Reply To: ART CLASH WEEK 18: FOUR SEASONS OF SWAMP THING!!!

Forums THE ART CLASH 2.0 ART CLASH WEEK 18: FOUR SEASONS OF SWAMP THING!!! Reply To: ART CLASH WEEK 18: FOUR SEASONS OF SWAMP THING!!!

Joe Kemp
Participant

daniel – I really love the way you made his upper body so massive especially the traps. I think it is also really cool how you made his hands distorted by the water. You handled the challenge of the vines and texture in a way that really works nicely with your style. I did my best to place the branchy/viney parts in places the veins would be and it looks like you did the same. Overall I think you captured the silhouette of the character perfectly. my only criticism is the pose is a little static and flat.

joe – self critique – as mentioned i struggled with this one. I was very intimidated by the complexity of the character’s design and therefore settled on a boring pose. In my head all of the leaves and vines needed to be placed “for a reason” and that stunted my progress. I finally just said screw it and started drawing a little more carefree – in the end I am semi-please with what i came up with but if I was to do it again I would be a bit more fearless and just draw.

brett – CRUSHED it! as usual, Not only were you able to draw an amazing piece full of detail and technical skill but you were able to evoke an emotion and tell a story. The way you took a scary monster character and made him gentle is amazing. I love the 2 birds on his shoulder and of course the nest. The background texture of the trees and the light breaking through the branches is unreal. The more i look at it the more i love it.

knight – very moody drawing – looking at it you can feel the cold. It feels like swamp thing was hibernating under the ice and is breaking free – and NOT happy about it. I like your choice to frame the drawing with the trees – it really pushes the depth by having elements that are more in the foreground

steel – (got my vote) all around very polished drawing I like the way you drew the ice breaking around his waist and the look of anger on his face is very expressive. I also like the idea that since it is winter his body is coated in a bark to protect him. My only suggestion is to take a look at the foreshortening on the forward hand (his left).

Great job every one! This was a FANTASTIC choice – it really pushed me outside of my comfort zone. I think it is the first time I have ever drawn swampthing.