ART CLASH WEEK 28: CREATE YOUR OWN SUPERHERO TEAM–SCOTT WINS!!!

Forums THE ART CLASH 1.1 ART CLASH WEEK 28: CREATE YOUR OWN SUPERHERO TEAM–SCOTT WINS!!!

Whose Superhero team is most super???

You must be logged in to participate.
  • #1 Steel
  • #2 Scott
  • #3 Knight
  • #4 Mercy

This topic contains 16 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Brett Barkley 2 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Author

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

FIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED IconWAR FACE Icon

CREATE YOUR OWN SUPERHERO TEAM

***A BRIEF NOTE BEFORE WE BEGIN***
    Just a reminder that we’re currently in The Art Clash version 1.1. The primary difference in this iteration is each week’s Art Clash will feature two tiers of competition: sequential and pin-up. Anyone entering can choose to illustrate that week’s challenge in a sequential storytelling form (page templates will be provided here) or as a stand-alone, pin-up-style image. Build and illustrate a story of your own around an Art Clash challenge, or wow your audience with a single powerful image. It’s up to you. We want to foster all levels of creativity here, so this will provide an opportunity for all artists to take their work in whatever direction he or she desires and to whatever degree of finishing.

ART BRIEF:
    SUBJECT: Design a Superhero Team!

CONCEPT:  Your client is considering some comics of their own. They’ve hired you, in addition to many others, to brainstorm directions for a new, small super team of about 3-5 heroes.

Knockoffs and clones are fine as well, since it will be hard to suggest fully fleshed new personalities on such a small presentation.

You have a lot of license to go crazy with your ideas so they can stand out. Good luck!

Good luck!

The Rules:
    THE ART CLASH is a weekly art challenge. Each TUESDAY a new Art Clash challenge will be posted. You may work in ANY MEDIA you like, but you must stick to the brief of this week’s Art Clash. And please, no posting old work in the Art Clash. This is about encouraging growth through work, so we expect a new piece every time.

Your final art will need to be uploaded to an image hosting service (here are a few I recommend: Imgur, Google Photos and Flickr) and then may be posted here ANY time until SUNDAY evening at MIDNIGHT (EST). Voting begins immediately afterward and polls close on MONDAY at MIDNIGHT (EST). So don’t miss out!
    The artist with the most votes for the week by the close of the polls is declared that week’s winner and chooses the next Art Clash.

Scott LeMien
    Participant

My Achievements

https://skwott.tumblr.com/post/176015937413/super-rough-layout-mainly-for-all-the-talking-so

I couldn’t wait. Started last night. This page thing can be stressful, lol.

STORY:
    This team is roughly based on two T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents, Dynamo and Menthor, with maybe some tough talking, yet agreeable hero thrown in. The Superchargers are:

Overload, who wears a suit that has a dial with settings of 1, 2 or 3, suffusing her with energy X. She is the leader, and gives the orders. She is Dynamo.

Dimmer vaguely correlates to Menthor for this, he finds some way to disagree or rebel against the leader. For this one page, he always disagrees with what’s happening.

Surge is the third hero. He vaguely correlates to the Thing in that hes monstrous looking somehow, yet has electrical powers. He is an amiable tough guy. Maybe add a cigar.

I could see a client that was a solar power group liking this team, with the shade thrown to Overload’s vaguely nuclear basis, requiring an extra safeguard hero as well.

Layout problems: I often dont give this stage the attention it deserves. I think I may go back and try and clarify this. I dont really do more than place figures in this stage with whatever incorrect intuitive perspective I have going in my head. It could use some more love. Hopefully you can read the story if you want. Basically you learn some stuff about one person’s powers and I wanted to show the fallout from one of his decisions. Hmm, fall out. Wonder if that would be a better name, but for whom?

So tired. This was may more work than I thought. Some super quick colors on it as well.

https://skwott.tumblr.com/post/176142844388

Brett Barkley
      Keymaster

My Achievements

Ha! Dude, I totally feel you on the page-creation stress thing. I’m still in the process of trying to come up with something…idea bashing. We’ll see. But I love what you’re doing here, Scott. Maybe this will help in the layout phase: Try to think of each page as a packet of information delivery and then try to determine the purpose of each page within that context for the story. Some pages are panel-heavy, having lots of panels in order to serve the story, while others are lighter on panel count or exposition for another purpose (think a splash panel). If we look at it this way, we’ll be better able to control pacing for the story and the visuals will be more appealing because panel count and size will change from page to page. So for a page that introduces a superhero team, the purpose for that particular packet of information is to…(drum roll, please)…introduce the superhero team. You can therefore limit some of the information or exposition and maybe you can get away with a fewer number of panels.

…or you could just regard this completely. I think what you’ve got is great and this art form leaves a great deal of latitude in how we build the pages.

But great work! This is very inspiring.
      Time to get back to it.

-B

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

I really think this is the best piece I’ve done. Now let’s get into the powers our hero’s have. Fire guy, the one on the right has the ability to soak up sun light and turn it into a supercharged attack! kick! The girl on the far left has the ability to take any kind of attack, but she can only fight in the day because her weakness is moon light! Now the guy in the middle has the ability to take electricity and turn it into a supercharged fire. And now story time, because I have a cool story to share. There was a man named Fred who was born with powers, he could take any kind of energy and turn it into a supercharged fire. And with the ability to take any attack! He grew up and became the worlds best hero. At this same time a villain who goes by the name, Shard also became the worlds best villain. Fred knew he would have to take him down. And he did, with the cost of most of his powers and his left eye! He was in no battle condition. So he retired. Years later, he adopted two kid to train with him to carry on the legacy! When Shard heard of this, he escaped prison, to kill Fred. And when they met, the only thought in Fred’s mind was VENGEANCE, the hair on his head raised to uncover his lost eye and to begin the biggest battle of all time.

Scott LeMien
      Participant

My Achievements

It’s an amazing looking team! What also blew me away, as someone from the outside looking in, is how psyched you sound for the characters and their powersets. Its like you had this whole universe in your head dying to come out! I also really like these kinda suits rubber/leather that are grey plus a color, like on the female with the pink. Kinda like that bioware sci fi game series I can’t remember atm? Anyway, awesome work!

Steel
        Participant

My Achievements

Thank you so much! I did put some metal armor in there to give the idea that she is super tough and some shine to make it look good. My favorite scene of yours is the 5th. I really love the colors and the shadows! It’s a very good piece of art! Ans whats your favorite stage in drawing? Mine is Inks!

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

Wow! Steel, I DEFINITELY think this is the best piece you’ve ever done! Great work!

I’m REALLY proud of what you’ve turned in here! This one will be tough to beat.

-B

Steel
      Participant

My Achievements

Thanks Dad, you have no idea how much work I put into this one! And I have one more thing to say, the guy in the middle is a hero, but one I wouldn’t want to be saved by! Who is your favorite of the hero’s? Also, I talked about the enemy Shard, if you’d like to see what he looks like, go to my profile! 🙂

Knight
    Participant

My Achievements

Knight
    Participant

My Achievements

hero’s that fight big monsters!

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

Mercy’s The Pr(o)Teks!

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

Argh! I lost a ton of work on this page, due to a computer issue and ended up not being able to regain the ground. VERY disappointed in my work this week, particularly since I see all the work you guys did this time around.
    -B

Scott LeMien
    Participant

My Achievements

That lizard hero is so cool! Voted for Mercy.

Everyone did a great job. I spent too long on this, though. I’m gonna go work on some other stuff this week, so in the unlikely event that I win, please let someone else pick. Thanks so much for the awesome challenges!

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

Scott, I’m calling this for you. GREAT job, man! Week after week, you continue to impress me with your sequential work. You’ve got to do something with your talent, Scott. …but for now, you just have to come up with the next challenge. 😉

I’ll post up some critiques shortly.

-B

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

Steel – This is the best piece you’ve done so far, Steel! I love the inking, I love the character designs and I love the story. I’d like to see more based on these characters and the world. I think my only suggestion would be with Fred’s hands. I have difficulty separating them from the characters behind his hands. I also think they may be a little small. I’ve posted a quick work-up of what I was thinking below. It’s not perfect, but handling the the powered hands a little differently may help separate the the characters a bit. Here’s something I was thinking:

But fantastic work, Steel! I look forward each week to seeing what you’ll do next! Keep up the great work!

Scott – Just fantastic work, Scott! I love this page! I think the story flows well. I really like the art and think it generally reads clearly. We all love the colors–that’s a really great palette. And the page ends on a cliffhanger! This is a fantastic way to keep readers engaged. And there’s a really cool story here, man! I’d like to see more of this, man!

Knight – I love this idea! This seems like a concept for a superhero team you would be interested in continuing to develop. I just love the idea. Now, I have just a couple thoughts for you. I think this could help you on all your future art projects…and generally whatever you’re tackling in life. Whenever you’re tasked with something, if it’s drawing a superhero team, or designing a bridge or baking a cake, it’s all just a problem to solve. And when you’re solving a problem, you have to define the most important objective for the project. For this piece, the most important objective would be creating and showcasing your team. I’d like to have seen some more detailing in the figures, something that gives us a better idea of who they are and what they can do. Using a thinner inking brush would have helped. I think this is really the only real issue. But in terms of what you do right here, again I love the idea. Also, you do a really great job of showing the scale of the figures in relation to the giant monster. (I can tell you use models to get this just right–FANTASTIC JOB!!) And I really like your use of thirds in this piece. There’s a FANTASTIC start here, Knight–I think with a little more detailing in the figures and in the kaiju and some finer inking, this could be an amazing piece!

Mercy – I love it! Mercy, I am daily impressed with your boundless creativity! This is a superhero team I hope you continue to develop. Each of these characters is unique and interesting. You did something every comic creator hopes to do–you created characters I want to know more about!!! I want to know who they are and what they can do! I want to read about this team’s adventures! Way to go, Mercy! Please keep at it!

Scott LeMien
    Participant

My Achievements

Okay, it seems like mu comment to forget me was missed. I’ll just take advantage of that oversight and suggest:

Space Ghost, the non-parody version, or your own knock-off where you make your own versions of as many characters as you like.

Brett Barkley
      Keymaster

My Achievements

YES!!! Great idea, Scott!

Apparently you’re really liked around here.

-B

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar