Reply To: ART CLASH WEEK 23: THE MOST FEARSOME T-REX!!! BRETT WINS!!!

Forums THE ART CLASH 1.1 ART CLASH WEEK 23: THE MOST FEARSOME T-REX!!! BRETT WINS!!! Reply To: ART CLASH WEEK 23: THE MOST FEARSOME T-REX!!! BRETT WINS!!!

Brett Barkley
Keymaster

Great work, Joe! And thanks for sharing. I see you have been putting in a lot of work. I apologize for assuming otherwise. You posted at exactly the same time I was trying to work up a way to encourage more regular daily drawing, particularly for myself.

I hope you don’t mind, but I took a couple minutes to go over the Long Halloween homage piece. It’s been a long time since I read that book, but as I recall, I really liked how Tim Sale staged his shots in that book–they were deceptively simple, but actually had a lot going on in terms of balance. I worked these up before I went back to look at the pages, but I think my thoughts here pretty much stand… generally. I hope you don’t mind.

In this shot, something about the diagonals didn’t feel quite right, but I don’t think that’s the real issue after looking at it. I think Tim Sale does a fantastic job of blocking in negative space, then breaking that up with smaller aspects of the positive space. In the original image you’re referencing, he did use an intricate carpet design to break up the negative space on the floor. Maybe that would help here. I get the feeling that certain aspects in the lower third of the image are floating.

I worked up this general idea. I’m not certain it’s perfect, but for me, I like more of its feel. I try to use the simple lines of the room to frame the figures and I lower the horizon line to make it a bit more imposing (though after looking at Tim Sale’s original work, I don’t think that’s necessary). I think the takeaway here is to look at your areas of negative space and see what you’re contrasting that with. The shadow areas of the wall works better than the lower? Why? Personally, I think it’s because of what you’re breaking up the negative space with (faces as opposed to feet). Just some thoughts.

You put a lot of work in to the X-Men piece. The Wolverine figure is my favorite. If I squint, I tend to lose the middle area of focus a bit, as most of the spotted blacks are around the periphery. Also, Wolverine and Cyclops seem off in terms of height, like they’d be standing on different surfaces. Scott had a great suggestion earlier for me about designing logos. He suggested taking the overall form of the design, getting that right, THEN breaking it up in to smaller units. The thing is, I don’t know why I hadn’t considered that. It’s actually embarrassing. That’s how I draw forms…I don’t know why I wouldn’t have done it with logos too. Ha ha. Just a suggestion I thought could work.

I really like the last piece. I like how you mixed it up and overlapped forms. Probably my only quibble is with the silhouetted figures at the bottom right. I’d place them on the lower black bar. Don’t center them in that space. You don’t center things in the rest of the composition. I also like your art style here. Maybe it’s the balance of solid forms and line. But you should pursue more like this. Again, just a thought.

Wow. Sorry to write so much. But I hope some of it makes sense. Great to have you back, man!

-B