ART CLASH WEEK 26: ILLUSTRATE A SCENE FROM ANY BOOK, SHOW OR MOVIE-KNIGHT WINS!!

Forums THE ART CLASH 1.1 ART CLASH WEEK 26: ILLUSTRATE A SCENE FROM ANY BOOK, SHOW OR MOVIE-KNIGHT WINS!!

Who captured the moment best?

You must be logged in to participate.
  • #1 Steel
  • #2 Knight
  • #3 Scott
  • #4 Brett

This topic contains 14 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Scott LeMien 5 days, 14 hours ago.

• Author

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

FIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED IconWAR FACE Icon

RECREATE A SCENE FROM ANY BOOK, SHOW OR MOVIE

Additional information and background for this week’s challenge can be found here.

***A BRIEF NOTE BEFORE WE BEGIN***
    Just a reminder that we’re currently in The Art Clash version 1.1. The primary difference in this iteration is each week’s Art Clash will feature two tiers of competition: sequential and pin-up. Anyone entering can choose to illustrate that week’s challenge in a sequential storytelling form (page templates will be provided here) or as a stand-alone, pin-up-style image. Build and illustrate a story of your own around an Art Clash challenge, or wow your audience with a single powerful image. It’s up to you. We want to foster all levels of creativity here, so this will provide an opportunity for all artists to take their work in whatever direction he or she desires and to whatever degree of finishing.

ART BRIEF:
    SUBJECT: Illustrate a scene from any book, show or movie.

CONCEPT:  Recreate any scene in your own style. This one is wide open, so it could be a challenge. Just pick a scene you enjoy and recreate it in your unique vision.

Good luck!

The Rules:
    THE ART CLASH is a weekly art challenge. Each TUESDAY a new Art Clash challenge will be posted. You may work in ANY MEDIA you like, but you must stick to the brief of this week’s Art Clash. And please, no posting old work in the Art Clash. This is about encouraging growth through work, so we expect a new piece every time.

Your final art will need to be uploaded to an image hosting service (here are a few I recommend: Imgur, Google Photos and Flickr) and then may be posted here ANY time until SUNDAY evening at MIDNIGHT (EST). Voting begins immediately afterward and polls close on MONDAY at MIDNIGHT (EST). So don’t miss out!
    The artist with the most votes for the week by the close of the polls is declared that week’s winner and chooses the next Art Clash.

Scott LeMien
    Participant

My Achievements

Were there additional restrictions planned? Because I haven’t started and am okay with it, can’t speak for others obviously.

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

I’ve put A LOT OF WORK INTO THIS ONE!!!

Knight
    Participant

My Achievements

in your FACE!!!!!!!
    http://www.brettbarkley.com/WEEK 26 – KNIGHT.jpg

Knight
    Participant

My Achievements

In your FACE!!!!!!!!!!!

Knight
    Participant

My Achievements

Rouge one is not my favorite movie BUT the last scene was awesome!!!!!!!!

Scott LeMien
    Participant

My Achievements

Mine is hasty, sorry. And sorry I may have just ruined a classic fantasy novel for you.

https://skwott.tumblr.com/post/175680733923/if-you-never-read-a-wizard-of-earthsea-i-have

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

I did the cover of the 3rd book of Gutter Magic (Which was illustrated by Brett) The part that took a lot of time out of me was all the buildings… and the windows, besides all that, I really had some fun!!!

null

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

Scott LeMien
    Participant

My Achievements

Sheesh, you guys blew the doors off this challenge this week. Amazing work!

Knight
    Participant

My Achievements

The power of photo shop

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

The final scene from Sherlock s02e01: A Scandal in Belgravia
    One of my favorite television works every. (Sorry for the spoilers.)
    -B

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

I’m calling this one for Knight! SOOOO proud of you, buddy! Your work on this was just fantastic! You truly deserved the win. Critiques will be posted soon.

But in the meantime, what’s next, Knight??!?!
    -B

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

Knight – CONGRATULATIONS, brother! Ok, when I started out painting, I had to work on the idea of how to use soft contour lines and hard contour lines to really make the focus images pop. I’ve put a blue contour line around where you should focus, generally. You don’t have to do all of these, but you on an image like this, the power is in the silhouette, so make it pop just enough to fit within the image…meaning keep some areas soft and make hard, distinct lines everywhere else. Also, don’t use this color…I was just using that to give you a better guide. Use the blacks you use for Darth Vader. CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Steel – First, I just want to say how proud I am of all the work you did on this. You REALLY put some time and effort in to this. Second, I’m VERY touched you elected to work on something I did. That’s very kind of you, Steel. It’s a very touching thing you did. Thank you. Ok, in terms of some thoughts for the piece, I broke it down in thirds for you. Think of every place the vertical and horizontal lines intersect as a built-in area of focus. You really do pretty well with these. As we work with them more, we’ll work with diagonals between the nine different boxes in the grid, but one thing I’d like to point out is where you have Cinder’s head. It needs to be more in the center of the ninth box, not off the page. But, Steel, this is great work!

Scott,
    I had some really quick thoughts on this piece. I actually think it may work a little better if it were switched. All that space in the background (I don’t know the source material, so I may be missing something) on the right is really un-activated. I think if you switched the image like I have below, you can give the focus more emphasis. I hope this makes sense.

I hope that helps a bit. Great work, guys!
    -B

Scott LeMien
    Participant

My Achievements

Again, amazing entries!

Brett, I had to look up the synopsis myself to see how important this event was. The panel 2(3?) gun barrel is brilliant. I also like the suggestion of the vehicle to place things. I also learned you get a lot of mileage from the thirds rule this week, good thinking!

The panel where the sword turns away from Irene (am I right on that?) is the only panel where I’m not sure what to say. Mainly because there’s a couple of things going that I don’t know if I fully appreciate the balance of. First, it’s a minimalist kind of set on purpose, it makes it dreamy/flashback-y/Frank Miller-y. Second, it suits the general detachment of the logical main character and his way of storytelling.

I think I just have misgivings about a leftmost character facing left on a left side of page panel. I’m not sure what would work, though.

I do think a single bg object, say a suggested bookcase, or even a plane or two in the last Holmes panel would help signify a change of scene. It’s hard to critique because I feel like I could have missed stuff. Maybe there is something in there you can use from this reader’s viewpoint. Awesome work!

Knight

I voted for yours! Your Dad has better comments than I do. There are lessons about lost and found edges, but I don’t think you need to see them until you’re a thousand paintings in first, lol.

Steel

Yours was amazing! I was totally on the fence this week. Yours was dynamic, had awesome bg, colors, figures the works! I would have liked to see some more straights in your background. Photoshop used to be: draw a dot, hold down shift and draw the next dot for a straight line. Manga studio has perspective guides and a straight line tool. But more important, if it’s fun, and my suggestions make it lame, keep going your way, and, like I wrote above for Knight, say maybe you’ll consider going back to my advice… after 1000 art pieces your way.

Why do I say this? Because drive is sooooo important in art.

Scott
    On mine, I agree with Brett. It looks weird that I tried styling the arm thickness but not the legs. Eh.. and actually this looks so much more like I did a almost 10 years ago that I’m remembering how much I disliked this style and wanted to get more hand drawn, which I haven’t been able to follow through on. I may have to take a detour for a while where my art looks worse again as I struggle to get stuff hand drawn and inked and maybe composited together on computer.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar