Reply To: ART CLASH WEEK 26: ILLUSTRATE A SCENE FROM ANY BOOK, SHOW OR MOVIE-KNIGHT WINS!!

Forums THE ART CLASH 1.1 ART CLASH WEEK 26: ILLUSTRATE A SCENE FROM ANY BOOK, SHOW OR MOVIE-KNIGHT WINS!! Reply To: ART CLASH WEEK 26: ILLUSTRATE A SCENE FROM ANY BOOK, SHOW OR MOVIE-KNIGHT WINS!!

Scott LeMien
Participant

Again, amazing entries!

Brett, I had to look up the synopsis myself to see how important this event was. The panel 2(3?) gun barrel is brilliant. I also like the suggestion of the vehicle to place things. I also learned you get a lot of mileage from the thirds rule this week, good thinking!

The panel where the sword turns away from Irene (am I right on that?) is the only panel where I’m not sure what to say. Mainly because there’s a couple of things going that I don’t know if I fully appreciate the balance of. First, it’s a minimalist kind of set on purpose, it makes it dreamy/flashback-y/Frank Miller-y. Second, it suits the general detachment of the logical main character and his way of storytelling.

I think I just have misgivings about a leftmost character facing left on a left side of page panel. I’m not sure what would work, though.

I do think a single bg object, say a suggested bookcase, or even a plane or two in the last Holmes panel would help signify a change of scene. It’s hard to critique because I feel like I could have missed stuff. Maybe there is something in there you can use from this reader’s viewpoint. Awesome work!

Knight

I voted for yours! Your Dad has better comments than I do. There are lessons about lost and found edges, but I don’t think you need to see them until you’re a thousand paintings in first, lol.

Steel

Yours was amazing! I was totally on the fence this week. Yours was dynamic, had awesome bg, colors, figures the works! I would have liked to see some more straights in your background. Photoshop used to be: draw a dot, hold down shift and draw the next dot for a straight line. Manga studio has perspective guides and a straight line tool. But more important, if it’s fun, and my suggestions make it lame, keep going your way, and, like I wrote above for Knight, say maybe you’ll consider going back to my advice… after 1000 art pieces your way.

Why do I say this? Because drive is sooooo important in art.

Scott
On mine, I agree with Brett. It looks weird that I tried styling the arm thickness but not the legs. Eh.. and actually this looks so much more like I did a almost 10 years ago that I’m remembering how much I disliked this style and wanted to get more hand drawn, which I haven’t been able to follow through on. I may have to take a detour for a while where my art looks worse again as I struggle to get stuff hand drawn and inked and maybe composited together on computer.