Reply To: ART CLASH WEEK 10: MISTER MIRACLE AND THE IMPOSSIBLE TRAP!!!

Forums THE ART CLASH 2.0 ART CLASH WEEK 10: MISTER MIRACLE AND THE IMPOSSIBLE TRAP!!! Reply To: ART CLASH WEEK 10: MISTER MIRACLE AND THE IMPOSSIBLE TRAP!!!

Brett Barkley
Keymaster

Critiques

Steel – I love the idea and the colors are very bright and vibrant. I think the tech is great. You really brought that Jack Kirby feel to the rocket and the shackles designs. I think a couple things would help you in this image. Compositionally, I’d like to see the entire thing flipped horizontally, as the rocket is moving in the direction our eye naturally moves. Keep the timer in a place where our eye would be drawn to it…Maybe even first. That’s good. But I keep reading it on first glance as if the rocket is moving down to the bottom of the image. Technically, I’d love to see you spend more time penciling the piece! I’ve put this on bold in order to get you to actually try it at some point. Ha Ha. You’re so fast. If you just take a little more time to develop the pencils, the under-drawing, probably the most important part of the piece, I think you’d really move to the next level, Steel.

Newbold – I like this one a lot, Newbold. The composition is fantastic. I love the chains. It has a really cool, bleak feel to it that works well with the subject of the challenge. And those chains–I don’t know how you have the patience to draw them all. In terms of suggestions, I’d try maybe going with a slight lighter gray tone. It wipes out some of your cross-hatching in places and I’d like to be able to see that. Also, as you have it, the depth of his head (from his face to the back of his head) is too long.

Scott – Ok. I don’t think there’s a ton wrong with this piece, man. I get where you’re going with it and I think some of of the colors are a little distracting (but as I squint at it, it seems you’ve got hot spots where you want the eyes to be drawn (Mister Miracle, Desaad, and Darkseid’s face on the monitor–the monitor could have been stretched in to the upper left corner, though. Darkseid’s face doesn’t read clearly at a glance). Some of the platforms are a little tough to figure out or separate from the tubes holding the monitors. The “HeavyWeight” (love what you did there–gives me an idea for an upcoming Spirit challenge) could be given more line weight around it to pull it out from the background. And I don’t know who the character is behind the viewing glass in the wall. One thing that may help you is to consider the weight or movement of the image. It’s kind of what I was suggesting to Steel. The weight is moving down the right side of the image. Darkseid is glaring down at him from the top left. Desaad should be turned and angled so he’s bearing down on Mister Miracle as well. Everything should be pushing him down in to the bottom right corner. This would be accomplished from just switching your vanishing points and horizon line, going with a very strong three-point perspective and I think that would fix a lot.

Brett Wood – Ha ha. I don’t know if I want to know what’s happening here. I love the text you’ve incorporated, but I would have liked to have had more storytelling in the piece, or maybe have the figure a little more showcased in the piece. There’s so much un-activated space…maybe try cropping it to focus on the main character a little more.. Out of curiosity, Brett, what program are you drawing in?

Knight – This is a great piece. I love the angle and the thought your put in to it. Lowering the camera and horizon line gave a great sense of drama. I’d like you to spend more time penciling the figure and developing the image, though. I think you could push this so much more with just a little more focus on the main character. But great work!

And that’s all for this week, folks!

-B