ART CLASH WEEK 7: Black Panther & Storm!! VOTE NOW!!

Forums THE ART CLASH 1.0 ART CLASH WEEK 7: Black Panther & Storm!! VOTE NOW!!

Vote for your favorite Black Panther and Storm!

You must be logged in to participate.
  • #1 Joe
  • #2 Rachael
  • #3 Brett
  • #4 Steel

Tagged: 

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Steel 3 months ago.

• Author

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

FIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED IconWAR FACE Icon

Ok. I’m going to call this week’s Art Clash. Thank you to everyone who voted and thanks very much to those who voted for me. I really appreciate it. I’ll get the new week’s Art Clash posted ASAP.

A couple quick comments on the entries for this week:

Joe – I think this is a pretty cool composition. I like Storm’s hand–very dynamic and you nailed the costuming. Using Storm’s cape to tie everything together was great. I think you could get more power out of the image by having Storm coming out at us and maybe shifting their focus more toward the viewer. A couple things I’d recommend for your characters would be to go back and study some of your favorite artist in order to compare anatomical proportions. By this, I mean to check your favorite artists’ work against itself, such as the size of the hands to his heads, or the length of the legs to torso. I find this TREMENDOUSLY helpful. This is an area I continue to try to strengthen in my own art. Additionally, in terms of hair, I want you to try to think of it more as clumps or sections than individual strands. One way to do this is in the gestural/layout phase–loosely rough out wedges of varying length and size. That may be a decent starting point. But if in doubt, go back to your favorite artists and really break down how they do it.

Rachael – I love the idea for this piece and I think even more, I really liked your art on it. I really like this style. I particularly like Storm’s face. Very good work. What art program are you using? Depending on the program, I think you could have done the card layout to look less freehand with fonts for the K and Q. That’s really my only input on this piece. You pick great colors and you use them well. Some time you may consider just doing a piece in black and white, in order to focus on the basic drawing. I’d really like to see that. I find in my own work, I tend to use color to cover up areas of opportunity that would be more apparent in black and white.

Steel – Steel, I love this idea. I like what you’re saying with them together like that, showing their rings (I realize you know which finger the rings go on now 🙂 ). Remember what we talk about regularly: a strong drawing makes a strong finished piece of art. I’d really like to see you focus on your penciling, getting that absolutely solid before you go to any other stage. I’d also like you to look more at artists whose work you really enjoy and try to bring more of that in to the piece. I realize it may seem tedious, but you will have a much stronger finished piece of art if you try these things. Here is the order I want you to operate in, doing each stage to completion before moving to the next: Roughs (don’t worry about body parts or the costumes, just try to make general shapes or blocks on the page for where things will go); Pencils (knock down the roughs with a kneaded eraser and begin penciling and refining. Take it all the way to finished pencils); Inks (I think you’ll find your inking is TREMENDOUSLY easier and cleaner if you’ve done the pencils fully); Colors (feel free to go crazy with your markers!). I think this could help you a lot, buddy. Great work!

-B

Joe Kemp
    Participant

My Achievements

FIRST HELPING HAND IconFIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED IconWAR FACE Icon

black panther and storm

ART BRIEF:
    SUBJECT: Black Panther and Storm
    CONCEPT: Since this we is Valentines day and the Black Panther movie release lets draw Black Panther and his (one time) wife Storm in any pose and style, the only requirement is both characters are included.

Good luck!

The Rules:

THE ART CLASH is a weekly art challenge. Each TUESDAY This MONDAY, JANUARY 1,2018 a new Art Clash challenge will be posted. You may work in ANY MEDIA you like, but you must stick to the brief of this week’s Art Clash. And please, no posting old work in the Art Clash. This is about encouraging growth through work, so we expect a new piece every time.
    Your final art will need to be uploaded to an image hosting service (here are a few I recommend: Imgur, Google Photos and Flickr) and then may be posted here ANY time until SUNDAY evening at MIDNIGHT (EST). Voting begins immediately afterward and polls close on MONDAY at MIDNIGHT (EST). So don’t miss out!
    The artist with the most votes for the week by the close of the polls is declared that week’s winner and chooses the next Art Clash.

Joe Kemp
    Participant

My Achievements

FIRST HELPING HAND IconFIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED IconWAR FACE Icon

I am going on vacation so I wont be able to post my drawing this weekend so I went ahead and finished mine this morning. Good Luck to everyone!!!
    black panther and storm

Rachael C
    Participant

My Achievements

FIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED Icon

I liked the idea of a card set (like King and Queen) for Black Panther and Storm

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

Black Panther and Storm!
    -B

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

I really had some fun with this one,I did not put them in the right place,but you can see their rings…great pick Joe,again,I really had some fun on this one!!!And I did make his right leg to big.

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

yours is great Joe,hope you have a great time on your vacation this week,I’m going to win this week!!!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar