ART CLASH WEEK 27: UNDERSEA BATTLE MECH!!!

Forums THE ART CLASH 1.1 ART CLASH WEEK 27: UNDERSEA BATTLE MECH!!!

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Steel 20 minutes ago.

• Author

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

FIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED IconWAR FACE Icon

UNDERSEA BATTLE MECH

***A BRIEF NOTE BEFORE WE BEGIN***
    Just a reminder that we’re currently in The Art Clash version 1.1. The primary difference in this iteration is each week’s Art Clash will feature two tiers of competition: sequential and pin-up. Anyone entering can choose to illustrate that week’s challenge in a sequential storytelling form (page templates will be provided here) or as a stand-alone, pin-up-style image. Build and illustrate a story of your own around an Art Clash challenge, or wow your audience with a single powerful image. It’s up to you. We want to foster all levels of creativity here, so this will provide an opportunity for all artists to take their work in whatever direction he or she desires and to whatever degree of finishing.

ART BRIEF:
    SUBJECT: Illustrate a mech designed for undersea combat.

CONCEPT:  Your mech will regularly face-off against giant aquatic kaiju (as pictured above), so your designs have to be suitable for that level of combat. Feel free to draw the mech in battle with a giant kaiju (also of your own design.)

Good luck!

The Rules:
    THE ART CLASH is a weekly art challenge. Each TUESDAY a new Art Clash challenge will be posted. You may work in ANY MEDIA you like, but you must stick to the brief of this week’s Art Clash. And please, no posting old work in the Art Clash. This is about encouraging growth through work, so we expect a new piece every time.

Your final art will need to be uploaded to an image hosting service (here are a few I recommend: Imgur, Google Photos and Flickr) and then may be posted here ANY time until SUNDAY evening at MIDNIGHT (EST). Voting begins immediately afterward and polls close on MONDAY at MIDNIGHT (EST). So don’t miss out!
    The artist with the most votes for the week by the close of the polls is declared that week’s winner and chooses the next Art Clash.

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

In the event anyone is interested, here are the roughs and some tighter pencils I worked up over a couple of hours tonight. I’ll need to reference some mechs, as I’d like to have something a little cooler for the battle mech, but generally, this is on the way.
    -B

Scott LeMien
    Participant

My Achievements

https://skwott.tumblr.com/post/175834458938/sketch-challenge-page-this-week-we-had-to-design

So.. this was interesting. I basically wrote down a bunch of sentences on paper, then figured I’d start drawing. Initially had even more panels, so I had to keep changing it, making it more intimate.

Big thing: I had no idea how to lay this out initially. I just drew the first 4 panels on different sheets of paper and threw down some brush pen. Had no idea how it would fit on paper or if it would.. and it didn’t! This forced me to come up with the piping linkups you see as a device to make it understandable. After I placed those 4, I checked the approximate space left for the remaining space a bit better and drew those.

I did this with brush pen and red pencil, and didn’t bother erasing. I was happy that I hand drew it, mildly annoyed it might not be clear or readable enough, though. Or it might stink compared to digital work.

I guessed the page template you scanned was at 400 dpi after some math.

Brett Barkley
      Keymaster

My Achievements

Scott, I’m just floored! That’s great work! I love it. I definitely see the Mike Hoffman influences. I think it reads great. I’d love to see you do more with this style. Please, do a book!

-B

Scott LeMien
        Participant

My Achievements

Thanks, Brett! That’s super inspiring. Not sure if I mentioned it, but this doesnt work as a page since I fit 300 dpi art onto a 400 dpi page so it suffers an additional reduction that would likely make it illegible in print. Oh well, live and learn! Good thing I’m not printing this page.

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

Sorry I didn’t have mine up sooner, this week was a long one, I was promoted to Gold Belt in Martial Arts, and so on, but here it is!!!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar