ART CLASH WEEK 5! REDESIGN PHANTOM STRANGER FOR DC COMICS!! RACHAEL AND STEEL WIN!!

Forums THE ART CLASH 1.0 ART CLASH WEEK 5! REDESIGN PHANTOM STRANGER FOR DC COMICS!! RACHAEL AND STEEL WIN!!

Whose Phantom Stranger is a the next big hit?

You must be logged in to participate.
  • #1 Rachael
  • #2 Joe
  • #3 Brett
  • #4 Knight
  • #5 Steel

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Steel 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

FIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED IconWAR FACE Icon

I’m calling this one a tie between Rachael and Steel!  Congratulations you two!  Work out the next Art Clash between yourselves.

I’ll be working up critiques ASAP.

-B

Joe Kemp
    Participant

My Achievements

FIRST HELPING HAND IconFIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED IconWAR FACE Icon

While I was working on my submission I was really confident and pleased with myself – then I saw all of the clever design concepts and realized while I was still pretty happy with my drawing (lines, anatomy, etc) I didn’t do anything special with the actual design/concept which was the WHOLE POINT OF THE CLASH. #fail
    I really enjoyed this challenge and I think this would be fun to do more of in future challenges – both because it introduced me to a character I was unfamiliar with and because it forces you to think outside of the typical “draw this character”.

Rachael – *got my vote* SUPER original idea! You really nailed the requirements for this challenge – you absolutely modernized the character and made him more attractive. The design of his cloak is modern and stylish and I really love the way you hid even more of his face by using the collar, hat, and mask. Incorporating elements of his backstory (30 pieces of silver) and giving a visual representation of his time travel abilities (his watch gauntlet) is super clever and would make for some interesting story telling device.

Joe – self critique – I am generally pleased with the out come of this drawing from a craftsmanship viewpoint. I finally feel like the idea in my head is starting to come close to what I am able to spit out. I am relying on some “crutches” to accomplish this (if you have watched the process videos you will know what I mean). But I feel like they are more training wheels that are allowing me to create attractive pieces while i learn. In hindsight I am disappointed that I didn’t spend more time thinking of original ideas for re-imagining the character – in the end my “new design” is just replacing his cape with a trench coat.

Brett – Really cool take on the character and a version that takes advantage of his origins as a character with dogmatic origins. His crook staff, robes and belt really sell his ancient side which is nicely offset by the more modern hair cut style. Both you and Rachael were clever enough to flip the part of his face that is hidden and I think this is super clever. The part I struggled with most was trying to make the fedora look cool and you were smart enough to lose it all together .

Knight – Once again you really took this clash concept in an original direction. The idea of having his face remain in shadow but having the glowing red eyes and buttons makes it a unique take on the character while maintaining the mysterious persona. The idea of making him a robot makes the “immortal” nature of the character even cooler (do you picture him as a fully built robot or more of a cyborg?)- I see this version of the character as a self created time machine which explains how he have been present at so many eras.

Steel – I really love the idea of the futuristic blaster mixed with the cowboy theme, it kinda reminds me of the movie/comic Cowboys and Aliens. What a clever way of keeping the hat, which is the most defining characteristic of the current design, without it just being a fedora – I wish I had thought of that. The design of the gun is super cool and I would love to see a more detailed version of it. The part that I liked the most is the mask (ninja turtle-esque or grey ghost from BTAS) covering the eyes with what look like special goggles. In my head the goggles are paired with the gun and help to aim.

Fantastic work everyone – you all keep making it extremely tough to pick a favorite!!!!

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH,all of the art this week was AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

Some information on Phantom Stranger

ART BRIEF:
    SUBJECT: Phantom Stranger

CONCEPT: You’ve been tasked with redesigning Phantom Stranger for DC Comics! You can take the character in any direction you like. You can change gender, race, backstory, anything you want in order to make Phantom Stranger as cool and engaging as possible. Make this a character a top-seller!
    Good luck!

The Rules:
    THE ART CLASH is a weekly art challenge. Each TUESDAY This MONDAY, JANUARY 1,2018 a new Art Clash challenge will be posted. You may work in ANY MEDIA you like, but you must stick to the brief of this week’s Art Clash. And please, no posting old work in the Art Clash. This is about encouraging growth through work, so we expect a new piece every time.

Your final art will need to be uploaded to an image hosting service (here are a few I recommend: Imgur, Google Photos and Flickr) and then may be posted here ANY time until SUNDAY evening at MIDNIGHT (EST). Voting begins immediately afterward and polls close on MONDAY at MIDNIGHT (EST). So don’t miss out!
    The artist with the most votes for the week by the close of the polls is declared that week’s winner and chooses the next Art Clash.

Rachael C
    Participant

My Achievements

FIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED Icon

Phantom Stranger w/ a re-designed coat, belt made out of the 30 pieces of silver, and right glove w/ integrated magic pocket watch that helps him traverse through time/space.

Joe Kemp
    Participant

My Achievements

FIRST HELPING HAND IconFIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED IconWAR FACE Icon

had a TON of fun with this one – here is the timelapse video of my process if anyone is interested.

phantom stranger

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

And mine. Took me longer than I anticipated, but projects and trying to get moved in enough to work has been a real challenge. I’m not entirely happy with this one. I wanted to go with some a little more timeless and ancient…almost as if he’s been around for thousands of years or more. I initially went in a ton of different directions. I should post those up somewhere. But this is what I came up with.

I’d like to do more of this type of challenge. Maybe it can be a more regular thing if everyone enjoys it..

-B

Knight
    Participant

My Achievements

I liked the idea of Phantom Stranger as a robot.
    Knight

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

My Phantom Stranger is a cowboy with a super gun.

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

This is one of the best pieces I’v seen you do!I think you should stick with this choice of art.
    .Rachael C.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar