Reply To: ART CLASH WEEK 10: DRAW ANY ANIME CHARACTER IN YOUR STYLE!!!

Forums THE ART CLASH 2.0 ART CLASH WEEK 10: DRAW ANY ANIME CHARACTER IN YOUR STYLE!!! Reply To: ART CLASH WEEK 10: DRAW ANY ANIME CHARACTER IN YOUR STYLE!!!

Brett Barkley
Keymaster

In case anyone’s interested, I tried a new technique on this piece last night. I tried to draw the piece in a way similar to Kim Jung Gi and just draw the individual forms. If anyone doesn’t know him, he’s the guy that just sits down and draws the whole image out without prelims or roughs. I’ve been trying to find a way to draw better and faster and was surprised to find it worked really well. In order to make it easier on myself, I focused on only drawing the lines, treating everything like I was making coloring book art, or something. I also drew in planes, focusing on and drawing the closest thing to our eye, then moving back. I think it works, though I did it on computer, so I could cheat and re-size everything when I took up too much space. In order to fix this, if I had a general idea of the pose I wanted to do, I’d make light hash marks on the top and bottom and sides, just to give myself an idea of boundaries to draw toward. Just a thought.

Guys, try experimenting with something like this and see if it frees you up with your regular way of doing things.

-B