ART CLASH WEEK 29: A MODERN SUPERHERO TAKE ON SPACE GHOST-KNIGHT WINS!!!

Forums THE ART CLASH 1.1 ART CLASH WEEK 29: A MODERN SUPERHERO TAKE ON SPACE GHOST-KNIGHT WINS!!!

Whose Space Ghost is the most?

You must be logged in to participate.
  • #1 Steel
  • #2 Scott
  • #3 Knight
  • #4 Brett

This topic contains 13 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Scott LeMien 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

FIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED IconWAR FACE Icon

ILLUSTRATE A MODERN SUPERHERO TAKE ON SPACE GHOST (AND ANY OF THE SUPPORTING CHARACTERS)

***A BRIEF NOTE BEFORE WE BEGIN***
    Just a reminder that we’re currently in The Art Clash version 1.1. The primary difference in this iteration is each week’s Art Clash will feature two tiers of competition: sequential and pin-up. Anyone entering can choose to illustrate that week’s challenge in a sequential storytelling form (page templates will be provided here) or as a stand-alone, pin-up-style image. Build and illustrate a story of your own around an Art Clash challenge, or wow your audience with a single powerful image. It’s up to you. We want to foster all levels of creativity here, so this will provide an opportunity for all artists to take their work in whatever direction he or she desires and to whatever degree of finishing.

ART BRIEF:
    SUBJECT: Do your own modern take on Space Ghost and any of the characters!

CONCEPT:  Your client has requested an updated take on the Space Ghost property.  The goal is to create a version of the character easily marketed to a new audience, so aim for something widely appealing.

You have a lot of license to go crazy with your ideas so they can stand out. Good luck!

Good luck!

The Rules:
    THE ART CLASH is a weekly art challenge. Each TUESDAY a new Art Clash challenge will be posted. You may work in ANY MEDIA you like, but you must stick to the brief of this week’s Art Clash. And please, no posting old work in the Art Clash. This is about encouraging growth through work, so we expect a new piece every time.

Your final art will need to be uploaded to an image hosting service (here are a few I recommend: Imgur, Google Photos and Flickr) and then may be posted here ANY time until SUNDAY evening at MIDNIGHT (EST). Voting begins immediately afterward and polls close on MONDAY at MIDNIGHT (EST). So don’t miss out!
    The artist with the most votes for the week by the close of the polls is declared that week’s winner and chooses the next Art Clash.

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

I’m so ready for this one!!! One thing I notice about my art is, I put a lot of detail in it, but if you squint, you still see (in this case) Space Ghost. Like the one I’m about to post, there’s a lot of detail. I did something different about this one, I outlined the lighter shadows with black. I’ve noticed that the lighter shadows don’t pop out any, I’m putting work into something that’s not being noticed, so I’ve fixed that. To me, this looks a lot better then last weeks piece, JUST IN THE LIGHTER SHADOWS, last weeks piece was SO much better because it was a GREAT concept, so I had a great piece, but Scott needed that win. The colors made everything look real!!!

needed that win!!!

Scott LeMien
      Participant

My Achievements

Your superhero game is looking pretty strong, Steel. Great job!

Steel
        Participant

My Achievements

Thank you, I really like the hatching on your piece!!! GG

Scott LeMien
    Participant

My Achievements

https://skwott.tumblr.com/post/176372272088/space-ghost-re-concept-banshee-is-actually-a

Spaceghost reconcept as black magicky psychic vampire and not nice lady. Jan and Jace walk past their imprisoned bodies, she has their spirits outside their bodies forced to work for her. Poor yucky alien is actually very nice if you met him/her/it. Sorry fhis is so dark and evil!

Knight
    Participant

My Achievements

sorry I was late,but I will win this one.

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

Concept for the new Space Ghost:

And a penciled page of comic art of the new Space Ghost!
    -B

Steel
      Participant

My Achievements

I really like the fact that if you squint and look at his face, his real mouth vanishes and the mouth on his mask comes to life, it’s creepy!

Brett Barkley
        Keymaster

My Achievements

Thanks, brother! I spent a very long time trying to come up with that idea. 🙂
        -B

Scott LeMien
    Participant

My Achievements

I voted for Brett, but not for his cool spaceghost. His insect guards are fantastic beyond belief! That comic tenplate you’re using is slightly different than the one you shared. Great job, Brett.

One thing I like about the character that i didnt see in anyone’s designs was how Toth thickened the back of his neck to reinforce the bird shape. That’s also a common Toth hero shape as well, so maybe it’s not necessarily worth repeating.

Steel, you did a super job on yours. The drawing skill evident is growing by leaps and bounds.

Knight I think you actually have the coolest readjustment of the costume. Going full hood makes him way more spooky!

Brett Barkley
      Keymaster

My Achievements

Thanks for the vote, Scott!

Sorry about the template confusion. I’m pretty sure the measurements are the same. I’m not sure where this one came from, or how it got in the art piece, though. Interesting.

-B

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

I had to vote for Knight, I sat right next to him when he was doing this. he put a lot of work into this one! And Dad, he was up ALL night until noon doing this one!!! And I’m sure Scott put a lot of work into his, it came out great, I love the hatching!!!!!!!!!!! As for me, I only put about 2 hours into mine, but I think it came out pretty good. And that’s why I wanted to do Anime as my new art style, because it’s my favorite style and because it’s amazing art that’s made in an hour… AMAZING! Great posts from everybody, wish I could vote for all!

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

I’m calling this one for Knight! Way to go, brother! You managed to stay true to Toth’s designs, but put just enough of a cool spin on it that I think it really works. I really like the hood. Great idea! Your design makes sense to me. It just works really well on a number of levels.

I also just have to say it’s only because we have so few voters that Steel and Scott didn’t get votes. You both should have gotten votes–Steel, I love the anime-inspired work you’re doing (I think your work has encouraged me to take another look at how I can bring more action to my figures and posing…it’s going to be an uphill battle, but I want to try) and Scott…wow, another week with a fantastic story and some really solid work. I love what you’re turning in. I don’t know how you feel about this week’s page, but I think if you compare it to the Ghost Rider piece, it’d be clear you’re growing in leaps and bounds. You know, this is VERY publishable work. Drop me a line sometime, if you’re serious about wanting to try some comics work. I may have some thoughts.

I’ll try to post up some critiques soon.

Great work, everyone! Knight, it’s time to come up with something new!!

-B

Scott LeMien
    Participant

My Achievements

Tbh, i like the small amount of votes, feels like a little club. And my brain shuts off concerns about winning and just goes to making the best picture I can. And the big fun of the win is picking next week, which i have gotten a ton of chances on.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar