ART CLASH WEEK 25: MY HERO ACADEMIA!!! – STEEL WINS!!!

Forums THE ART CLASH 1.1 ART CLASH WEEK 25: MY HERO ACADEMIA!!! – STEEL WINS!!!

Who will be the My Hero Academia Champion?

You must be logged in to participate.
  • #1 Scott25.00%1 vote
  • #2 Steel50.00%2 votes
  • #4 Brett0%0 votes
  • #5 Knight25.00%1 vote

This topic contains 25 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Brett Barkley 1 week, 5 days ago.

• Author

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

FIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED IconWAR FACE Icon

MY HERO ACADEMIA

Additional information and background for this week’s challenge can be found here.

***A BRIEF NOTE BEFORE WE BEGIN***
    Just a reminder that we’re currently in The Art Clash version 1.1. The primary difference in this iteration is each week’s Art Clash will feature two tiers of competition: sequential and pin-up. Anyone entering can choose to illustrate that week’s challenge in a sequential storytelling form (page templates will be provided here) or as a stand-alone, pin-up-style image. Build and illustrate a story of your own around an Art Clash challenge, or wow your audience with a single powerful image. It’s up to you. We want to foster all levels of creativity here, so this will provide an opportunity for all artists to take their work in whatever direction he or she desires and to whatever degree of finishing.

ART BRIEF:
    SUBJECT: Illustrate a character(s) or scene(s) from My Hero Academia.

CONCEPT:  Regardless of your normal art style, you MUST draw on manga and anime influences for this piece.  Sometimes you’ll be asked to draw something in a different style.  This is one of those times.

Good luck!

The Rules:
    THE ART CLASH is a weekly art challenge. Each TUESDAY a new Art Clash challenge will be posted. You may work in ANY MEDIA you like, but you must stick to the brief of this week’s Art Clash. And please, no posting old work in the Art Clash. This is about encouraging growth through work, so we expect a new piece every time.

Your final art will need to be uploaded to an image hosting service (here are a few I recommend: Imgur, Google Photos and Flickr) and then may be posted here ANY time until SUNDAY evening at MIDNIGHT (EST). Voting begins immediately afterward and polls close on MONDAY at MIDNIGHT (EST). So don’t miss out!
    The artist with the most votes for the week by the close of the polls is declared that week’s winner and chooses the next Art Clash.

Scott LeMien
    Participant

My Achievements

http://bokunoheroacademia.wikia.com/wiki/My_Hero_Academia_Wiki

Wiki has a ton of info for newcomers.

My writing tip if you are choosing characters for a scene:
    Main thing that distinguishes manga from comics from a writing standpoint that I can think of, is the manga hero endures some horrible event.. and finds Herculean ways to blame themselves for it. They’re hyper responsible to whatever their ideals are. Like early ditko Spider-Man on steroids, with 2 or 3 times the agonized panels and crazy time compression of climactic events . Also, somewhat like early new mutants. Good luck!

I have storied out this as a 3 pager, but I need to just focus on getting one done. Layout for my story. Simple story: in some bad guy base, Yaoyorozu and Kirishima, two minor characters, have a small adventure. Momo attempts to hack the security terminal as Kirishima stands guard, but Momo is accidentally activating defenses.

https://skwott.tumblr.com/post/175340686758/layout-new-page

Later pages built on Momo’s escalating doubt as Kirishima starts getting overwhelmed, until yay, teamwork rally!

Pencils are vague. Inking program is going to be doing some of the lifting for backgrounds and perspective.

https://skwott.tumblr.com/post/175379798663/pencils-my-hero-academia-fan-page

Done!

https://skwott.tumblr.com/post/175408026493/final-page-with-some-hasty-tones-planned-3-pages

Brett Barkley
      Keymaster

My Achievements

Thanks, Scott!
      I’ve added your link as an additional resource.
      -B

Brett Barkley
      Keymaster

My Achievements

Holy smoke! …this just gets more and more confusing. Ha Ha. You crazy kids and your anime. 😉

Fantastic layout, Scott!

-B

Brett Barkley
      Keymaster

My Achievements

Scott,
      I LOVE your page! Great line work! The characters look great and have just the right amount of cute. I’ll have critiques up soon, but have you ever looked at much Adam Warren art? He may be a cool style inspiration for you.
      -B

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

This is just my battlefield 🙂 .

Brett Barkley
      Keymaster

My Achievements

With that kind of talk, I may just have to bring it…
      Once I figure out what this story’s about enough to to make a sequential page of art.;)
      -B

Steel
        Participant

My Achievements

Is that a threat? I still will win on this, I’ve put a LOT of time in this one, and I really like yours Scott.

Scott LeMien
          Participant

My Achievements

This is actually crazy. As an example, my tumblr usually gets at most 15 or so likes on an image, with 99% of the time getting none. I had 4 followers.

I just gained 10 followers and had over 200 likes, and added a few tags for the manga and characters involved. Insane how popular it is with the tumblr community! This blew my mind!

Steel
            Participant

My Achievements

Good job!!! Keep it up, this is what the Art Clash is all about!!! And thanks about mine, I put a lot of work into it

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

This is the first time I’ve put a LOT of time into this, but I really like this one, the scene is from the practical exam with team Bakogo and Midorya vs All Might, I really liked this scene and chose is, one more thing, does any one know why All Might has a blue eye???
    And good luck everybody!!!

Scott LeMien
      Participant

My Achievements

This looks awesome!

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

Aaaaaaand here’s my My Hero Academia page. I think I took more time trying to research this than I did drawing it. So, if you’re looking for this to reference anything from the manga…it’s a secret, never-before-revealed battle. 😉
    -B

Scott LeMien
      Participant

My Achievements

Love how you handle the thicker, more muscular characters! Great All-Might! I guessed Shoto Todoroki instead of Midoriya at first, but looking at the costume instead of the hair tells me Steel has it right. Great epic explosion, too!

Brett Barkley
        Keymaster

My Achievements

Thanks, Scott. I didn’t handle the hair ans well as I wanted. I really wanted to use the All-Might shadow in panel 3 as foreshadowing…I think I could have done that better. I did try to switch up my inking. I think I could have pushed the whole manga style thing a bit further…or better.

Oh, and you’re supposed to read it right to left (that was a REAL challenge–ha ha)

-B

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

This is so sweet, I love your piece, I like that Midoriya is older and the sneak attack with All Might!!!

Knight
    Participant

My Achievements

I was late this time.

Scott LeMien
      Participant

My Achievements

Yours came out great, Knight! You and Steel chose the same battle that actually happened at UA!

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

So sorry the poll is up late! I was under the weather today. Voting is open, though and I’m going to have to take some time deliberating on who will get my vote.

WOW!

-B

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

It looks like Steel was true to his word and this was indeed his battlefield. And I want to make certain everyone knows that Steel lost his first piece and then completely fought back, saying he’d make the second one even better. What a great show of determination and what a vindication for you, Steel, to have come back from what could have defeated you and to have won! Congratulations, Steel! All Might would truly be proud. 🙂 🙂 🙂

Critiques:
    Scott – This one got my vote. I really liked your work on this. I apologize for not knowing the characters, so I’ll just refer to them as male and female. I thought the female character had a very nice style and was consistent and recognizable throughout. The male character, at times, could be difficult to read (in panels 2, 5 and 6). I’ve tried to consider what the issue is and I’ve wondered if it’s the gray tone, but I don’t think that’s the issue. I think it’s that, at times, you’re a little inconsistent with how you weight the foreground and background characters. I think the black in the background can compete with the characters a bit more than you’d want for a manga, which is generally supposed to be read more quickly than Western books(This was a struggle for me). I went back and forth comparing your original roughs with the finished work and that’s the conclusion I came to. Maybe trying to keep the heavier line work and toning on the figures would have helped a bit. Our eyes generally go to the areas of contrast first. But in all I really like the energy of this page and I love the storytelling.

Steel – FANTASTIC work! Steel I could tell you love the subject matter, because you put so much effort in to the piece. I have a couple suggestions on a piece I worked up below. First, I give some suggestions on how you structure the foreshortening of the leg. I want you to think of the upper leg as a cylinder. Simple, right? Then think of the lower leg as another cylinder. If you can get the general idea down, you won’t run in to trouble when you add the musculature–It just becomes padding on that cylinder shape. I also shrank All Might’s head. He is giant. This is one way of making that come across a little more clearly. And finally, I lightened the background a bit. I think this helps your image. Always remember the focus of the image or panel. THAT is what gets the most weight (either by line work, by contrast, or by color saturation. Think of it like this: what you spend the most time on, put the most work in to, is more than likely your focus).

Knight – Great framing and a strong shot! I think you could get a little more power out of the image by cropping it a bit and by lightening the buildings. I know you put a TON of time in to drawing those windows, but they get lost. And the figured getting slammed to the ground gets lost as well. Color can be tricky. But try to think of it like this: You generally don’t want to have BOTH the background and the foreground darker or more saturated when you’re coloring. Try to make one darker/more saturated and the other lighter/less saturated. You want the thing we’re supposed to be focusing on to really pop. I also redrew how the figure on the ground’s left arm is angled. Before, it was pointing off-screen. We don’t want that. I angled it back in to the focus of the image. Here on some of my thoughts:

And for something new that I found recently and may be of help to you all, I’ve found some of Alex Toth’s rules for art. He was a brilliant artist and I hope it can help a bit, particularly in light of some of what I mention above.

Alex Toth’s Rules

-Eliminate the superfluous, the unnecessary. Be lazy!
    -Edit your art continuously, at every stage. Save work!
    -Focus on the remaining (important) picture elements.
    -Emphasize what is important in a scene. Save drawing!
    -Isolate such key elements (as one does in a view finder).
    -Closeups only when needed: face(s)-for mood and expression, and objects-small, difficult to distinguish in other ways.
    -To set a scene, a place, to establish a locate, etc., go to a wide shot, angles okay (down/up, etc.)-but again, simply!
    -Then, cut to tighter shots-pace them, for interest, etc….(wide/one shot/two shot/group/close-up/tight close-up).
    -Establish light source, if need be, for dramatic mood and for blacks, drop shadows, etc., on figures & objects and walks, as correctly placed as you can make ’em!
    -Eliminate such light/shadow work in other shots.
    -Simplify, simplify, simplify, throughout!
    -Remember, some scenes will and must be pedestrian, unimportant, and dull- because they are “bridges” between key storytelling scenes. As in any story telling form, movies, TV, books, plays, music, opera, painting, etc., you can’t knock ’em dead with every shot. Remember, this is what gives pace to a story, visual commas and periods in a pictorial “paragraph” or “sentence”! These are the resting places in an otherwise moving storm! Use them! Without fear!
    -Some such “rests” or “pauses” can be heightened in pictorial interest by way of a pretty scene of quiet mood-if your locale allows! Don’t stretch logic to do it!
    -By learning to eliminate unnecessary objects, figures, and background, etc., you can focus on what is left to draw in the shot-and draw it well enough to “carry” the shot!
    -In other words: strip it all down to essentials and draw the hell out of what is left!
    -All of this advice is based on Roy Crane’s critiques of my work-and he is absolutely correct, on all points!
    -In the Wash Tubbs and Captain Easy strips and in Buz Sawyer, with Sundays focused on pal Roscoe Sweeny, his work of fifty-odd years demonstrates its validity! in his work, as in no other of his contemporaries’ offerings, you will find an extraordinary sense of balance, in his design of space within a panel frame, a strip, or a page! His simplicity allows us to see the use of shapes within his pictures, how they create tension, action or repose…clearly!
    He avoided confusing details!
    -To quote something just read: “To add to truth only subtracts from it!!! (Isn’t that beautifully put?)
    -Authentic devices, objects, machines, locales, furniture, buildings, etc….to lend credibility!
    -As Sickles put it: “Understand how a thing is built and you’ll have no trouble drawing it through!”
    -Spend more time thinking-about what and what not to draw, and how-and you’ll do less drawing!
    -Pre-plan, pre-think…Thus, save work and time!
    -But-whatever you do, do it well!
    -Tell the story as best you can! Bend to that storm!
    -Be honest to it. Give it all you’ve got! Enhance it!
    -Study films, photographs, paintings, etc. for composition! For cutting, cropping out of nonessentials, pacing, punch, economy, forceful and direct impact. But also for beauty and subtlety-tension, suspense, action, humor, light and dark, balance, line vs. mass, ad infinitum! Use it all!
    -Analyze everything you see-be critical! Positively so!
    -See-observe-remember! Build up your memory file!

Steel
      Participant

My Achievements

Thanks Dad!

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

Okay, I think I’ve got it, I was trying not to do another anime based idea, because I know it might be hard for some to draw in another art style, and the fact that My Hero Academia is an AMAZING show, so I came up with the idea… Illustrate a scene from your favorite show, game, or movie . I think half this week is just going to be trying to figure out what movie/show/game actually is!!! LOL !!!

Scott LeMien
    Participant

My Achievements

Steel, I voted for yours, that rendering blew me away. Nice highlights popping that figure. I also loved Knight’s pose, plus your dad brings pro level attention and work each week, it’s hard to pick!

My one critique for both Knight and Steel is to have a file where you draw a single window. Then, make a row of windows from that window. Then a building side of windows. Lay that over your building shape with a perspective tool. Erase extra windows that dont fit instead of stretching them all in to jam them all in. An example of when I did this was I think my giant monster challenge?

Brett, the only observation I might disagree with is a brief slide where you suggest maybe manga lacking detail. Some, like deathnote, have crazy amounts of rendering, but they also have teams with tons of assistants and burn themselves out going crazy. Even MHA has pages that are insane, plus their line widths are so much lighter. On yours, I dont have much to critique. Maybe adding some motion lines/energy around all mights accelerating heel as he falls down behind villain? All might seems to always attack with a zillion lines. You have motion lines on him already, but maybe fill/shape that air? Panel 2 is a dynamic pose but something.. more seems to be needed there, but I dunno what, tbh. Man, I love that explosion, too! Such an good page. I’m not nearly confident enough laying out stuff as things get smaller.

Boring ramble:

Some things about mine I wanted to share: when I first did my layouts, I traced my manga volume, and looked to see how far copy went in on those pages. Somehow I totally blew it on my finals, they aren’t these proportions at all, and I have no idea where I went wrong since I was pretty thorough.

Looking through a few volumes of MHA for layout generalities, I found that the borders between tiers or rows were thick, while the ones between panels were often thinner or without much noticeable consistency. Also, crazy amounts of diagonals, so I went a bit nuts with that.

I feel like my comics get a bit claustrophobic with how tight I crop my figures and actions and start to get a medium sameness after a while, since I like drawing actions, figures and faces and dislike most other things, lol. I think I could have established the whole scene layout better and more consistently (doors, terminal, features, where gun came out. As it is, its mainly just grids on a page. :/

I enlarged the panel 1 figures because making them tiny didn’t seem to serve a purpose. The guy was so weird for me. He has this costume I almost never see him in and had a hard time wrapping around his face and simplifying enough for distant shots. I also feel like the girl ages about 8 years from panels 1 to 2, looks cartoony different in panel 5 (I redrew her face many many many times and never came out right) and a bit boyish in 7. I have tons and tons of issues drawing consistently, I’m terrible at it. It’s always been an issue, even with trying to study structure or come up with unique shapes/3d primitives to help my thinking. Not looking for a quick fix though, just saying I’m aware of it.

I love my lettering in panels 1 and 2, dont mind it in 5, too cramped elsewhere. Will likely use this chiseled balloon effect elsewhere. I dont mind the big words.

I have a toth book or three with those quotes, so I love them. I’m also a patreon of a great student of Toth’s, Jesse Hamm who I remember from tothfans, an old website from the early 2000s. He often includes essays on Toth.

And Adam Warren is totally completely incredibly amazing, so thanks for that suggestion. I sometimes think I like other artists more until I see his stuff and gasp with amazement. It was a fun week, totally surprised how popular my image became. I have a commission to be worried about now, so hopefully I can still get this challenge done, too!

Brett Barkley
      Keymaster

My Achievements

Scott,
      Sorry for the confusion. I didn’t actually mean to suggest manga art lacks detail. I think there’s abundant evidence for much of it being loaded with detail. I believe what you’re referring to is what I was suggesting in terms of giving weight to the focus characters in a scene (maybe?). Or maybe it’s what I was suggesting about manga typically being designed for quicker reads than Western books. I think the two kind of go together. First, I definitely don’t think this applies to all manga. But I think as a general rule, traditionally, manga is designed for faster reading. I think much of this is accomplished through shot clarity, where a panel quickly and concisely conveys its idea and focus. Again, I think it does this through careful consideration of weighting the focus (line weights, spot blacks, toning, etc.). But those are my thoughts. You’re free to disagree.

However, in terms of what has become the sort of art theme for this week, I thought I’d share something I found a long time ago (Sorry, I don’t recall where. However, I’ll credit the creator, if they’ll let me know.). These are general suggestions for how to use value and color warmth to make your focus in an image really pop.
      Value:

Color Warmth:

Maybe this will help clarify a little of what I was talking about this week.

And consequently, AWESOME news on the commission and how you’re blowing up on Tumblr, Scott! Way to go! The Art Clash–getting people creating and getting people work! I love it! That’s what it’s all about.

Scott LeMien
        Participant

My Achievements

You actually didn’t say that thing I thought you said, so sorry, Brett. I read too hastily.

And yeah, that contrast image suggestion is cool. A lot of times I don’t think of it right. Like, if the girls arms here are primarily white and she’s primarily black and white, he should be something other than white where he is behind her arms, maybe primarily black with some gray. In fact, I may try your suggestions for correction first, since they’re actionable and pretty specific. Thank you so much!

I might do a hanna barbera show… space ghost? Frankenstein jr.? Galaxy trio?

Brett Barkley
          Keymaster

My Achievements

Steel and I have been talking. He may refine his idea just a bit when they’re out of martial arts practice tonight.

Maybe. If it doesn’t mess up anyone who has already begun.
          -B

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar