ART CLASH WEEK 24: GHOST RIDER–VOTE NOW!!!

Forums THE ART CLASH 1.1 ART CLASH WEEK 24: GHOST RIDER–VOTE NOW!!!

Whose Ghost is the most?!?!?

You must be logged in to participate.
  • #1 Steel
  • #2 Scott
  • #3 Mercy
  • #4 Brett
  • #5 Knight

This topic contains 23 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Brett Barkley 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

FIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED IconWAR FACE Icon

Voting is open. Sorry for the delay. I have the worst time with my poll plugin.
    -B

Scott LeMien
    Participant

My Achievements

My favorite parts of this week’s challenge involved drawing something people often dread drawing: horses! I had to pull out my drawing books and found something that helped me a lot with horse structure.

My biggest regret was that I didn’t google horse racing from the start. There are some amazing perspective shots of horses running that would have made for incredible panels.

My concerns going forward, is that there’s things I don’t like about digital. Sometimes it’s like wearing a jeweler’s eyeglass, and even when you zoom out on your page it doesn’t really show you exactly how it will look when you print it out. Even with my bad eyesight, I feel like I would have a better handle on the wholeness of the page only by physically handling it. And I’m someone who started making comics digitally first, about 15 years ago. Digital makes complicated things easier, though, Like layered compositions.

I also wonder if my comic reads as sloppy or rushed to others. Tbh I’m looking at comics that are leaning towards broken lines and cast shadows, which is about as opposite as you can get to modern comics, with clean closed lines and colored shadows.

Things I tried to do in my comic that you might not be aware of:
    Panel 1: wanted clear line from woman’s pointing arm to next panel.
    Panel 2: wanted them looking backwards, so you go down a row to next set of panels. If you notice my layouts and pencils, I couldn’t draw the horse right with him turned slightly away. I later found a horse that was in that pose, with a jockey on it, and then I shrunk my devil guy on accident, over-relying on the reference to get that high-pose, and since jockeys are small… also, horse was kinda rushed.
    Panel 3- you can see this wasn’t in layout. I wanted to explain the big collision panel better, so I had to juggle panels and sizes to fit it all in.
    Panel 4- one of my favorite panels. I look at this as two panels. In my foreground, the sign is foreshadowing. The shadow on the cliff by the N in the sign closes off the distance from the riders further off. Plus, having them small makes the upcoming action really set up well, imo.

Panel 5- I wasn’t sure if this worked beyond layout. I like the falling back figures, not sure if the insufficiently rendered white horse is okay, or if there’s too much hoof contact with ground confusion. I loved the idea of them tumbling back though, from up on high, and the sharp angle Ghost Rider cuts in on also leading you to next set of panels. Dirt splatters are too sloppy.

Panel 6- I don’t think this worked until I added some space on the right and more falling horse than I had I in layout. I like the text and barely suggested chasm and overlap of falling figures. I’m kinda happy with this panel.

Panel 7- had this from get-go. Seems okay.

Okay, enough about me.

Steel- I think you got an amazing sinister mood down for yours. The red eyes on the horse, the projecting shotgun, the heavy shadows all mean business. I’m guessing that the effect around his head is the phosphoresence of his costume. Right on! Got my vote!

Brett- looks great! Panel 2 is my favorite, tbh. Can’t get enough of upshots! Also, Like the landscape rendering on the next panel. Ghost Rider being the surprise works as a great page turner, since we will turn the page to see exactly how he surprised who I’m assuming is the bad guy leader. Much better drawn than mine. Great stagecoach setup, too, with watch reinforcing strategy. Leader staying back in shadows, good stuff. Only thing I might question is decision to cut off riders at horse legs as they go forward. Good opportunity for more demanding, exciting angle on then.

Mwrcy- your storytelling is always unbelievably good! That dark sun, the almost vampiric face on ghost rider, the sign, the trapped, almost sad animal on the ledge below with the wolf above. You have to get her story for this picture, Brett!

Knight- great, clear pose! It’s a difficult thing to get right and you hit it out of the park! His gun is still smoking! Your color choices always stand out for their clarity as well.

Okay I’m exhausted from typing, and already anxious about missing time towards next week’s challenge.

Brett Barkley
      Keymaster

My Achievements

Scott,
      Thanks for sharing your process and your thoughts. Personally, I love your entry. And I love the work you’ve been turning in lately. I don’t think you should make the connection between open lines and unfinished or rushed work. It looks fluid to me. I’m really enjoying it, truthfully. I’d like to see you do more with this style of work. I don’t think your work has to look exactly like the styling of modern American books. I think it just has to (First) read well and (Second) look good while reading well. Clarity of the read is most important. I think clarity can be sacrificed in trying to create finished, beautiful, striking pieces of art (I’m thinking of myself here). But they’re sequential story panels first.

I had some thoughts for you, which I hate to even share, because I think this strip is really, really good. I think it works much better than the dinosaur strip I did last week. But take with a grain of salt. I love that you’re guiding the eye in the first panel. Maybe use blocks of black (maybe a cast shadow from Ghost Rider behind the figures, kind of like an arrow pointing to panel 2?) to guide the eye as well. That way you’re using your larger forms as a more subconscious reinforcement to what your focus forms are doing. I like the mountain in the background of panel 2. I think it works to set up the scene for the rest of the piece. Look, I’ve had SO many conversations with editors who will tell you this or that…personally, I think it’s often just the same canned speech, because it takes thought and time to give a reasoned critique…something you won’t have a lot of at a convention. Your horse reads as a horse and fits in with the art style and level of detail throughout. I don’t think you need to worry about getting everything picture-perfect. I think this works great for the art style you’re using.

I had this thought for the second tier, which I think is generally pretty well set up. I love how Ghost Rider is climbing the mountain in panel 3 (against the flow of the read–he’s working, fighting back. GREAT!). In panel 4 (I love the sign, I think having him against the gutter loses the impact of the upcoming collision a bit. I try to think of a panel space in terms of thirds, generally attempting to place figures of most importance on those lines or four points where they intersect. I think moving Ghost Rider closer to that lower right intersection point makes him less lost. And finally, in panel 5, I just changed the Ghost Rider’s angle a bit to point more toward collision.

I don’t think these are essential changes. I just think they help with reading clarity a little. And, truthfully, they’re just my thoughts. Someone else may say something different. I think remembering it’s clarity/readability first and maybe thinking of the Rule of Thirds as a quick and easy guide to what you put in the panel’s interior, are great guides. But definitely, definitely keep going with what you’re doing for the art style.

Great work, Scott! You grow and become more comfortable with your work each week! It’s FANTASTIC to see. Don’t doubt yourself now.

-B

Scott LeMien
        Participant

My Achievements

Brett, a super thank you for taking the time to see this piece through your eyes. Sometimes I feel like I have clarity of principle and approach in my art, but it’s rare. Often I feel rushed, Like a chicken missing its head. I like how your direction of ghost rider reinforces the right side push of the character from his previous panel better than my solution. Thank you again!

If I tried something like that with yours, I would feel like I’m lying, because no ideas really occur to me beyond what I already stated.

Brett Barkley
          Keymaster

My Achievements

No worries, man. We try to encourage and lift one another up. It’s what I originally wanted to do with the Art Clash, but we ended up moving literally in the first month. I need to try to do more critiquing for everyone on here. Your critiques inspired me to kick myself in gear and start doing more of what I intended originally for the site. It just helps that the majority of participants live under the same roof I do, so I don’t have to do so much typing at the moment. 😉

-B

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

Hmmmm…So we’re all tied. I like that. Ha ha. Anyone want to suggest a new challenge?

-B

Scott LeMien
      Participant

My Achievements

Steel suggested My Hero Academia below, which is a great idea

Want a different idea? Draw either Doraemon or make up your own Doraemon like character ( an android cat from the future?)

Steel
        Participant

My Achievements

I really like your ideas, let’s do “DRAW ANY SCENE FROM MY HERO ACADEMIA”.

Scott LeMien
          Participant

My Achievements

That works!

Can we make up a new scene with different pairings or small stories? Like fan fiction?

Brett Barkley
            Keymaster

My Achievements

Does what I set up work? If not, I’ll change it to whatever works best for you guys.

Now I just to need to do some research and find out what this is about, so I can draw a page…

-B

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

GHOST RIDER

***A BRIEF NOTE BEFORE WE BEGIN***
    Just a reminder that we’re currently in The Art Clash version 1.1. The primary difference in this iteration is each week’s Art Clash will feature two tiers of competition: sequential and pin-up. Anyone entering can choose to illustrate that week’s challenge in a sequential storytelling form (page templates will be provided here) or as a stand-alone, pin-up-style image. Build and illustrate a story of your own around an Art Clash challenge, or wow your audience with a single powerful image. It’s up to you. We want to foster all levels of creativity here, so this will provide an opportunity for all artists to take their work in whatever direction he or she desires and to whatever degree of finishing.

ART BRIEF:
    SUBJECT: The original Ghost Rider, Carter Slade.

CONCEPT: Illustrate your very best best rendition of the phantom of the Wild West!

Good luck!

The Rules:
    THE ART CLASH is a weekly art challenge. Each TUESDAY a new Art Clash challenge will be posted. You may work in ANY MEDIA you like, but you must stick to the brief of this week’s Art Clash. And please, no posting old work in the Art Clash. This is about encouraging growth through work, so we expect a new piece every time.

Your final art will need to be uploaded to an image hosting service (here are a few I recommend: Imgur, Google Photos and Flickr) and then may be posted here ANY time until SUNDAY evening at MIDNIGHT (EST). Voting begins immediately afterward and polls close on MONDAY at MIDNIGHT (EST). So don’t miss out!
    The artist with the most votes for the week by the close of the polls is declared that week’s winner and chooses the next Art Clash.

Scott LeMien
    Participant

My Achievements

I guess he had some supernatural/horror themed western stuff,too.

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=196411

And Frazetta covers? Man, look at issue 4!

My first layout:

https://skwott.tumblr.com/post/175057742828/uhhh-stage-1-words-and-panel-sizes-lots-of

Second layout:

https://skwott.tumblr.com/post/175064366853/second-layout-for-western-ghost-rider-strip

6/22: only half done with pencils. Something there is making me not want to return to the project, likely all the thinking I left for later stages. Might have to ink on computer for time.

Pencils: added devil character, too, to add to the horror/weirdness

https://skwott.tumblr.com/post/175173109258/pencils-might-shrink-down-art-in-panel-3-some

Final:

https://skwott.tumblr.com/post/175184164583/finished-comic

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

I really think that I’m getting better at doing Photo Shop. I’ve really been working on the anime, so next round, I’m going all anime, but back to my current art clash, I went for a more cartooned style this time, as you can see, I mixed a bull with the horse to kinda make a horse that feels like a wild, tough horse and a more cartooned style in general.Well, I had a lot of fun on this one, most of all, I LOVED THE FACT THAT I TOOK THE COVER OF RED DEAD REDEMPTION FOR THE POSE OF GHOST RIDER!!! 🙂

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

Scott, I love seeing the process. I see you’re considering playing with the panel sizes. I don’t know that you have to. You may consider simply altering some instances of framing (or the figures’ sizes in a panel). But I don’t think even that’s really necessary. Check out some old Al Williamson or Hal Foster strips. Those may give you some ideas on how to keep their shots exciting. This is shaping up really well, though. Great work!

And Steel…WOW! Great work! You’re right! I think you’re getting a better handle on Photoshop. Love it!

And, to keep up with Scott’s process sharing, I thought I’d post my roughs. I did these over an hour or so tonight. I’d like to go straight to inks from this, but I still prefer penciling a bit more.
    -B

***EDIT*** Looking at it here, I’m not certain I like the main bad guy using the barrel of his gun to raise his mask. I certainly don’t think the angle works. But we’ll see…

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

Mercy’s entry!
    -B

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

I also changed my profile. This last 2 weeks, I have been putting a lot of work into my anime… which means my anime has gotten a LOT better. If you’d like to see the steps I took to get where I am now, here you go. 🙂 I had a spare sketchbook, so that became my “All Anime” book, my first step was with a My Hero Academia comic as reference and I drew most of the characters in it, then I moved on and drew a new set of characters like Kylo Ren, Superman. I got bored… and moved on, then I did the first characters with NO reference at all, and I was surprise to see that my “re-draw” was EVEN BETTER THEN MY FIRST ROUND!!!

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

FANTASTIC entries all around this time! I love it!

Ghost Rider page!
    -B

Knight
    Participant

My Achievements

Sorry I am late.

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

Impressive, I love that now you’re doing the thing where you show the steps.
    Steel

Love the blue tones you put on the piece 🙂 .

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

Love the blue tones you put on the piece 🙂 .

Scott LeMien
    Participant

My Achievements

That’s cool! I know someone once said something to the effect of practice with reference in front, then away, then compare and repeat is a great way to get better.

Maybe pick something good like My Hero Academia if you win?

Also, thanks for the compliment on the blue coloring!

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

OMG OMG OMG OMG, THAT IS WAS WHAT I WAS GOING TO DO!!!!! DRAW A SCENE FROM MY HERO ACADEMIA!!!
    Do you watch it???

Scott LeMien
    Participant

My Achievements

Yup! Watch it with my son. We are up to (spoilers) Bakugo’s rescue from Villains and after All Night’s showdown w/ All for One. In the manga we are only on volume 11, which is about the same place.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar