ART CLASH WEEK 36: CREATE A SUPERHERO/VILLAIN FROM MAYAN MYTHOLOGY!!!

Forums THE ART CLASH 1.1 ART CLASH WEEK 36: CREATE A SUPERHERO/VILLAIN FROM MAYAN MYTHOLOGY!!!

Whose Mayan (or Aztec) character stands above the rest?

You must be logged in to participate.
  • #1 Scott
  • #2 Knight
  • #3 Steel
  • #4 Brett

This topic contains 21 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Steel 4 weeks ago.

• Author

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

FIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED IconWAR FACE Icon

CREATE A SUPERHERO OR VILLAIN INSPIRED BY MAYAN MYTHOLOGY!!!

***A BRIEF NOTE BEFORE WE BEGIN***
    Just a reminder that we’re currently in The Art Clash version 1.1. The primary difference in this iteration is each week’s Art Clash will feature two tiers of competition: sequential and pin-up. Anyone entering can choose to illustrate that week’s challenge in a sequential storytelling form (page templates will be provided here) or as a stand-alone, pin-up-style image. Build and illustrate a story of your own around an Art Clash challenge, or wow your audience with a single powerful image. It’s up to you. We want to foster all levels of creativity here, so this will provide an opportunity for all artists to take their work in whatever direction he or she desires and to whatever degree of finishing.

ART BRIEF
    SUBJECT:
    A new superhero or villain inspired by a character from Mayan mythology.

CONCEPT: You’ve been tasked with creating a new superhero or villain inspired by a character from Mayan mythology. But your character must fit with the modern superhero aesthetic (meaning, the character should generally feel like he or she could fit in with other DC or Marvel characters in terms of design and general feel). You can find out more about Mayan mythology here.

Good luck!

The Rules:
    THE ART CLASH is a weekly art challenge. Each TUESDAY a new Art Clash challenge will be posted. You may work in ANY MEDIA you like, but you must stick to the brief of this week’s Art Clash. And please, no posting old work in the Art Clash. This is about encouraging growth through work, so we expect a new piece every time.

Your final art will need to be uploaded to an image hosting service (here are a few I recommend: Imgur, Google Photos and Flickr) and then may be posted here ANY time until SUNDAY evening at MIDNIGHT (EST). Voting begins immediately afterward and polls close on MONDAY at MIDNIGHT (EST). So don’t miss out!
    The artist with the most votes for the week by the close of the polls is declared that week’s winner and chooses the next Art Clash.

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

WOW, OK, I’m going to pick the weirdest one and turn it into an AMAZING one.

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

Okay, I think I know what I’m doing. Pauathun, the 3rd guy with the gold arms and crown.

Scott LeMien
    Participant

My Achievements

I went with Aztec instead, because my reading comprehension stinks and also because I ticked Tezcatilopica off in a D&D game when I was a kid.

https://skwott.tumblr.com/post/178012246423

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

それは素晴らしいです、スコット Sorry, the Japanese came out. But I really like it, Scott. I have a question, do you draw on paper, or a PC, I know that when you first started out, you were using paper, I saw that your piece was very clean this week.

Scott LeMien
      Participant

My Achievements

Paper, then pc in this case. Here’s my rough. I don’t like sketching on computer, I feel like it’s harder for me to see errors. I hope to have proportions worked out before computer. On this one, I had this book of poses and really liked this guy looking down and standing. I may have moved the legs too much to be believable, but I have a hard time knowing if i crossed a line or not in believability. I had to change some hands, too, and guess how that hand holds his axe. Also looked at some jaguar faces and didn’t like the snarl pics I found, so I went more extreme (maybe goofy) trying to draw a jaguar yawn.

Funny thing about computer inking. Because of the problems of not knowing what print size your line is, you can make lines that look sloppy when you thought they’d just ‘fade in’. An example of that happened with some trees I tried drawing behind the character, I wound up just deleting it because I wanted to keep my sketch time challenge time low at about an hour total. A better example is to look at my pinup cor your dad’s graphic novel. I feel like everything was okay in terms of line quality until those legs on that guy. Wayyy too sloppy. There’s anatomy issues, too, but that’s not really the focus here.

Hope this helps! Thanks so much for asking!

https://skwott.tumblr.com/post/178076031983/rough-of-earlier-posted-picture

Steel
        Participant

My Achievements

Thank you Scott, I really wanted to know.

Knight
    Participant

My Achievements

Knight
    Participant

My Achievements

So I baste him off of vucub caquix! that bird guy, because I thought he was cool!!
    Oh,and the guys beside him are creepy hooded zombie things, just a fact.
    One more thing the two crystals next to him are life and death, orange is life and purple is death!

Scott LeMien
      Participant

My Achievements

Knight, this was my second favorite piece this week, almost getting my one vote. loved the glowy orange and purple effects and even the blue. It was a very creative design, in my opinion. Great job!

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

This week, I went with the strangest “god” I could get. I thought if I had the strangest “god” then I could go with a different concept style. I went with a piece that was… brighter then my others. I had a kid in it, cool and fun poses!!! I Just saw it after I posted it, there are a lot of things I could fix, I was doing it from 1:30am to 6:30am, by far, the longest Art Clash I’ve ever done. Now, let’s get to the characters down below the art.

Pauathun, I made him prideful, like All Might, he’s got a thumbs up and all that stuff… I also made it so that the kid was just saved by Pauathun, and that everybody in the city LOVES him, so when the kid was saved, he has a thumbs up with the “god”.

Scott LeMien
      Participant

My Achievements

I voted for this! I kinda like the stylized chest anatomy, which does remind me of manga, particularly because it is overlapping and repeated shapes, and that’s just good design. One issue, though. on the cut off arm on your character, particularly the size of that forearm and what seems like the size of the bicep. I might be wrong, so I wouldn’t mind seeing the whole arm drawn, just to be sure. This came out great, though. Do you kinda like drawing or really like it or is it something you all have to do, lol?

My son, who will be 11 in November, found that time where your sister kept throwing rhe rattle down after you’d pick it up absolutely hilarious. Is he between you guys?

Steel
        Participant

My Achievements

Yes sir, if your son is going to be 11, then he will be under me and above Knight!!! And thanks for the pointers on that piece, I will take it!!!

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

I just saw that it was Batman Day. Okay, I’ll draw Batman and post it on instragram, + I wanted to show you guys, so here it is, Batman Beyond!!! And I’m just posting this up because WHY NOT. But this piece is not going up on the poll. NO VOTING FOR THIS!!!

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

One thing I have to say, is tat the Art Clash I posted is much better then the Batman Beyond… in ways. But the Batman Beyond piece is better in different ways as well. Like, I thought that the Batman piece was MUCH better in anatomy (Like abbs, and chest). But the Pauathun piece was MUCH better in concept, the little boy, the thumbs up and the poses. Now the Batman piece was boring, a very simple pose, and the fact that this was not for the Art Clash was a big difference. Also, something very strange happened in the middle of coloring Batman. My pen would think that is was low on opacity (IT WASN’T) and every time I would draw a line over another, it would build up the opacity!!! WHAT THE HECK!!! Well it’s over now, and I saw that it was fixed after the coloring. After all that, I did learn a lesson that Brett (Dad) has been trying to tell me, USE THE LASSO TOOL!!! Check, done, I’ve gotten over it, I’ve broken out of my habits of using the simple classic pen and pencil. I’ve found myself using All Might as an example for anatomy which is something I can count on until I have it in my mind. If any of you need help on anatomy, then I would say, look at All Might, He’s the toughest guy of all (He’s got a lot of helpful tips). When I was writing this, I almost acted like it was Youtube and said,”Thank you guys so much for watching)!!! LOL. If you want to see my Youtube channel, SuperSteel-Gaming, then feel free to check in, I just posted a video where we saw an alligator!!!

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

GG Guys

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

OK. There was supposed to be a page to accompany this. I think it would have been pretty cool. But I struggled with the page, struggled with trying to get my computer to actually manage to run my Photoshop brushes and I’m on a pretty big deadline so I think I’m just a little tired, but AAAARGH, I’m not doing a page this time.

Basically, this is a gritty, scary character, based off some of the Mayan death gods (yes, there are a bunch). This one is one they supposedly don’t know the name for, but they do know he did something (I think we all know it was kill) with an obsidian blade. So this character will take his name, “A” (which is coincidentally what they called this unknown death deity) from one of the walls in the complex where he’s created. I had envisioned him as a gritty Wolverine or the like villain. He’s a young boy and some nefarious semi-governmental group bound him to an unknown, but powerful force they had discovered. Of course, as these things go, he gets out, very much like Wolverine’s escape from the Weapon X facility. His powers are total control of the blades that protrude from his body, so he can kill from a distance (probably 20 to 30 feet). I also see this character generally levitating. I think its a really horrifying visual to see this young boy levitating with all these black blades swirling around him, killing everything around him.

I REALLY hate I won’t be finishing the page this week.

-B

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

O…M…G, that is amazing!!!

Brett Barkley
      Keymaster

My Achievements

Ha Ha! Thanks, buddy!
      I had to step it up to try and beat yours. 🙂

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

Ok. It doesn’t look like Joe is going to show this week. I’ll set up a poll now. Also, I want to get back on schedule, setting the poll up officially Sunday night/Monday morning. It’s not fair to you guys who work hard to get this out before the deadline each week.
    Thanks!

-B

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

Congratulations, Steel!
    Let me know what you’d like to do next and I’ll get that set up.

Also, I’m still working on developing the questing side of the site. I have some interesting ideas. But I’m always open to other suggestions. So if you have something you’d like to see, just let me know. As soon as I can get caught up with my current looming deadline, I’ll begin in earnest.

Thanks!
    Brett

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

So, I just saw that the Slenderman movie just came out!!!(you should know where this is going)… Illustrate Your Own Scariest Scene From Slenderman!!!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar