ART CLASH WEEK 33: ILLUSTRATE LONG JOHN SILVER FROM TREASURE ISLAND!!!

Forums THE ART CLASH 1.1 ART CLASH WEEK 33: ILLUSTRATE LONG JOHN SILVER FROM TREASURE ISLAND!!!

AAAARRR! Whose entry will make the rest walk the plank?

You must be logged in to participate.
  • #1 Scott
  • #2 Daniel
  • #3 Knight
  • #4 Steel
  • #5 Brett

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Steel 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

FIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED IconWAR FACE Icon

ILLUSTRATE AN ICONIC IMAGE OF LONG JOHN SILVER FROM TREASURE ISLAND

***A BRIEF NOTE BEFORE WE BEGIN***
    Just a reminder that we’re currently in The Art Clash version 1.1. The primary difference in this iteration is each week’s Art Clash will feature two tiers of competition: sequential and pin-up. Anyone entering can choose to illustrate that week’s challenge in a sequential storytelling form (page templates will be provided here) or as a stand-alone, pin-up-style image. Build and illustrate a story of your own around an Art Clash challenge, or wow your audience with a single powerful image. It’s up to you. We want to foster all levels of creativity here, so this will provide an opportunity for all artists to take their work in whatever direction he or she desires and to whatever degree of finishing.

ART BRIEF
    SUBJECT: LONG JOHN SILVER

CONCEPT: You’ve been hired to illustrate an iconic image of Long John silver, based on the following descriptions taken from the author’s writings:

“His left leg was cut off close by the hip, and under the left shoulder, he carried a crutch, which he managed with wonderful dexterity, hopping about upon it like a bird. He was very tall and strong, with a face as big as a ham—plain and pale, but intelligent and smiling.” (Treasure Island (1883) by Robert Louis Stevenson page 82).

Additionally, according to Stevenson’s letters, the idea for the character of Long John Silver was inspired by his real-life friend William Henley, a writer and editor. Stevenson’s stepson, Lloyd Osbourne, described Henley as “…a great, glowing, massive-shouldered fellow with a big red beard and a crutch; jovial, astoundingly clever, and with a laugh that rolled like music; he had an unimaginable fire and vitality; he swept one off one’s feet”. (From Wikipedia)

Good luck!

The Rules:
    THE ART CLASH is a weekly art challenge. Each TUESDAY a new Art Clash challenge will be posted. You may work in ANY MEDIA you like, but you must stick to the brief of this week’s Art Clash. And please, no posting old work in the Art Clash. This is about encouraging growth through work, so we expect a new piece every time.

Your final art will need to be uploaded to an image hosting service (here are a few I recommend: Imgur, Google Photos and Flickr) and then may be posted here ANY time until SUNDAY evening at MIDNIGHT (EST). Voting begins immediately afterward and polls close on MONDAY at MIDNIGHT (EST). So don’t miss out!
    The artist with the most votes for the week by the close of the polls is declared that week’s winner and chooses the next Art Clash.

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

I can’t wait to see the posts!!!

Scott LeMien
    Participant

My Achievements

This deserved much more time and consideration, but I’m not drawing so hot atm with my lack of practice!

https://skwott.tumblr.com/post/177290938818

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

Long John Silver is my favorite pirate of all time, and I know which style of anime to use for a guy like this. So in my mind, John Silver looks like a mix of Abraham Lincon and Johnny Cash from Little House On The Prairie and Mr aizawa from My Hero Academia. And I just edited my profile, IT IS AMAZING, go check it out!!!

Daniel Puch
    Participant

My Achievements

FIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED Icon

Here is my version!!!

Long John Silver

Knight
    Participant

My Achievements

I did use the REAL book!

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

Welcome, Daniel! Great entry!

My entry this week is a Long John Silver intro page. Looking at it, there’s a lot I’d change. But, all in all, I did everything here in just under four hours (and recorded it for a future video on the Youtube page I’m starting up), so I’m somewhat ok with the speed. I probably should have worked more on designing the character beforehand, rather than designing him on the page.
    In any case, I hope you guys like!
    -B

Steel
      Participant

My Achievements

OH…MY…GOODNESS!!! CAPTAIN SILVER WILL SAVE THE DAY!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

Wow. Guys, thanks for the votes. I really appreciate it. I think the next challenge will be a new take on Old Man Logan, in which we design our own Old Man/Woman Marvel character.

If this sounds cool with everyone, I’ll set it up.

Thank you all again,
    -B

Daniel Puch
    Participant

My Achievements

FIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED Icon

Thanks for my vote! I got one vote. Appreciated!
    🙂

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

The posts were AWESOME!!!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar