ART CLASH WEEK 8: DESIGN YOUR OWN STUDIO GHIBLI LANDSCAPE SETTING!!! VOTE NOW!!

Forums THE ART CLASH 1.1 ART CLASH WEEK 8: DESIGN YOUR OWN STUDIO GHIBLI LANDSCAPE SETTING!!! VOTE NOW!!

Whose work is the setting of your next favorite Studio Ghibli film?

You must be logged in to participate.
  • #1 Rachael
  • #2 Brett
  • #3 Joe
  • #4 Steel
  • #5 Knight

This topic contains 11 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Steel 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

FIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED IconWAR FACE Icon

Voting is open!

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

WOW! I’m SO proud of you, Knight! Congratulations 9n your first ever win! I hope this is the first if many for you, brother!

-B (dad)

Steel
      Participant

My Achievements

GG…GG,great job Knight,you totally got it.you first win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!congrats ,keep it up!!!

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

CREATE YOUR OWN STUDIO GHIBLI-STYLE LANDSCAPE SETTING

ART BRIEF:
    SUBJECT: Imaginative Studio Ghibli-style landscape setting

CONCEPT:
    Design and illustrate a landscape setting from a world Hayao Miyazaki could only dream of building a world and feature film around. People aren’t necessary in this piece and your art can be anything from pencils up, but be certain to bring your best Studio Ghibli-style creation!

Good luck!

The Rules:
    THE ART CLASH is a weekly art challenge. Each TUESDAY This MONDAY, JANUARY 1,2018 a new Art Clash challenge will be posted. You may work in ANY MEDIA you like, but you must stick to the brief of this week’s Art Clash. And please, no posting old work in the Art Clash. This is about encouraging growth through work, so we expect a new piece every time.

Your final art will need to be uploaded to an image hosting service (here are a few I recommend: Imgur, Google Photos and Flickr) and then may be posted here ANY time until SUNDAY evening at MIDNIGHT (EST). Voting begins immediately afterward and polls close on MONDAY at MIDNIGHT (EST). So don’t miss out!
    The artist with the most votes for the week by the close of the polls is declared that week’s winner and chooses the next Art Clash.

Rachael C
    Participant

My Achievements

FIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED Icon

Based off of Howl’s Moving Castle concept art:

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

My alternate universe Hayao Miyazaki concept. Studio Ghibli Presents “Robinson Crusoe’s Island.”This is based on something from my childhood and updated to try to match the Studio Ghibli style. I wish I had more time to paint and develop this, as I think this concept has some potential.

And after talking with Joe earlier, I wanted to post up my process for the piece. So, here is the process I generally go through for every piece.

Stage 1 This is where I use a large brush to do gesture rough-ins of the shape and placement for the pieces. If I’m doing a piece on paper, I use a carpenter pencil, or flat sketching pencil. This isn’t about getting details in the piece. Start big and then work down. It’s just like sculpting.

Stage 2 This is where I try to interpret all the random gesture shapes and then carve it down to something that starts developing the image.

Stage 3 If I were inking this, I would do that here. But since I was planning on painting, I lay in color under the line art. I’ll then go in afterward and start painting over this layer. But this should give a pretty decent idea idea of how detailed I get at this stage.

I hope this is of interest to some. I’ll try to make these process pieces a regular thing, if there’s interest.

-B

Joe Kemp
    Participant

My Achievements

FIRST HELPING HAND IconFIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED IconWAR FACE Icon

LOVE seeing the process Brett!!!!
    here is mine – i kinda just did a castle (i added some stylistic clouds to make it feel like it was flying but not sure how successful. Boy! that one took me out of my comfort zone by miles – I learned a ton (mostly how much work I have to do to get good at this stuff)
    castle

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

This is the best week yet,thank you for doing this one Dad,I had the most fun with this one…first,I had like seven layers one this,I had a plan when I started on this,and I really wanted to stick with it,and I think it came out great!!!GG..good game.I also had so many colors…I really think this is my best piece yet!I really love what you guys did this week,I was waiting to see what would come out on this one!Again,GREAT ONE DAD,I CAN’T WAIT TO SEE WHO WINS!!!great posts guys.I even drew my self in there,just sitting on my lawn…all to my self…looking at the other lawn in front of me,if I could just get over there,I think some thing magical lies there.

(-S)

Leslie
    Participant

My Achievements

NEW TERRITORY IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED IconWAR FACE Icon

One of my favorite ideas so far, up there with Joe’s re-draw an iconic cover idea. These are GORGEOUS! Rachel, I love it! Did you have fun? It looks like you were having fun with the painting! GREAT ENTRY!

Brett, I want to meet that frog and ride down a stream in his little boat!

Leslie
    Participant

My Achievements

Steel, those colors are the definition of vibrant and excitement! The grass off to the right? Stunning! Geez this is a beautiful piece!

Leslie
    Participant

My Achievements

Joe! Love the line work!!!!!! And the perspective!!! I wish everyone had to do two this week, ha. These are a treat! It’s fun seeing you all talk about these making you stretch your skills. GREAT post!

Knight
    Participant

My Achievements

I think this was a good one!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar