ART CLASH WEEK 21: DESIGN A NEW STAR WARS STORMTROOPER CONCEPT – THREE WAY TIE!!

Forums THE ART CLASH 1.1 ART CLASH WEEK 21: DESIGN A NEW STAR WARS STORMTROOPER CONCEPT – THREE WAY TIE!!

Whose Stormtrooper would you entrust to subjugate the galaxy?

You must be logged in to participate.
  • #1 Steel
  • #2 Brett
  • #3 Knight
  • #4 Scott

This topic contains 14 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Brett Barkley 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

FIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED IconWAR FACE Icon

DESIGN A NEW STAR WARS STORMTROOPER CONCEPT

ART BRIEF:
    SUBJECT: Design a new Stormtrooper concept for the Star Wars universe.

CONCEPT: We’re heading back to the Star Wars universe–this time to create a new Stormtrooper to hunt down the Rebel Scum across the galaxy! Design your Stormtrooper for the harsh environs of deep space, the desert sands of Tatooine, the swamps of Dagobah, or beyond! It’s your choice. BUT, you MUST begin your design based on the original Stormtrooper concept.

Good luck!

The Rules:
    THE ART CLASH is a weekly art challenge. Each TUESDAY a new Art Clash challenge will be posted. You may work in ANY MEDIA you like, but you must stick to the brief of this week’s Art Clash. And please, no posting old work in the Art Clash. This is about encouraging growth through work, so we expect a new piece every time.

Your final art will need to be uploaded to an image hosting service (here are a few I recommend: Imgur, Google Photos and Flickr) and then may be posted here ANY time until SUNDAY evening at MIDNIGHT (EST). Voting begins immediately afterward and polls close on MONDAY at MIDNIGHT (EST). So don’t miss out!
    The artist with the most votes for the week by the close of the polls is declared that week’s winner and chooses the next Art Clash.

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

Snoke saw his death in the future, so he trained the best, strongest, toughest Storm Troopers to be his new royal guards who swore to protect him at all costs, maybe the end of The Last Jedi turned out different!!!

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

Stormtrooper Marine. After far too many casualties while boarding spacecraft (namely in the opening scene of A New Hope), the Empire developed an advanced marines unit, designed for quick kills in close quarters.
    -B

Knight
    Participant

My Achievements

Next time I will do better

Scott LeMien
    Participant

My Achievements

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

Great to have you back, Scott!
    Steel was wondering what brush you used to get the ink look for your piece. I think it looks great, too.
    Care to share?
    -B

Scott LeMien
      Participant

My Achievements

Thanks! This used a kuretake brush pen,a refillable brush with sable hair, I think, though the ink isn’t permanent. I should use my #2 or #4 brush, but was working really fast.

Brett Barkley
        Keymaster

My Achievements

Scott,
        I love the look of this piece. The funny thing is, I’m so used to working digitally (the guys and I all work digitally) that I was really surprised when you said it was traditional. We all thought you’d just have a Photoshop brush file or maybe something for Clip Studio. Ha Ha. But in any case, rushed or not, I’d love to see you do some sequential work in this style.

I’d like to get back to traditional someday…once I restock a whole bunch of supplies.

Great work!
        -B

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

I really like that brush of yours Scott , and I totally understand being in a rush, again, thanks for joining, its good to have you back!!! 😀

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

Aargh!
    I just looked at the votes and it looks like a tie. Steel, Scott…do either of you guys have anything you’d want to do?
    -B

Scott LeMien
    Participant

My Achievements

Thank you very much for the kind words, Steel! Your drawing was awesome.
    It looks to me like you won, Brett!

If you want a new subject, I’d say draw a series of panels, like 2 or three, like you would see in a tier on a comic page, or a strip. Include lettering, since it’s a great skill for cartoonists to practice. The lettering doesn’t have to make sense,but panels should follow some sense? I’ll include an image of my favorite comic artist whose lettering makes me weak in the knees, too, Alex Toth!
    Toth's Question Story for Charlton Bullseye Page

Why do I suggest such weird draw offs?
    Generally, most of my drawing ideas are trying to move away from posing single characters, because, to some pro you admire somewhere, you will never be ready to move past that stage. Then, the more specific a step of a drawing phase I ask for, say roughs, ask for more (a page or three). In this case, since we are going from story to pencils to inks (if we do my suggestion) ask for the minimum expression of panel to panel continuity: two.

In my own drawing, I hate how hard it is for me to just place characters in front of and behind stuff. I wanna work on that more. I’ve had pros tell me I’m nowhere near good enough to make my own stuff, pros who say not to internalize that kind of stuff, and pros who think I should be making stuff, already. They’re all right, they just give advice as to what they would do if they occupied this skin. With their mind. But I have to find some weird way to get the mind to find motivation, reward and exploration, study and analysis all on its own to get this stuff done.

Brett Barkley
      Keymaster

My Achievements

Nah, I called it officially last night. I’d like to try to stick to the schedule as much as possible. My apologies (and gratitude) to the late voter. But it will work perfectly, as I really like your idea, Scott. Maybe we could do it as a sort of single strip, maybe like a daily or weekly comic strip. How does that sound to you? Pretty close to your original idea?

Steel, what do you think? Scott’s given a suggestion for a cool concept. Do you have an equally cool subject?

On the subject of drawing and additionally what pros do and don’t say, eh…everyone’s got an opinion. I think the very best thing anyone, pro or aspiring pro alike, can do is draw something every day, then compete with what you did yesterday. But just doing it, just putting pen to paper and trying illustrate what you see in your mind, is in my opinion, the most important thing. If you think it could help, I could add a weekly web-strip-style script section. I’ve been wanting to do something like that, something that would require a weekly, consistent commitment. But this would definitely help with growth. I can work up some scripts and set up a new section in the forums for it, if there would be interest.

Scott, in terms of placing figures in the environment, if it helps, one thing I try to do is design the scene as a whole before worrying about the figures. I try to just kind of block in the general shapes, where figures and environmental objects are combined forms. Then, I can separate things when I refine those shapes into objects. That seems to work for me.

I love talking art, so talking shop is always welcome here. Who knows? Maybe it will actually help someone grow. 🙂

-B

Scott LeMien
        Participant

My Achievements

My idea might be a deterrent to entry for the fun of the draw off, I sometimes lose sight of that.

Brett Barkley
          Keymaster

My Achievements

I understand. I tend to gravitate toward simpler things to be more inclusive, however I love challenging myself and I love the idea of this forum being something that really benefits the participants.

Ok, Steel, I have NO IDEA what you’ve spelled, but I get the general idea. 😜 I’ll post it up this evening. It doesn’t have to be a total story, but try instead to think of it as the top tier of a comic page or, as I prefer, as a weekly/daily single strip.

Additionally, I’d really like it if everyone interested in growing would chip in with things they’d like to grow on. I’ve been meaning to post up tutorials…but if I knew what people were looking for specifically, I’d have a better idea of what kind of stuff to post. Scott, this time around, I’ll post up roughs and show you, generally, how I block in shapes and how I formulate that in to environments.

Guys, I’m really excited about this challenge! Thanks Scott and Steel!

-B

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

Scott, I really love the concept we can do it, you said this is something you need to work on right, well this is what the Art Clash is all about, growing. So let’s do the one tier for a comic, but the comic is about Star Wars, specifically about how Boba Fet escaped the carcone pit (if that’s how you spell it 🙁 ). Great idea Scott, I REALLY love the subjects you do, man!!! I hope it works out well. Also I really love Alex Toth art, it reminds me of my favorite artist, Jack Kirby.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar