ART CLASH WEEK 34: OLD MAN/WOMAN –????!!! SCOTT WINS!!!

Forums THE ART CLASH 1.1 ART CLASH WEEK 34: OLD MAN/WOMAN –????!!! SCOTT WINS!!!

Whose old man character has still got it?

You must be logged in to participate.
  • #1 Brett
  • #2 Scott
  • #3 Steel
  • #4 Knight
  • #5 Joe

This topic contains 34 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Brett Barkley 1 month, 1 week ago.

• Author

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

FIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED IconWAR FACE Icon

ART CLASH WEEK 34: OLD MAN/WOMAN –????

***A BRIEF NOTE BEFORE WE BEGIN***
    Just a reminder that we’re currently in The Art Clash version 1.1. The primary difference in this iteration is each week’s Art Clash will feature two tiers of competition: sequential and pin-up. Anyone entering can choose to illustrate that week’s challenge in a sequential storytelling form (page templates will be provided here) or as a stand-alone, pin-up-style image. Build and illustrate a story of your own around an Art Clash challenge, or wow your audience with a single powerful image. It’s up to you. We want to foster all levels of creativity here, so this will provide an opportunity for all artists to take their work in whatever direction he or she desires and to whatever degree of finishing.

ART BRIEF
    SUBJECT: CREATE AN OLD MAN/WOMAN FUTURE MARVEL CHARACTER OF YOUR CHOOSING

CONCEPT: You’ve been hired by Marvel Comics to create a new aged version of a character of your choosing. Drawing from the idea of Old Man Logan, create your own version of a character in Marvel’s far distant future!

Good luck!

The Rules:
    THE ART CLASH is a weekly art challenge. Each TUESDAY a new Art Clash challenge will be posted. You may work in ANY MEDIA you like, but you must stick to the brief of this week’s Art Clash. And please, no posting old work in the Art Clash. This is about encouraging growth through work, so we expect a new piece every time.

Your final art will need to be uploaded to an image hosting service (here are a few I recommend: Imgur, Google Photos and Flickr) and then may be posted here ANY time until SUNDAY evening at MIDNIGHT (EST). Voting begins immediately afterward and polls close on MONDAY at MIDNIGHT (EST). So don’t miss out!
    The artist with the most votes for the week by the close of the polls is declared that week’s winner and chooses the next Art Clash.

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

OLD MAN BUCKY!
    I had a page plotted out for this, but ran out of time and won’t be around for a few days. But I thought this was better than nothing.
    I can’t wait to see what you all come up with! And I’ll try to get the next week Art Clash set up from abroad.
    -B

Steel
      Participant

My Achievements

OMG, This is amazing that you did this under 2 hours and in a RUSH!!! NO WAY!!! AND EVER GET IN HIS WAY!!!

Brett Barkley
        Keymaster

My Achievements

Thanks, brother! It’s not my favorite…and there are things I would have like to have done better, but I was glad to get it done in under two hours. I want to cut that time in half, though.

Scott LeMien
      Participant

My Achievements

I like the depth cues here. Foot, dust cloud, foliage. Forward knee, backfoot in silhouette.

Cues I’d like to see more emphasis on: transition of shirt texture to what I think is skin on his torso? Maybe cape flutters further back? Maybe gun casts shadow onto torso and head?

Great pic. Unsure if my suggestions would work, so add a grain of salt.

Brett Barkley
        Keymaster

My Achievements

Thanks for the comments, Scott! I definitely think using some areas of black to delineate the poncho-like thing he’s wearing and his body would have helped.

This is a perfect example of just how important that early sketch/layout phase of a drawing is. The time you take to “find” the piece will often pay off in the final image. This piece could have been a LOT stronger, particularly starting with the pose. I mean, it’s an action-oriented character…there should have been more that plays to those strengths.

Thanks again,
        -B

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

Scott LeMien
    Participant

My Achievements

I’m working on this week’s page now, but wanted to ask:

What do you guys think about a sequential challenge that changes monthly rather than weekly? This would let (me) make a 3+ page story each month and allow for schedule hiccups better. Progress could be posted, too. Plus, a sequential challenge can have a subject that’s story related instead of specific characters. Ex:

1. Draw a story that starts with betrayal.
    2. Draw a high-fantasy/sci-fi story
    3. Draw a story that focuses on cars or features them

Always with the added option: or your own idea or take on things.

What do you think? Enjoy your vacation, Brett!

Edit: here’s mine. Old man Stormshadow.

https://skwott.tumblr.com/post/177602797108

Steel
      Participant

My Achievements

YO…THAT IS AMAZING, THAT LAST SCENE WITH SNAKE EYES IS… AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brett Barkley
      Keymaster

My Achievements

Scott, great minds think alike! 😉

Actually, that is part of what I had intended for the site. It’s part of what the scoring system was to be part of. That’s still in the works, particularly now that there’s more interest in it, which was largely what I’ve been waiting on. But I had intended to set up a sort of development section that would do exactly what you’re suggesting. I’d initially considered different tracks, like comics, illustration and general improvement. The actual Art Clash weekly challenge really is just designed to train the artists in more confidently approaching artistic challenges uniquely, based on what he or she wants for his art. It’s basically just designed to be training or portfolio development for the artist. But your thoughts have given me some inspiration, Scott. I like what you’re suggesting. I’ll be home in a couple days and will be better able to give this my attention when I get back.

One thing I do like is giving the artists the chance to develop their own stuff, using the weekly Art Clash as a springboard for ideas. I’m actually currently working on developing a dinosaur story inspired by an earlier Art Clash. It may work similarly for other artists. But this forum was built with EXACTLY what you’re suggesting in mind. Feel free to pitch some more ideas my way on what you’re thinking or would like to see.

And that goes for everyone. Thie overarching point of this board is to raise up artists AND GET THEM WORKING. Anything that helps make this more of a reality is appreciated.

-B

Scott LeMien
        Participant

My Achievements

Those are great ideas! Like completion badges! If you ever want help developing content for you to revise and improve upon, let us know! No need to make this overwhelming with all your other obligations. Perspective sounds cool, i’ve been thinking about how floor projections into perspective are becoming something I should work through more, and making teaching materials is a great way to learn.

More importantly, yeah, I need to make pages less of a strain and more of a practice in my life, and I figure story trumps a lot of things, so that’s why I suggested a story. Plus, who knows how many pages someone could put out?

I can also see a downside: putting in the work and people not doing the challenges. Maybe the one challenge would be sufficient in such a case, or making, say, the extra challenges temporary based on at least one person participating?

Steel
      Participant

My Achievements

Wow, I really like the 5th panel with all the ninja stars!!! I also thought that the wall in the 5th panel was the separation of another panel, maybe if you put another line to tell the reader that this is the end of this panel. Just a thought, maybe you could just make the line that separates the panels more noticeable, maybe I’m the only one seeing this. You might not need to change anything.

Joe Kemp
    Participant

My Achievements

FIRST HELPING HAND IconFIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED IconWAR FACE Icon

I am jumping back into the clash this week – old man peter parker is going to be fun

i like the idea of keeping the weekly challenge open to either character designs/pin ups or sequentials. But maybe have an additional sequential challenge that is more involved/long term (2-4 weeks). I really am having fun with the sequentials for this week and would love to build this skill more.

but this is coming from someone who hasnt been around for months now – LOL

Scott LeMien
      Participant

My Achievements

Awesome, Joe! And yeah, great idea! Sequentials rock!

Brett Barkley
      Keymaster

My Achievements

Hey Joe (I always think of Jimi Hendrix when I type that)!

Thanks for the thoughts. Feel free to send more my way. I replied to Scott’s thoughts above, which I think are in line with yours, so I won’t bore everyone with more of my ramblings. But what–for you personally–would you like to see as the ultimate goal for the longer projects? Are you wanting to see something that builds a portfolio, or are you wanting to make your own comic, or maybe even something else? Knowing the end goal always helps me define the ways of getting there.

I had initially even considered putting up anatomy and perspective drawing projects that would be longer in nature, but match pretty much what you and Scott are suggesting. I’ll think more on this.

Thanks!

-B

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

Marvel’s Task Master… as an old man!!! I was thinking about a character one nobody would do, I came up with Task Master!!! I also made him taking off his mask so you would be able to see his age. And I gave him a mask that looks like an assyrian mask from the movie 300. I’m goin to start a trend for when I post a piece, I will tell you about how I made this piece above the art and bellow will be about the character!!! So go to the text bellow the image to know the story behind MARVEL’S TASKMASTER!!!

Taskmaster has wanted to get rid of Spider-man for a long time. so he put work into finding Spider-man’s weakness, he was tired of being know as the villain who never won. And one day Spider-man met his match!!! Now he’s know as the one that killed New York’s “hero”!!! Now, old and tired, New York has not 1 hero, but 0, Taskmaster won by putting REAL WORK into his dream, BEING THE KILLER OF SPIDER-MAN!!!

Well everybody, that’s my post for this week, Love all the posts from EVERYBODY!!! And until next time.

Scott LeMien
      Participant

My Achievements

A taskmaster picture! I love that character, tbh, with his villain training school. I always wondered what would happen if he got his hands on the original gear of those whose moves he copies, say Cap’s shield or Hawkeye’s bow and arrows.

I like the cel shading effect you made with your coloring, i think you could have gone a bit lighter with the lights or darker with the darks for more value changes.

Spooky browline you have going there as well! Cool!

Knight
    Participant

My Achievements

those are his morning clothes.

Brett Barkley
      Keymaster

My Achievements

Knight, bro, tell us a little bit about your character!!!
      🙂

Scott LeMien
      Participant

My Achievements

Now that you mention it, I think I can see the Dafoe in the long sneer! Very cool planning with the goblin eyes behind. I dunno if it was intentional, but the color choice threw me a bit. An old guy like me grew up with a cartoon grinch dressed as santa. Did you intend to use that idea, too with the red and white coat? Is there some story there I’m missing? Great picture!

Knight
    Participant

My Achievements

Old Osborn, he came back!!! Even stronger than before!

And I did use the lasso selection tool for the coloring.

Brett Barkley
      Keymaster

My Achievements

Awesome, Knight! Love it!

But you also should mention using Willem Dafoe as reference, bro. You put time and work in to making him look like an older Willem Dafoe–tell people! 🙂

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

I’ll leave this open a bit longer to see if Joe posts.

Thanks, everyone!

-B

Joe Kemp
    Participant

My Achievements

FIRST HELPING HAND IconFIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED IconWAR FACE Icon

hey guys sorry i am late to entering this – i really wanted to refine it more (and i think i still will)
    I learned SO much doing this and i am so excited to do another.

Steel
      Participant

My Achievements

OMG!!!!!! WOW!!!!!! THIS IS A BIG CHANGE, THIS MIGHT JUST BE YOUR ROUGHS, BUT WOW. I found that your style is simple and very clean!!! This is… AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      I really love the 5th panel!!!

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

Also. Everybody, if you like scary videos, funny videos, really cool videos, every day vlogs (That means you can see what I look like in real life), scary gaming videos, funny gaming videos and more, then why not check out my Youtube cannel, SuperSteel-Gaming for all that and more!

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

Guys,
    I’ve just set up the poll. Sorry for the delay. I’m going to crash for the night, but we’ll be back with our regularly-scheduled program tomorrow.

Thanks everyone!
    -B

Scott LeMien
    Participant

My Achievements

Voted for Joe because he quested for the monster that is the comics page!

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

Scott, it looks like you’re the winner, man! Congratulations! I know I’m running way behind this week, but if you want to work up the next idea, I’ll post it up. And don’t sweat it being late in the week. I’ve gotten a ton of last minute projects in my time doing this work. It will be a fun and formative challenge. And I’ll also get to work on critiques, ASAP. I have a lot I want to talk about on the entries.

Congratulations, Scott!

-B

Scott LeMien
    Participant

My Achievements

Does this look like a fun challenge that might have some added interest?

Head Lopper fan pic?

And, for people doing sequentials, maybe swords and sorcery page(s), not necessarily specific to head lopper? Is this a month long one?

Such a weird week. Opportunities brewing that I hope turn into more stuff, yay!

Brett Barkley
      Keymaster

My Achievements

Scott, this is fantastic! I’ll set it up for after I get back from the kids’ martial arts practice.

This is great! Once again, you’re right in line with what I had wanted to do with the Art Clash. I had envisioned a part of the forum where we could share information about art contests or jobs that were coming up.

Thanks as always, man!
      -B

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

Ok. I’m posting critiques, but they’ll have to go up over the course of the day, so if I don’t get to you initially, keep checking back.

Scott – This is just a fantastic page, Scott. I love the layouts and your clever take on the challenge. I think you generally do a VERY solid job of using the white highlights to guide the eye. I’d probably suggest making Storm Shadow’s mask in panel white as well. The reason being we don’t see him remove the mask, so emphasizing it may help build that logical bridge, so we’re not taken out of the story, even for a moment (I did kind of break for a second, just to figure out who the old man was…then saw the mask. I probably should have made this connection with the “crick” in panel 2, but that’s just how it read for me. Panel five is amazing! I love every aspect of it. I think the expressiveness and flow is just spot-on. I think my only real critique would be Snake Eyes in the last panel. I love the wheelchair gag-just love it, but this is your big gotcha panel AND it’s an action panel, so you have a couple things coming together here. I think you lose too much with the action lines. I think you need more Snake Eyes. Additionally, I think he feels a little short. I think you could have pushed this panel a bit more and really brought it all home. I just want to say, though, this is easily the most accomplished page I’ve seen you turn in. I’m SO impressed with how much you’ve grown over the last half year!

Steel – I’m really loving the direction you’ve taken your art. And I think you’re beginning to get more comfortable, or natural, drawing in this style. Keep at it! That said, for a piece showcasing a older, dystopian version of this character, I would have LOVED to have seen more of him! Show us some more of what you can do with his designs, by giving us more of the character. Also, I think it’s going to be tougher to pull this “Old Man” version off, because we don’t know what the guy under his mask looks like anyway… at least I don’t. So, bearing that in mind, I think you needed to show more of his suit and form, to really get at how he’s changed over the years. So get in there and have fun with the designs! Also, your hands have REALLY improved, but this one needs to be bigger. Male figure hands should be thicker and stronger, the fingers less slender. Overall, Steel, this is great, but there needs to be more!

Knight – I had the benefit of knowing you had used the Willem Dafoe version of the Green Goblin for this piece, so I had an advantage the others didn’t. With that said, I can see you used reference, particularly on Norman Osborn’s face. And the green in the background also helps, but I think we needed more information to get a better idea of who you’re updating and re-designing. Just think if you put him in an updated costume, or maybe even (in case you wanted him to be trying, in his advanced years, to fight against the Green Goblin side of his personality–which I like) you could have kept what you’ve got here, but have gone with something like this:

Knight, this is a great outing and I can tell you put a lot of thought in to it…but remember, comics and our art should be fun. Don’t over-think something, when there’s a fun, exciting way to draw it! ENJOY what you’re doing, THEN I think you’ll find your ideas are more fun and energetic for you and the viewer! GREAT WORK!

Joe – Joe, I think it’s great you’re giving the sequential pages a shot! This is great! I’d like to give you a couple of things to keep in mind. Doing sequential work is very much like doing the pin-ups, but you’re doing for multiple panels per page. What I mean is, you’ll have to keep in mind things like solid drawing, using reference (where necessary), perspective, lighting, anatomy…and not to mention story telling! It can be a challenge, but we’re here to help! 🙂 First, what are you drawing your page in? If it’s Photoshop, I have some perspective grids I can send you that would help with getting the perspective right, like in the first panel. I think that would help a lot of your buildings immensely. Additionally, I’d like to see you use some reference for the car. It doesn’t have to be exact, but tighten that up. There are some things I’d suggest about lighting as well, but I’m thinking my first suggestion would be what I suggested with the Long Halloween piece from a while back–you have to block in your rough shapes first…from the figures to the cars and even indications of buildings. I can’t tell you how important this is. You MUST do this and, in turn, work to NOT go in to detail before it’s done…no matter how much you want to. I’m slowly preparing a Youtube channel where I go over this type of thing, but in the meantime, please try to check this tutorial out. It’s not a direct guide for sequential stuff and I didn’t have a lot of background to deal with, but I think it will help you out a lot. Once you block in the forms, you’ll have a better idea of where your positive and negative space will interplay. This will keep you from overloading areas you don’t need filled with detail and leaving blank areas that should have detail (and it will help you determine how to best layout the page). We’re not drawing from life, we’re drawing sequential art, which is kind of an idealized graphic representation of people, scenes or settings. This took me way too long to figure out. But the short of it is, you have a lot of area for creative license, but you just have to make it cohesive, to make it work together. Additionally, something to consider for EACH panel is what is the main and then the secondary objective of that panel. You’re giving some information with each panel, but you’re also doing something else (like leading in to the next panel, building suspense and so forth). The rest is really just down to practice…feeling comfortable drawing something consistently and quickly. I hope this helps and isn’t overwhelming. I know it’s a lot. But GREAT work and keep it up!

Scott LeMien
    Participant

My Achievements

Thanks for the crits, Brett!

I think Joe’s first panel on the far right was an initial layout/rough meant for more polish later.

Joe Kemp
    Participant

My Achievements

thank you so much for the thoughtful comments – I cant tell you how much I appreciate the time you guys take for this forum.
    I really do need to wait to do the details. That is the part I (and everybody) really enjoy but in order to get a better end result I need to discipline myself for that kind of thing.
    Scott is exactly right I had scribbled in the background and car with no reference – this is actually a blown up version of my thumbnail. I was planning on trying to take some photos of alleys and such around Denver to fit my needs better.
    I am going to try to participate in as many of these as possible with sequential art – Scott hit the nail on the head with me needing to quest the monster.
    I will go through that tutorial today (once again thank you so much for your mentorship).
    I am also planning on doing inktober this year since I had so much fun with it last year – anyone else thinking of doing that? the list looks pretty fun

Brett Barkley
      Keymaster

My Achievements

Keep at it, Joe! I think you’ll be amazed with how much you improve through regular drawing.

I have never done anything Inktober-related. I wonder if digital inks counts, or if that just defeats the purpose. Maybe I’ll have time this year. Thanks for sharing!

-B

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar