Reply To: ART CLASH WEEK 23: THE MOST FEARSOME T-REX!!! BRETT WINS!!!

Forums THE ART CLASH 1.1 ART CLASH WEEK 23: THE MOST FEARSOME T-REX!!! BRETT WINS!!! Reply To: ART CLASH WEEK 23: THE MOST FEARSOME T-REX!!! BRETT WINS!!!

Brett Barkley
Keymaster

Scott,
Thanks SO much for the thoughtful critique! Ha ha. I KNEW I was going to get busted for my lettering on that freaking logo! But I deserve it. I like your suggestion about blocking out the overall shape of the word. I’ll give that a shot…though I’m REALLY tempted to just go with some sort of font. ha ha. I HATE lettering…which is why I didn’t put it in the comic. As Leslie (and every teacher I’ve had up through college) can tell you, I have the world’s worst handwriting.

I’m really glad you asked about that panel. I had many of the same concerns…particularly as I often failed, or at least flailed, in trying to use blocks of black to guide the eye. This whole piece was designed after the old comic strip-style of storytelling, right down to the two-tiered panel. I think it would have been more effective if I’d have used blacks to guide the eye better. As it is, I think it works…ish. I left the negative space in the upper left corner and angled panel 4 (and everything in it) to panel five. I think for my next piece (because I’m going to try to force myself to think sequentially, instead of pin-ups, so I plan on doing strips for each Art Clash), I’m going to use positive and negative space MUCH more powerfully as a guide for the eye. I REALLY blew it on this at certain points (the figures in the lower right part of the last panel is probably the biggest failure), but this one really reinforced for me that contrast is a very powerful tool.

So I think I learned some things this time around. I usually get a script, then spend all this time trying to illustrate what amounts to stills or individual shots, but as I’ve been going back and studying old Al Williamson and Hal Foster comic strips, I see they treated the images graphically to guide the eye panel-to-panel. That’s what I want to go for, so it will be a change for me and my art style. But I think it’s a chief area where I can and need to improve. I once read something where J Scott Campbell roughed out the whole first story for Danger Girl before he had a script. That is EXACTLY what I’m trying to develop going forward. I want to flex and build my storytelling skills. I think it will help me tremendously with speed of output.

Scott, if you think you’d like to use the three tier format, I’ll post up a template for it in the Resources section. I used an old Charles Schultz Charlie Brown comic for the measurements and a Red Ryder comic for the three-tired, large panel format. Let me know. It’s no problem.

Thanks again for the critique!
-B