ART CLASH WEEK 15: DRAW YOUR OWN VERSION OF A HELLBOY IMAGE!!!

Forums THE ART CLASH 2.0 ART CLASH WEEK 15: DRAW YOUR OWN VERSION OF A HELLBOY IMAGE!!!

Whose Hellboy will bring the Right Hand of Doom on his foes?

You must be logged in to participate.
  • #1 Steel
  • #2 Knight
  • #3 Joe
  • #4 Brett
  • #5 Newbold

This topic contains 19 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Newbold 6 days, 3 hours ago.

• Author

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

FIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED IconWAR FACE Icon

DRAW YOUR OWN VERSION OF A HELLBOY IMAGE

ART BRIEF
    Draw your own take on any of the Hellboy images attached below.

CONCEPT: Mike Mignola is amazingly talented at creating and composing images. Using any of the below images for a starting point, recreate it in your own style. Be sure to pay attention to what works and what doesn’t and try to arrange the elements on the page as effectively as he does.

IMAGES

Good luck!

REFERENCE:

The Rules:
    THE ART CLASH is a weekly art challenge. Each TUESDAY a new Art Clash challenge will be posted. You may work in ANY MEDIA you like, but you must stick to the brief of this week’s Art Clash. And please, no posting old work in the Art Clash. This is about encouraging growth through work, so we expect a new piece every time.

Your final art will need to be uploaded to an image hosting service (here are a few I recommend: Imgur, Google Photos and Flickr) and then may be posted here ANY time until SUNDAY evening at MIDNIGHT (EST). Voting begins immediately afterward and polls close on MONDAY at MIDNIGHT (EST). So don’t miss out!
    The artist with the most votes for the week by the close of the polls is declared that week’s winner and chooses the next Art Clash.

***A BRIEF NOTE BEFORE WE BEGIN***
    Just a reminder that we’re currently in The Art Clash version 1.1. The primary difference in this iteration is each week’s Art Clash will feature two tiers of competition: sequential and pin-up. Anyone entering can choose to illustrate that week’s challenge in a sequential storytelling form (page templates will be provided here) or as a stand-alone, pin-up-style image. Build and illustrate a story of your own around an Art Clash challenge, or wow your audience with a single powerful image. It’s up to you. We want to foster all levels of creativity here, so this will provide an opportunity for all artists to take their work in whatever direction he or she desires and to whatever degree of finishing.

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

CAMPAIGN YEAR ONE – ULTRA RARE BADGE!!!  1 OF 1 IconFIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED IconWAR FACE Icon

I can’t wait! I have one question, I’ve never seen a picture of Hell Boy smiling. What’s up with that?

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

CAMPAIGN YEAR ONE – ULTRA RARE BADGE!!!  1 OF 1 IconFIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED IconWAR FACE Icon

I did this in around an hour.

Knight
    Participant

My Achievements

Joe Kemp
    Participant

My Achievements

FIRST HELPING HAND IconFIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED IconWAR FACE Icon

here is mine – feels good to be back!

hell boy

i just realized that i didnt really follow the rules – here is the image that I based mine off of

Steel
      Participant

My Achievements

I’m fine with anything you guys say, I just want to draw.

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

Joe! It’s so good to see you again!!

Brett Barkley
      Keymaster

My Achievements

I second what Steel said, Joe! It’s great to have you back on and great work, by the way!

-B

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

Hellbo!
    I had some fun with this one. Great suggestion!
    -B

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

I’ll leave this open a little longer, in case there are any late arrivals.
    -B

Newbold
    Participant

My Achievements

I can post up tonight, been so busy with day job stuff

Newbold
    Participant

My Achievements

hellboy sketch

Steel
      Participant

My Achievements

One thing that REALLY popped out to me was his coat! How it’s all over the place and filled with action! That’s something comics lack these days, action. It’s what made the older comics look and feel amazing. And you nailed it this week!

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

No worries, Newbold! Looks great, man!

-B

Joe Kemp
    Participant

My Achievements

FIRST HELPING HAND IconFIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED IconWAR FACE Icon

Newbold – Using the tan toned paper was a genius move for this one – it is the perfect color for his coat and really makes the highlights on his gun and the lightning pop. That along with the scratchy fog in front of his legs adds a ton of depth. I also really like the cast shadows from his horn stubs across his face.

Brett – I really love the attention to detail in his utility belt – the best part of this is rasputin’s expression he looks seriously enraged while hellboy looks calm and almost annoyed. The juxtaposition of their moods makes things very interesting. My only suggestion for improvement is to further push the size difference between the 2 characters making hellboy smaller and rasputin larger might give an even more ominous feeling. Got my vote.

Joe (self critique) there is no clear definition between the two characters so they blend in too much – maybe add a cast shadow from helboy’s hand to create depth and clarity. Cropping showing more of the rock they are standing on might have improved things and better matched the original

Knight – really impressed that you not only did a full background but also did full color! You really did a great job of setting the creepy mood and the shadows on hellboy’s face and hand really help to create depth.

steel – HOLY COW! Only and hour??? that is crazy fast for this finished of a piece. It is very clean and you are placing shadows in a very purposeful way. I especially like the way your blacks design the page and guide the viewers eye.

this was a really fun challenge – cant wait for the next one!!!

Steel
      Participant

My Achievements

Thanks, bro. I agree with everything you said. It’s good to have you back! 🙂

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

Wow, it looks like Joe came roaring back!

Congratulations and what’s next, man?

-B

Joe Kemp
    Participant

My Achievements

thanks for the votes – I was thinking of doing some thing end game related – how about we draw the captains together: Captain America and Captain Marvel together – does that sound good?

Brett Barkley
      Keymaster

My Achievements

Sounds great, Joe!

I’ll set that up.

-B

Newbold
    Participant

My Achievements

nice work Joe! thanks for the feedback!
    Capt? Capt.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

THE ARTIST SPOTLIGHT SECTION OF THE FORUM IS NOW OPEN! PLEASE FEEL FREE TO POST ANY CURRENT WORK OR PIECES FOR REVIEW, COMMENTS OR SUGGESTIONS.

THE ARTIST SPOTLIGHT SECTION OF THE FORUM IS NOW OPEN!  PLEASE FEEL FREE TO POST ANY CURRENT WORK OR PIECES FOR REVIEW, COMMENTS OR SUGGESTIONS.
Skip to toolbar