ART CLASH WEEK 35: HEAD LOPPER FAN ART CONTEST!!!

Forums THE ART CLASH 1.1 ART CLASH WEEK 35: HEAD LOPPER FAN ART CONTEST!!!

How many heads could a Head Lopper lop if a Head Lopper could lop heads?

You must be logged in to participate.
  • #1 Scott
  • #2 Steel
  • #3 Knight
  • #4 Brett

This topic contains 16 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Scott LeMien 3 months ago.

• Author

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

FIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED IconWAR FACE Icon

HEAD LOPPER FAN ART CONTEST!

***A BRIEF NOTE BEFORE WE BEGIN***
    Just a reminder that we’re currently in The Art Clash version 1.1. The primary difference in this iteration is each week’s Art Clash will feature two tiers of competition: sequential and pin-up. Anyone entering can choose to illustrate that week’s challenge in a sequential storytelling form (page templates will be provided here) or as a stand-alone, pin-up-style image. Build and illustrate a story of your own around an Art Clash challenge, or wow your audience with a single powerful image. It’s up to you. We want to foster all levels of creativity here, so this will provide an opportunity for all artists to take their work in whatever direction he or she desires and to whatever degree of finishing.

ART BRIEF
    SUBJECT:  Head Lopper. 

CONCEPT:  Andrew Maclean is holding a fan art contest for his Head Lopper.  Do your very best fan art for the book, then submit it to Andrew by September 19, 2018.    You can read more here.  

Good luck!

The Rules:
    THE ART CLASH is a weekly art challenge. Each TUESDAY a new Art Clash challenge will be posted. You may work in ANY MEDIA you like, but you must stick to the brief of this week’s Art Clash. And please, no posting old work in the Art Clash. This is about encouraging growth through work, so we expect a new piece every time.

Your final art will need to be uploaded to an image hosting service (here are a few I recommend: Imgur, Google Photos and Flickr) and then may be posted here ANY time until SUNDAY evening at MIDNIGHT (EST). Voting begins immediately afterward and polls close on MONDAY at MIDNIGHT (EST). So don’t miss out!
    The artist with the most votes for the week by the close of the polls is declared that week’s winner and chooses the next Art Clash.

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

I can’t wait for this!!! I searched on Google “Head Lopper Bad Guy” and I got a LOT of art that looked like Mike Mignola’s. Which is something I really like, the simple but detailed art.

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

And Scott, THANK you for this amazing week, I can’t wait to see what everybody does !!!

Scott LeMien
      Participant

My Achievements

No, thank you! Your enthusiasm is appreciated and infectious! My son and I watched one of your videos where you scootered to the lake for the monster.

You should also post art process videos of your work, if you like that sort of thing.

Also, re: head lopper, hes an old guy, Norgal, who gets hired to kill monsters. The witch head he carries with him is still alive and taunts him, at least in my collected edition. Often the people who hire him and those who he hunts are evil, so it makes for some tricky situations. He finds a capable person or two along the way and teams up with em. Btw, im almost halfway through inking mine, but want to spend a lot more time planning my color approach. Good luck!

Steel
        Participant

My Achievements

OMG, NO WAY, YOU ACTUALLY WATCHED MY VIDEOS!!!??? WELL, NOW YOU KNOW WHAT I LOOK LIKE!!! I myself had wanted to do a video about my doing my Art Clash, with the suggestion from Scott, I’ve just posted a video about how I did this Art Clash. If you want to see it, my channel name is SuperSteel-Gaming, I gave a bunch of advice for art, poses, and a LOT more!!!

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

i JUST POSTED A VIDEO THANKING YOU, SCOTT!!!

Scott LeMien
    Participant

My Achievements

Ha, Steel, no need to thank me. I’m just hoping you like doing all that stuff. I think my son is either around Knight’s age or maybe inbetween you two.

Here’s mine. The blue witch is never with-body in my graphic novel, but I figure anything can happen. Also, I’m not holding my breath for anything so much as glad I finished and did my best. My coloring process is so chaotic and draining and it took me so long and I still think there are stray pixels and artifacts. Moving on..

https://skwott.tumblr.com/post/177851672953/fanart-for-headlopperfanartcontest

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

That’s freaking AWESOME!!! Just posted the video on how I did mine. I really like the mystical feel of the Blue Witch.

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

I got it in late but here it is!!! If you want to see how I did it, you can go to my Youtube channel, SuperSteel-Gaming, I did a 3 step process on it.

When I made this, I wanted to put a little bit of symbolism, again, it’s on my Youtube channel, SuperSteel-Gaming. So he’s climbing up a mountain and gets to the top, and still he’s got the Blue Witches head. I just gave a little bit of the symbolism behind the picture, I gave all the meaning of the piece on my Youtube channel.

Scott LeMien
      Participant

My Achievements

Steel, I really liked your pose this week, and choosing that down angle on the head, seeing the top of his torso must have been a challenge for you. The advancing arm and hand look really good as well. It’s awesome seeing your practice yield better and better pieces! You guys grow so much faster than the old geezers!

Knight
    Participant

My Achievements

Scott LeMien
    Participant

My Achievements

Great entries, guys! Remember to post on instagram or twitter, I think you have a family artclash account on instagram and make sure you have the right dimensions for your art.

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

HEAD LOPPER!
    No way I had time to color it tonight. And thanks for the heads-up, Scott. I’ll try to get everyone uploaded today sometime.

Also, I’ve finally finished critiques for last week’s challenge, so check those out if you haven’t already.

-B

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

Hmmm…wasn’t expecting a win on this one. Thanks for the votes, guys! I’m sure I deserved them this time, but I’ll call this one and get another uploaded this afternoon.

-B

Scott LeMien
    Participant

My Achievements

Brett, great picture! I voted for it. My only issue is the choice of texture around the witches’s hair vs.the lower foliage. And the only reason I’m even thinking about that is this self study course on composition that is tormenting me. Now I see repeating or parts o shapes everywhere, like the farther rocks look like the knee to leg unit and/or the head plus beard unit.

Re: mine, wish i did more this week. I realized, after a couple of years of using raster inks in clip studio, that vector inks are pretty easy. Ugh, I’m such a goof.

Brett Barkley
      Keymaster

My Achievements

TOTALLY agree, Scott. The textures are off and the rocks/knees are too similar. Good eye. There’s also the similarity between the angle of his left leg and the sword. Ugh. There are a lot of minor issues in this piece. I’ll probably try to rework it. During the course of the filming my process on this piece (for the Youtube channel I’m trying to set up), I think I was interrupted maybe a dozen times. I HATE not being able to devote my focus to a piece, or having my focus divided so terribly.

Anyone have any suggestions for a new Art Clash? We’ve got a house full of sick people right now and I’ll take any suggestions I can get. 🙂

-B

Scott LeMien
        Participant

My Achievements

I don’t think you should change some stuff, with a quick reason why. The repeated shapes tie stuff together. Some stuff has to be of minor importance or not that important to the comp. When the eye sees repeated shapes, I hear that the mind just consciously glances quickly past it to come back to pointe of focus. Your two legs go back in scale to those two rocks and then the eyes get to travel around. More paths = better. Repeating shapes is great for areas you don’t want to bring focus to. I’m just guessing, but I think your intuitive composition sense is leading you just fine for the most part. My $.02, and I could be completely wrong. Im only on my first week of composition class, lol.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar