Reply To: ART CLASH WEEK 1: SPIDER-MAN IN A SNOWY NYC!!!

Forums THE ART CLASH 2.0 ART CLASH WEEK 1: SPIDER-MAN IN A SNOWY NYC!!! Reply To: ART CLASH WEEK 1: SPIDER-MAN IN A SNOWY NYC!!!

Brett Barkley
Keymaster

My Achievements

FIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED IconWAR FACE Icon

AAAAAAND finally, some thoughts on the pieces:

Steel – I’m SO proud to see the work you’re doing and how you’re growing. I love the angle and the dynamics of the scene. I also REALLY, REALLY appreciate you utilizing some of the tips I’ve suggested in order to make your art stronger. A couple things to focus on: I think you should just concentrate on the pencil process-working on anatomy and proportions that work for your art style. I’m not saying you have to draw realistic works, but the sizing of the head, the structure of the feet and hands should be developed BEFORE you’re worrying about your inking and then, on top of that, coloring as well. It’s just my opinion, but I think it would really help your final pieces if you build a solid foundation before you aim for finished art. But GREAT job!

Mercy – I love your work! I love your creativity and how you put so much of what interests you in to your work. But I think I love most of all your keen eye for observation and then how you use that in your work. Just look at the reflections of the police car lights on the wet road! That’s amazing to me! And I love the little things you work in to you art: the person in the window, the raccoon in the garbage and the snake (it might be a little cold for him, though). Mercy, please keep drawing! I love your work!

Honor – This is a great take on Steel’s image and I love the scary feel of Dr Octopus. I’d really like to see you creating scenes in your head, though. And it’s ok if you don’t have one in mind–just start with a story and go from there, almost like a movie you’re seeing in your mind’s eye. Keep at it!

Knight – I really like the general pose and I love that you’re working on your anatomical proportions. As I mentioned above, it doesn’t have to be realistic, but the anatomy of your figures should work together…it should just fit. This is a tough thing to verbalize, but it’s an easy thing to recognize when it’s not there. But I think this is a big step in the right direction. As I mentioned above with Steel, I’d like to see you working more in the pencils phase…maybe even only doing pencils, or even just sketches, until you get a little more comfortable getting the figures and setting down. I’d also like to see you pushing your settings and backgrounds a little more. It’s tough to figure out what’s what in the background as it is, but you’ve got a REALLY strong foundation here. Let’s try building on that a bit more. This is great, buddy!

Daniel – I really like the look of this piece. I like the way you handle the background with the tone and the trees and how use that to frame Spider-Man’s figure. And I love the street-level, NY, NY feel of the piece. Of course, Spider-Man would be shoveling snow. I think Dave is right, that your Spider-Man is a little buff, but I don’t think it’s too bad. It actually reminds me of some of the Ross Andru Spider-Man work, or John Romita. I love that work, so I don’t have a problem with the size of the figure. To me, it just makes your work feel a little more nostalgic. Honestly, I’ve been trying to figure out your visual style for a while. If this is the style you’re working in, I think it works, having an almost advertising art feel to it. I think you could really build on this, man. Great work!

Dave – I really like what you’re going for with this piece. There’s an angular quality in your work I really like. I always love your inking and I particularly like how you handle the snow. Something about his head feels a little long (but that could be just stylistic) and I think you and I made the same mistake and hunched his shoulders so much that he kind of lost his neck. Do you ever look at Eric Canete’s work? I love his work and see some similarities with yours. Great stuff, man!

Skip to toolbar