GO BACK 🙂

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

Wow, thanks Mom,I’m glad you like it. Yes, the new art style that I was going for was anime, I’m so happy you like it 🙂

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

HOLY SMOKES JOE, your line work in AMAZING bro 🙂

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

KNIGHT, ONE OF THE BEST PIECES I’VE SEEN YOU DO, YOU PUT A LOT OF WORK INTO IT 🙂 AND YOU SPENT A LOT OF TIME 🙂

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar