ART CLASH WEEK 22: PRODUCE A STAR WARS COMIC STRIP – KNIGHT WINS!!!

Forums THE ART CLASH 1.1 ART CLASH WEEK 22: PRODUCE A STAR WARS COMIC STRIP – KNIGHT WINS!!!

Whose Star Wars comic strip do you most want to read?

You must be logged in to participate.
  • #1 Scott
  • #2 Steel
  • #3 Knight
  • #4 Mercy
  • #5 Honor
  • #6 Brett

This topic contains 25 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Brett Barkley 2 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

FIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED IconWAR FACE Icon

PRODUCE A STAR WARS COMIC STRIP

And some Sarlacc Pit reference:

ART BRIEF:
    SUBJECT: Produce a complete Star Wars comic strip; pencils, inks, colors (if you choose to use color) and text/word balloons.

CONCEPT: We’re sticking with Star Wars again (gosh, I hope no one gets Star Wars Fatigue…is that even possible?!?!?!), but this time we’re going to be laying out a single strip, including word balloons.

Here’s the general idea you’ll be developing:
    Boba Fett awakens in the Sarlacc Pit. What happens next?

You may split the strip in to tiers, as Al Williams did in the Star Wars piece above, but your final piece cannot exceed the measurements of that piece, nor can it be smaller than Bill Watterson’s Calvin and Hobbes strips. I’ll provide a template below, but you’ll be responsible for everything else. See how far you can take your comic script. Can you produce a complete strip?

Here is the template you will use:

Good luck!

The Rules:
    THE ART CLASH is a weekly art challenge. Each TUESDAY a new Art Clash challenge will be posted. You may work in ANY MEDIA you like, but you must stick to the brief of this week’s Art Clash. And please, no posting old work in the Art Clash. This is about encouraging growth through work, so we expect a new piece every time.

Your final art will need to be uploaded to an image hosting service (here are a few I recommend: Imgur, Google Photos and Flickr) and then may be posted here ANY time until SUNDAY evening at MIDNIGHT (EST). Voting begins immediately afterward and polls close on MONDAY at MIDNIGHT (EST). So don’t miss out!
    The artist with the most votes for the week by the close of the polls is declared that week’s winner and chooses the next Art Clash.

Scott LeMien
    Participant

My Achievements

I’m going to work on paper, and hopefully my default drawing size for a tier of panels that’s 5.33″ x 10″ is okay. It winds up fitting three tiers on a 5″ x 8″ surface, on a folded in half letter page. This also lets me ink full size on a piece of standard cardstock when I print out a lightened version of the pencils. I took an inking course and want to get back to inking by hand with my brush.

Also, I only have one movie’s Star Wars shirt, even though Empire is my favorite SW flick, my shirt is for RotJ, and that’s what I’m wearing today. Already laid out my tier, but there’s a lot of thinking for me to do here, still.

Steel
      Participant

My Achievements

Me too man!!! The Empire is my favorite, I do NOT like the Rebels at all!!! And I love the idea this round bro!!!

Brett Barkley
      Keymaster

My Achievements

Scott,

Ah, the age old battle of the cartoonist trying to get more space for his comic strip. Poor Bill Watterson knows it well. 😉

The active image area on the template above (which I have addressed by updating the template with measurements) ranges from between 4.9″/4.5″/3.15″ to 10″. Try to get it as close to that as possible, but clearly it’s ok if you can’t. The reason I wanted to go with the measurements is because we’re often required to produce art that fits the specific need of the publisher. If we ignore that, it can cause a lot of problems. Again, it’s no big deal if you want to go with a different size of proportions. It’s more to help by giving you another requirement that can be a limitation or a launching point, depending on your perspective.

I’ll do a better job of giving guidelines that apply to traditional art.

Thanks, man. I’m looking forward to seeing what everyone does!

-B

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

Ok. Here are my roughs. I hope they make a bit of sense. I wanted to do a couple of things with these, namely tell an interesting story and end on a cliffhanger, which will bring the reader back next week. I don’t pay a lot of attention to Boba Fett’s actual weaponry…I honestly don’t know if he has a flamethrower on his right wrist, but nonetheless he does here.

I hope the storytelling is generally clear, but at this stage, it’s almost in the back of my mind as I focus on the shapes and diagonals while blocking out the forms. I’m thinking a lot of guiding the eye at this stage. Do I know what all the shapes are? Not really, because, unless it’s the focus of the panel, it’s secondary. I just know Boba Fett is waking up in the Sarlacc Pit probably with other things, groggy and beginning to fight the tentacles inside. The other shapes I’ve blocked in are just ways to guide the eye.

I hope this maybe helps someone a bit.

Thanks,

-B

Scott LeMien
    Participant

My Achievements

https://skwott.tumblr.com/post/174670439943/process-roughs-and-pencils-really-just-drawing

My thinking is pretty minimalistic. I usually think in big shapes and have to keep stuff simple. I’m lazy, and think my skill set is closer towards generic communicator than high octane artist. I like to think through what is the minimum I need to draw to get my idea across. So, for me, establishing shot, climbing out and leaving stuff behind was what I wanted to say. I also have no problems with using words to summarize what I’m drawing, Scott McCloud might call this duo-specific, I call it crystal clear.

I had to draw his helmet a few times and look up a tutorial on lava to get the melt my goopy effect I wanted, and took a few liberties, I’m guessing.

Scott LeMien
    Participant

My Achievements

Sorry. This wound up being rushed and nothing really worked. Sometimes you can only say you’re glad to be finished with a thing when you can’t praise anything else about it. Lettering was too cramped, and too small, tbh. Inking is beyond terrible. Bad tangents, no character recognition, all kinds of stuff. I need to work in a more structural round of drawing. Should I get to it, I will post that, but let this stay if I don’t. Gonna be a bit scattered for next couple of weeks as my wife leaves for China for work, so I’m single parenting it for a bit.

https://skwott.tumblr.com/post/174706823353/lettering-is-pretty-unreadable-want-to-redraw-all

Scott LeMien
    Participant

My Achievements

Hi! I’m back again. Hope you don’t mind all my posts, but this incorporates more of my thinking, I like this direction better. Drew with super simple shapes which may or may not show up in finish, trying to overlay shapes more. Then, marker for things that had to be black, in this case, visor line and pit, then guessed at what would make good overlap of black and white shapes, and where I had to cheat with thin black shapes, all in pencil.

Hey Brett, feel free to delete these if you care to.

https://skwott.tumblr.com/post/174725082343/guide-for-fix-and-spotting-black-plan

Brett Barkley
      Keymaster

My Achievements

Scott,
      I’ll only delete your work if it gets more votes than mine.
      😉

No, man. No way. Thanks for sharing. And truly thanks for sharing your thought process. I like what you’re doing with the second iteration of panel 2. Think of it as framing. You’re using the black from the shape in the background to frame your figure…positive and negative space (trust me, I need to work on this myself). Great work, man!
      -B

Steel
        Participant

My Achievements

LOL I couldn’t stop laughing !!!!! LOL LOL LOL LOL!!!!!!

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

This one sucked the life out of me!!! And it was also the first Art Clash I’ve done on Photoshop!!! So I know you guys can’t read the stuff I wrote, so I’ll write it here: BOBA FET; It’s only been a minute, the battle is still going on, I can’t fail the Empire; Maybe if– What the?; The ship is still here!!; I can get there by using my jet pack, I have to be quick!: LUKE SKYWALKER; Heads up, he’s back!!!: BOBA FET; And I mean to kill this time!!!; You won’t live after this one!!! THE END

Knight
    Participant

My Achievements

Next time im going to do way better!

Knight
    Participant

My Achievements

Knight
    Participant

My Achievements

Knight
    Participant

My Achievements

Next time I will crush you all!!

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

Mercy’s. I’d love to get a better idea of what’s happening here. I’ll see what Mercy and tell me.

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

Honors. I love that last panel with Boba Fett standing over the Sarlacc.

Scott LeMien
    Participant

My Achievements

Steel
      Participant

My Achievements

Amazing Scott!!! One question, who is the person behind Boba Fet in thhe last panel??? See, I’m already hooked!!! 😉

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

And mine. I couldn’t get to full inks for this piece. And, speaking of positive and negative space, yeah…I’ve gone completely crazy on this, so the tiny details overpower the piece, rather than help it. I’m not entirely pleased with the execution, though I loved the idea for this Art Clash.
    I’ve got to draw a lot more.
    -B

Scott LeMien
    Participant

My Achievements

Steel- really well drawn, love your angle choices, I think your colors are a bit dark for your line work, I love the Cliffhanger you ended on.

Knight- you get a lot of mileage out of the black panel, and it works! Love the clear colors, incorporating a thermal detonator, also really love the shadows on the sand of the Sarlacc’s tentacles!

Mercy- great idea including the ships from Jedi. Your actions are super clear and clean, you already tell comic stories well it seems. It looks like the Sarlacc wants to adopt Boba Fett as a baby?? But he’s not having that! Great work!

Honor has another great looking piece, love Fett’s wide legged stance!

Brett- voted for this one. I see you stole Knight’s first panel idea. Your second, big panel is awesome and your flame throwing one great as well. I can never tell wherr/how/why your rendering works on your textures and half tones. I’d like to see a tutorial or something on your thinking on that. That said, I think the lettering needs life. Even if you lettered on computer and then traced it again in your hand and did the same with the balloons, it would have a lot more character. My $.02.

In the future, big ones like this should be some kinda other thing, I think? I do want to make comics more than draw people though, but maybe I need to work on that self-motivation thing.

Oh, and Steel, that shadow dude was supposed to be Fett after he took off his armor.

Steel
      Participant

My Achievements

Awesome man for telling me who that guy was, good story man, I wish the Sarlacc pit had mercy on at least his armor, his amazing armor!!!

Brett Barkley
      Keymaster

My Achievements

Scott,
      Thanks so much for the vote! I don’t think I deserved it this week. I was REALLY disappointed with what I turned in this time. I think my issue this time around is the pieces are too busy; there’s not enough negative space. Solid forms are alright…balanced solid forms that play off of one another, with details that cut in to them are ideal. What I ended up with was itty bitty details everywhere. If you can, try to study the Al Williamson strip above. Though the color (while beautiful) get in the way a bit, you should get an idea of what I mean. Al Williamson knows the subject of each panel and he never loses sight of that; the storytelling is clear. You don’t lose the figures, but they’re not floating in space (ha ha) either. I tend a meander a lot more. THAT is my issue. We tend to associate importance of an image based on contrast, weight and/or details within the image. I lose sight of that too often–I really lost sight of that this time around.

In terms of your input on the letters, you’re totally right-on. I had a font I developed years ago, but I think I’ve lost it. And you DO NOT want to see my actual handwriting. 🙂 But I’ll try to come up with something. I’d like to do more of these strips. I had been wanting to do several quick weekly online strips on this site. I’d even thought about putting a section on the forum that would feature generalized weekly scripts to give artists interested in it a starting point for doing their own web comics. If you’re interested, I’d be more than happy to do something like that. But nonetheless, I’d like to get faster and more efficient with doing weekly strips. And I’ll do something more with the lettering…and maybe even finish the strip next time. 😉

Can you give me a better idea of what you’d like me to give some process details on? Write it out to me like I’m a very, very tired, very distracted zombie. Ha Ha. But if I’m understanding you correctly, you’d like some information on how I develop the lights, darks and midtones. If I’m correct, I’ll definitely be able to post something up that may help you.

Again, thanks so much for the vote. And a big thanks for your energy this week! It’s very inspiring. I love the comics medium. I always have. I just don’t get to do as much with it as I want to…which is maybe why it would be a good thing to do more sequential Art Clashes.

Thanks, man!

-B

Scott LeMien
    Participant

My Achievements

Congrats to Knight! We brought blasters and Knight brought a Thermal Detonator.

And Brett,save your energy for your strips! My curiosity is a bit idle. Etherington Bros. With their hundreds of tutorials, scratch that itch pretty well for me. I do plan to make my own comics, writing and drawing, someday. Currently working through a couple of books on manga writing.

https://skwott.tumblr.com/post/174826827093

Brett Barkley
      Keymaster

My Achievements

Scott,
      I’d been planning on setting up a tutorials section anyway. Here’s the one I did last night. I hope it answers a few of your questions.

And I love that sketch! That’s a really bold and confident inking style. I really hope you keep pushing that!

-B

***EDIT*** And thanks for the heads-up on the Etherington Brothers! We’ll all check out their site.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar