Reply To: ART CLASH WEEK 22: PRODUCE A STAR WARS COMIC STRIP – KNIGHT WINS!!!

Forums THE ART CLASH 1.1 ART CLASH WEEK 22: PRODUCE A STAR WARS COMIC STRIP – KNIGHT WINS!!! Reply To: ART CLASH WEEK 22: PRODUCE A STAR WARS COMIC STRIP – KNIGHT WINS!!!

Brett Barkley
Keymaster

Scott,
Thanks so much for the vote! I don’t think I deserved it this week. I was REALLY disappointed with what I turned in this time. I think my issue this time around is the pieces are too busy; there’s not enough negative space. Solid forms are alright…balanced solid forms that play off of one another, with details that cut in to them are ideal. What I ended up with was itty bitty details everywhere. If you can, try to study the Al Williamson strip above. Though the color (while beautiful) get in the way a bit, you should get an idea of what I mean. Al Williamson knows the subject of each panel and he never loses sight of that; the storytelling is clear. You don’t lose the figures, but they’re not floating in space (ha ha) either. I tend a meander a lot more. THAT is my issue. We tend to associate importance of an image based on contrast, weight and/or details within the image. I lose sight of that too often–I really lost sight of that this time around.

In terms of your input on the letters, you’re totally right-on. I had a font I developed years ago, but I think I’ve lost it. And you DO NOT want to see my actual handwriting. 🙂 But I’ll try to come up with something. I’d like to do more of these strips. I had been wanting to do several quick weekly online strips on this site. I’d even thought about putting a section on the forum that would feature generalized weekly scripts to give artists interested in it a starting point for doing their own web comics. If you’re interested, I’d be more than happy to do something like that. But nonetheless, I’d like to get faster and more efficient with doing weekly strips. And I’ll do something more with the lettering…and maybe even finish the strip next time. 😉

Can you give me a better idea of what you’d like me to give some process details on? Write it out to me like I’m a very, very tired, very distracted zombie. Ha Ha. But if I’m understanding you correctly, you’d like some information on how I develop the lights, darks and midtones. If I’m correct, I’ll definitely be able to post something up that may help you.

Again, thanks so much for the vote. And a big thanks for your energy this week! It’s very inspiring. I love the comics medium. I always have. I just don’t get to do as much with it as I want to…which is maybe why it would be a good thing to do more sequential Art Clashes.

Thanks, man!

-B