Reply To: ART CLASH WEEK 12! DRAW YOUR OWN GIANT MONSTER!!! VOTE NOW!!!

Forums THE ART CLASH 1.1 ART CLASH WEEK 12! DRAW YOUR OWN GIANT MONSTER!!! VOTE NOW!!! Reply To: ART CLASH WEEK 12! DRAW YOUR OWN GIANT MONSTER!!! VOTE NOW!!!

Scott LeMien
Participant

Voted for Brett. Ever see someone else’s art and realize your skill set is woefully deficient in some aspect that you weren’t aware of before seeing this other piece? Well, that happened to me regularly at tenton and I got that again here. Little things like the underside of the tongue, and the small three helicopters really sell it, plus, the thing is sitting immense before the tops of the buildings. It made me realize I had to salvage a better attempt if I wanted to learn something, so I went back for changes. Which is not to say that there isn’t a problem with the picture for me. Where it seems the closer arm tucks behind the closer leg it creates a bad tangent making me think it’s a Popeye type forearm. The helicopter rotor blades also run into this line, making me unsure which it was supposed to be. I figure it was a leg/knee because of where the other one is. Tucking the arms in works really well to make this thing bigger, and just that one tiny area is troublesome.

Steel came up with a very interesting monster as well, I like that you went dark with the monster skin and the glowing lines along it are then accentuated. I think your background sky is a bit too close to your monster skin in terms of value, though. As an example, lets say we only have 5 values: white, black, dark gray, medium gray and light gray. If you made your monster black outlines with dark gray skin and those white power veins, he might pop in front of a medium gray sky. IIf the rubble was some other value, say light gray, it might push back, maybe. Or it might not, just my $.02. want to add that this is a really great attempt and a way more creative monster than mine. Great job!

Knight gets the value separation I was trying to get at, and one thing I didn’t mention that he does real well is keep the areas of heavy, powerful (saturated) color small. I think if you went dark grey skin and medium gray sky it might have been more scary, though. I might keep the powerful blue on the outside as a glow edge, where it touches monster skin and tried going in with a lighter color in the middle for it to really light up. Great job!

Joe your piece has some great texture to it, the dragon is well rendered, the castle behind is suggested for scale. If there’s something I want to see more of, it’s the claw into the brick. Having the dragon’s shadow on the tower wall might help sell this, and pop the pieces flying off. Showing us the exposed depth of rock it ripped through would have also worked, even a slight white line.

My piece has issues with poor composition choices, crushing a tank was an afterthought. The car stuff rendered in front is haphazard and sloppy. Also, I am going to try and work on my stuff in more of a comics-making direction, hopefully, so I hope people here are interested in that. I’m a pretty good critic who’s also pretty good on getting down on himself and getting overwhelmed with what I can’t do, so I worry that my critiques might be too much negativity or seen as condescension. Hope that isn’t the case, though. Also, typing this on my phone so my proofreading might leave something to be desired.