ART CLASH WEEK 23: THE MOST FEARSOME T-REX!!! BRETT WINS!!!

Forums THE ART CLASH 1.1 ART CLASH WEEK 23: THE MOST FEARSOME T-REX!!! BRETT WINS!!!

Whose is the MOST fearsome T-Rex?!?!?

You must be logged in to participate.
  • #1 Scott
  • #2 Knight
  • #3 Steel
  • #4 Mercy
  • #5 Joe
  • #6 Brett

This topic contains 20 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Joe Kemp 4 months ago.

• Author

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

FIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED IconWAR FACE Icon

THE MOST FEARSOME T-REX

***A BRIEF NOTE BEFORE WE BEGIN***
    This week begins the soft rollout of The Art Clash 1.1. The primary difference in this iteration is each week’s Art Clash will feature two tiers of competition: sequential and pin-up. Anyone entering can choose to illustrate that week’s challenge in a sequential storytelling form (page templates will be provided here) or as a stand-alone, pin-up-style image. Build and illustrate a story of your own around an Art Clash challenge, or wow your audience with a single powerful image. It’s up to you. We want to foster all levels of creativity here, so this will provide an opportunity for all artists to take their work in whatever direction he or she desires and to whatever degree of finishing.

ART BRIEF:
    SUBJECT: The most fearsome and terrible Tyrannosaurus Rex to ever walk the earth.

CONCEPT: This is the big one, folks! This is the most terrible of the terrible lizards. We want you to bring a Tyrannosaurus Rex that is truly king of all the dinosaurs!

Good luck!

The Rules:
    THE ART CLASH is a weekly art challenge. Each TUESDAY a new Art Clash challenge will be posted. You may work in ANY MEDIA you like, but you must stick to the brief of this week’s Art Clash. And please, no posting old work in the Art Clash. This is about encouraging growth through work, so we expect a new piece every time.

Your final art will need to be uploaded to an image hosting service (here are a few I recommend: Imgur, Google Photos and Flickr) and then may be posted here ANY time until SUNDAY evening at MIDNIGHT (EST). Voting begins immediately afterward and polls close on MONDAY at MIDNIGHT (EST). So don’t miss out!
    The artist with the most votes for the week by the close of the polls is declared that week’s winner and chooses the next Art Clash.

Scott LeMien
    Participant

My Achievements

Steel
      Participant

My Achievements

Great work Scott, it’s amazing that you make great work… in less then a day!!! Impressive. most impressive!!! (get it, because I said something Darth Vader said 🙂 !!).

Scott LeMien
        Participant

My Achievements

Ha! Yup, I get It! Great T-Rex this week, looks like you did some solid research and found some good reference or maybe did some studies?

Steel
          Participant

My Achievements

Thanks man, and your right, I did get a picture of a pretty good looking T-REX and did A LOT of studies. I really like the backgrounds you do!!! And the line work, I love the line work!!!
          Knight, I really like the god rays you did in this piece, you put a lot of work in this.

Knight
    Participant

My Achievements

I think I worked hard on this one.

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

I’m getting better 🙂 .

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

Mercy’s Most Fearsome T-Rex!

Joe Kemp
    Participant

My Achievements

FIRST HELPING HAND IconFIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED IconWAR FACE Icon

here is my quick sketch – didnt have much time but i was sick of missing these

Steel
      Participant

My Achievements

Glad you could join, Joe. I really, really like his head!!!

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

I really enjoyed doing this as a sequential story.
    Introducing…
    …The Most Terrible Lizard!
    -B

Steel
      Participant

My Achievements

This is amazing, I see the T-REX outsmarted them by getting their food and their wool

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

Joe! Great to have you back, buddy!

Scott, I love your creation!

Great work, everyone. I’ve opened the polls.

-B

Scott LeMien
    Participant

My Achievements

Lots of great entries, voted for Brett’s despite that lettering, 😉 because it’s a comic and that effort is amazing. My suggestion:
    I’d consider drawing the shape of the lettering/word first, divide it up into spaces that are angled or in whatever perspective you want, then chisel the letters to within that space.
    Brett, how do you feel about the big two-tiered panel reading-wise? I always feel like there’s a chance someone is just going to go left to right across the board, then go down. I almost feel like the two tiered panel only works on the left most panel, tbh. But I never considered using it, and getting me to think aloud about it makes me want to do stuff in this Sunday strip style. Gotta look at your total ratio here and see if I can do one, too.

Steel, I love your T-Rex, and it made me think about why I avoid such difficult things like cuts in my monsters, they’re hard to make look convincing! You did a really good job with the oozing blood. If you think it would work you could take off the dark brown shadow underneath the blood and then cut and chip away at some of the black line under the bloody cut so it would appear and disappear it might pop more? Dunno for sure, but the cut might then have an uneven shadow as it rode over the planes of the dinosaur face. Your call, it’s already great as is, and it was my second choice.

Knight, love your composition! Diagonal lines on t-rex and mountain side, but then tail and trees point us back to dino, plus sun rays leading right to him. Great!

Mercy, yours was amazing! We see in the volcano! Awesome! Dripping blood! Two tones on that skin! Love That! Pterodactyl in the background!

Joe, yours was an awesome start! Great front on pose! Great brow/menacing look and I think you got the hands of it really well, too!

That said, can’t believe my croco-rat isn’t going to win this. 😂

Steel
      Participant

My Achievements

OMG Scott, you’re 100% right about mine, I need to work on the darker tone of the original color. When I went into the Anime style, I really took a lot of coloring ideas and tips from the Anime character ALL MIGHT from MY HERO ACADEMIA and I think I grew, but I have things to work on, and you pointed out what. I really like the critiques you do 🙂 .

Scott LeMien
        Participant

My Achievements

Sent your dad something that explains what I was talking about better.

Brett Barkley
      Keymaster

My Achievements

Scott,
      Thanks SO much for the thoughtful critique! Ha ha. I KNEW I was going to get busted for my lettering on that freaking logo! But I deserve it. I like your suggestion about blocking out the overall shape of the word. I’ll give that a shot…though I’m REALLY tempted to just go with some sort of font. ha ha. I HATE lettering…which is why I didn’t put it in the comic. As Leslie (and every teacher I’ve had up through college) can tell you, I have the world’s worst handwriting.

I’m really glad you asked about that panel. I had many of the same concerns…particularly as I often failed, or at least flailed, in trying to use blocks of black to guide the eye. This whole piece was designed after the old comic strip-style of storytelling, right down to the two-tiered panel. I think it would have been more effective if I’d have used blacks to guide the eye better. As it is, I think it works…ish. I left the negative space in the upper left corner and angled panel 4 (and everything in it) to panel five. I think for my next piece (because I’m going to try to force myself to think sequentially, instead of pin-ups, so I plan on doing strips for each Art Clash), I’m going to use positive and negative space MUCH more powerfully as a guide for the eye. I REALLY blew it on this at certain points (the figures in the lower right part of the last panel is probably the biggest failure), but this one really reinforced for me that contrast is a very powerful tool.

So I think I learned some things this time around. I usually get a script, then spend all this time trying to illustrate what amounts to stills or individual shots, but as I’ve been going back and studying old Al Williamson and Hal Foster comic strips, I see they treated the images graphically to guide the eye panel-to-panel. That’s what I want to go for, so it will be a change for me and my art style. But I think it’s a chief area where I can and need to improve. I once read something where J Scott Campbell roughed out the whole first story for Danger Girl before he had a script. That is EXACTLY what I’m trying to develop going forward. I want to flex and build my storytelling skills. I think it will help me tremendously with speed of output.

Scott, if you think you’d like to use the three tier format, I’ll post up a template for it in the Resources section. I used an old Charles Schultz Charlie Brown comic for the measurements and a Red Ryder comic for the three-tired, large panel format. Let me know. It’s no problem.

Thanks again for the critique!
      -B

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

I’m going to call this one. Thanks for the votes, guys. Truly. I didn’t think I’d pull this one out.

Scott – This one got my vote. The colors and graphic design immediately struck me with this piece. I think the inking is fantastic. And I love the design and novel take on the T-Rex. But probably what I enjoy most about the piece is how easy it feels, how it feels like you didn’t labor over it, but just freely expressed yourself. I think it should have won and I’d really like to see you drawing more, Scott.

Knight – I love the God rays, Knight! I want you to spend more time on the drawing stage. I like how you’ve set up the image. Great job making this thing look fearsome, too! I really love the novel design for your T-Rex. No one else did the spiny plates along his back. And the blank white eyes–very eerie! Knight, this is a great job and I think one of your very best entries. You’re trying to do a lot here: designing, posing, penciling, inking and coloring. And I’m REALLY please with how well you did…AND you got it in early. I can’t wait to see what you bring next time!

Steel – This is a really solid piece! I love the composition of the image and how you’ve given us scale. And I like the design for the T-Rex. I’d like to see you pushing your imagination a little further in your design, though. Try arming yourself with some reference to start from, just to get the basics down, then take it where you like. I also think we might be able to tone down some of your color choices. The blue of the sky is a little overpowering. This can be as easy as finding colored art you like and just taking color samples from it. But just fantastic expression and storytelling in your image. I read it all VERY easily and clearly. Great work!

Mercy – This one really scares me. I don’t know if it’s the dripping blood, or the cold, dead eyes that seem to penetrate my soul…DEFINITELY fearsome. I love the design for your T-Rex and the colors are amazing! Great work!

Joe – Joe! It’s great to have you back! Great sketch! I love it. It reads clearly enough and, in the event your were on a deadline and had to turn something in, this would suffice, because it’s consistent. You didn’t labor over one part (the head, for instance) and leave everything else rough. I’d like to see more work from you. How can we help encourage you to draw more regularly, man? Let me know.

Speaking of which, I’d like to share a video the kids and I have watched that has really inspired us. I think this could be a help to most of us and I’m going to immediately implement some of what he suggests. Give it a view, when you have the time and be sure to let me know what you think:

Great work, everyone!
    -B

Joe Kemp
    Participant

My Achievements

FIRST HELPING HAND IconFIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED IconWAR FACE Icon

thanks for the kind words – I have been drawing just have been working on some personal projects – here are a couple of things from the last couple of weeks that i have been working on while i have been absent from the challenges
    the long halloween
    (^homage of Tim Sale’s The long halloween^)

xmen
    (^xmen the animated series tribute^)

this is america
    (^response to Childish Gambino’s This is America ^)

Brett Barkley
      Keymaster

My Achievements

Great work, Joe! And thanks for sharing. I see you have been putting in a lot of work. I apologize for assuming otherwise. You posted at exactly the same time I was trying to work up a way to encourage more regular daily drawing, particularly for myself.

I hope you don’t mind, but I took a couple minutes to go over the Long Halloween homage piece. It’s been a long time since I read that book, but as I recall, I really liked how Tim Sale staged his shots in that book–they were deceptively simple, but actually had a lot going on in terms of balance. I worked these up before I went back to look at the pages, but I think my thoughts here pretty much stand… generally. I hope you don’t mind.

In this shot, something about the diagonals didn’t feel quite right, but I don’t think that’s the real issue after looking at it. I think Tim Sale does a fantastic job of blocking in negative space, then breaking that up with smaller aspects of the positive space. In the original image you’re referencing, he did use an intricate carpet design to break up the negative space on the floor. Maybe that would help here. I get the feeling that certain aspects in the lower third of the image are floating.

I worked up this general idea. I’m not certain it’s perfect, but for me, I like more of its feel. I try to use the simple lines of the room to frame the figures and I lower the horizon line to make it a bit more imposing (though after looking at Tim Sale’s original work, I don’t think that’s necessary). I think the takeaway here is to look at your areas of negative space and see what you’re contrasting that with. The shadow areas of the wall works better than the lower? Why? Personally, I think it’s because of what you’re breaking up the negative space with (faces as opposed to feet). Just some thoughts.

You put a lot of work in to the X-Men piece. The Wolverine figure is my favorite. If I squint, I tend to lose the middle area of focus a bit, as most of the spotted blacks are around the periphery. Also, Wolverine and Cyclops seem off in terms of height, like they’d be standing on different surfaces. Scott had a great suggestion earlier for me about designing logos. He suggested taking the overall form of the design, getting that right, THEN breaking it up in to smaller units. The thing is, I don’t know why I hadn’t considered that. It’s actually embarrassing. That’s how I draw forms…I don’t know why I wouldn’t have done it with logos too. Ha ha. Just a suggestion I thought could work.

I really like the last piece. I like how you mixed it up and overlapped forms. Probably my only quibble is with the silhouetted figures at the bottom right. I’d place them on the lower black bar. Don’t center them in that space. You don’t center things in the rest of the composition. I also like your art style here. Maybe it’s the balance of solid forms and line. But you should pursue more like this. Again, just a thought.

Wow. Sorry to write so much. But I hope some of it makes sense. Great to have you back, man!

-B

Joe Kemp
    Participant

My Achievements

That is wonderful feed back – I genuinely appreciate you taking the time to not only review but really analyze what was working and what wasnt working. Both the X-men and the batman drawings were done one character at a time and then i puzzled them together, I really think this hurt the overall composition – hearing your thoughts on them I might revisit how I put them together and try to figure out a more elegant way of balancing areas of negative space with areas of detail/black (now that you mention it the blank space where the carpet was in the original does make it look like they are floating).
    I am really pleased that you like the “this is america” piece – I was so blown away by that music video that I stayed up all night drawing my feelings out. That might be part of why it is more organized and balanced – I did it with the end goal in mind instead of sputtering out a character a day. I also tried to steal some influence from drew struzan posters!
    You can check out the individual drawings on my instagram if you are interested – I was particularly happy with the penguin and catwoman – I was experimenting with using more black “areas” on those 2 and was happy with the result.

I am really flattered you took the time to do a deep dive on these – CRITIQUE like this is always welcome!!!!! I really want to get better.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar