ART CLASH WEEK 18: FOUR SEASONS OF SWAMP THING!!!

Forums THE ART CLASH 2.0 ART CLASH WEEK 18: FOUR SEASONS OF SWAMP THING!!!

This topic contains 26 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Daniel Puch 1 year, 6 months ago.

• Author

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

FOUR SEASONS OF SWAMP THING

ART BRIEF
    Swamp Thing

CONCEPT: Choose one of the four seasons (Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter) and portray that through Swamp Thing and his surroundings.  You don’t have to limit yourself to his surroundings as a reflection of the season; Swamp Thing is a plant and you can go crazy with how his form reflects the changing of the seasons.  Really push it to see what you can come up with!

Good luck!

REFERENCE:

The Rules:
    THE ART CLASH is a weekly art challenge. Each TUESDAY a new Art Clash challenge will be posted. You may work in ANY MEDIA you like, but you must stick to the brief of this week’s Art Clash. And please, no posting old work in the Art Clash. This is about encouraging growth through work, so we expect a new piece every time.

Your final art will need to be uploaded to an image hosting service (here are a few I recommend: Imgur, Google Photos and Flickr) and then may be posted here ANY time until SUNDAY evening at MIDNIGHT (EST). Voting begins immediately afterward and polls close on MONDAY at MIDNIGHT (EST). So don’t miss out!
    The artist with the most votes for the week by the close of the polls is declared that week’s winner and chooses the next Art Clash.

***A BRIEF NOTE BEFORE WE BEGIN***
    Just a reminder that we’re currently in The Art Clash version 1.1. The primary difference in this iteration is each week’s Art Clash will feature two tiers of competition: sequential and pin-up. Anyone entering can choose to illustrate that week’s challenge in a sequential storytelling form (page templates will be provided here) or as a stand-alone, pin-up-style image. Build and illustrate a story of your own around an Art Clash challenge, or wow your audience with a single powerful image. It’s up to you. We want to foster all levels of creativity here, so this will provide an opportunity for all artists to take their work in whatever direction he or she desires and to whatever degree of finishing.

Steel
    Participant

Knight
    Participant

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

Since apparently the Barkleys all wanted to go with Winter, I had to switch this up at the last second. We now have Swamp Thing in the Spring!
    -B

Joe Kemp
    Participant

this one was a real challenge – i restarted this drawing what feels like a million times and I am still not happy with it.

Brett Barkley
      Keymaster

Joe, it looks great, man! Seriously. Don’t be so hard on yourself.

-B

Daniel Puch
        Participant

Brett, I am going to finish it tonight. I have the pencils but I want to ink it.

Daniel Puch
      Participant

That happen to all of us, I am never happy. Lol… just keep drawing
      🙂

Daniel Puch
    Participant

Swampy

Steel
      Participant

WOW!!! Bro! You really pushed it on this one! How the fingers fade away in the ice!

Joe Kemp
    Participant

daniel – I really love the way you made his upper body so massive especially the traps. I think it is also really cool how you made his hands distorted by the water. You handled the challenge of the vines and texture in a way that really works nicely with your style. I did my best to place the branchy/viney parts in places the veins would be and it looks like you did the same. Overall I think you captured the silhouette of the character perfectly. my only criticism is the pose is a little static and flat.

joe – self critique – as mentioned i struggled with this one. I was very intimidated by the complexity of the character’s design and therefore settled on a boring pose. In my head all of the leaves and vines needed to be placed “for a reason” and that stunted my progress. I finally just said screw it and started drawing a little more carefree – in the end I am semi-please with what i came up with but if I was to do it again I would be a bit more fearless and just draw.

brett – CRUSHED it! as usual, Not only were you able to draw an amazing piece full of detail and technical skill but you were able to evoke an emotion and tell a story. The way you took a scary monster character and made him gentle is amazing. I love the 2 birds on his shoulder and of course the nest. The background texture of the trees and the light breaking through the branches is unreal. The more i look at it the more i love it.

knight – very moody drawing – looking at it you can feel the cold. It feels like swamp thing was hibernating under the ice and is breaking free – and NOT happy about it. I like your choice to frame the drawing with the trees – it really pushes the depth by having elements that are more in the foreground

steel – (got my vote) all around very polished drawing I like the way you drew the ice breaking around his waist and the look of anger on his face is very expressive. I also like the idea that since it is winter his body is coated in a bark to protect him. My only suggestion is to take a look at the foreshortening on the forward hand (his left).

Great job every one! This was a FANTASTIC choice – it really pushed me outside of my comfort zone. I think it is the first time I have ever drawn swampthing.

Steel
      Participant

You’re right! I just saw it, his left hand is super small. Thank you, I will not make the same mistake. When I posted it, It looked like he was breaking out of winter (the ice), into spring (the background including Swamp Thing). I really had some trouble coloring Swamp Thing. I could have fixed it if I made him more pale.

Daniel Puch
      Participant

Thanks Joe for the comments and critique! I noticed that about the pose, I need to work more on good poses. I will try to improve that in the next challenge.
      Thanks again!

And great work everyone!!!

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

Joe, man, you’ve inspired me to actually start doing my part and give some critiques. So, thanks, man!

Just something I’d like you guys to think about before I drill down a little–whatever you guys come up with (it looks like a tie–ha ha, unbelievable, so I’m more than fine with having you all come up with whatever you’d like to do next– I like the aspect of being surprised), I’d like everyone to try to focus, at least for the very beginning on loose forms. Just try to give it a shot. Work hard to keep away from details, at least until you get something that conveys the energy you’d like in a piece. I worked up something quick to give you an idea. I’ve attached that below. Clearly, you don’t have to do this. But I personally believe one of the problems I have struggled with is how we as artists have generally learned to convey construction of the form first, then action. I think we can do a better job of getting both, if we try to keep the energy in the process of constructing the form…I guess what I mean by this is, try to convey the form moving the way you want, in the action you want, rather than just worrying about the form by itself (making an arm look like an arm and a leg like a leg). An arm is moving one way, draw your lines that way–and don’t worry if it just starts out as lines and loops. Just try giving it a shot and see if it helps any of you. I hope it does.

Here’s a quick idea of what I’m suggesting:

Steel – I love this image. You chose a really great angle that conveys power and strength by dropping the camera/horizon line. I’m really proud that you’ve developed that ability to bring a subtext of meaning to your art just by how the horizon line shifts. This guy is tough and you don’t want to mess with him. I’d like to see a little more controlled attention to detail (not as ridiculous as I went on this piece), but I’d like you to rely less on coloring. I want you to try to think of the job of inking as producing a piece that could stand on it’s own without color. Maybe try that for this next piece? We can discuss, if you’d like to take it in another direction. also, please watch how the angle of Swamp Thing’s figure and the angles of the trees are virtually the same. Having the trees a different angles can actually give his figure more power–almost like he’s rising up against opposing forces (emphasizing power), or you could try fading the trees in the background (which kind of integrates him in to his environment).

Knight – I think this is a great piece. Your work is growing each week. That’s such a good thing to be able to say about anyone doing anything. I really like the creepy mood of the piece and think you did a decent job with double-framing Swamp Thing (first with the trees and then again with the moon). I’d like to see you doing a little more detailing on the focus area (Swamp Thing). I know you like Mike Mignola, but if you’ll look at his work, he actually uses a fair amount of detail, he just doesn’t do a lot of hatching (which basically amounts to a gray tone). He does areas of black. He does lines in faces, in clothing, around pouches, in rocks and trees. So I’d like to see you add some detail. Also, check out how the lines of the way the trees are leaning and how they match Swamp Thing’s arms on both sides. Be careful of similar lines. They can lead the eye away from where you want it. (And please don’t feel bad, your dad made a similar mistake on his piece–check out Swamp Thing’s left arm and the tree outline that follows that exact angle above it. UGH! I hate to look at it now! 🙂 )

Joe – I think this is a really great job this week! I’m sorry you struggled with it–it really doesn’t look like it to me. Let me know what you struggled with and I can maybe give you some more directed thoughts. I think the pose is great. Some of the anatomy, particularly the left hand doesn’t appear to be accurately proportionate for where it would be, even with foreshortening…if that makes sense. It’s just a little large is all. If you consider holding your elbow roughly down by your side and extend it, with your knee forward as you have it in this photo, your hand would extend roughly in to the same vertical plane as your knee, so they’d have to be proportionate to one another, if that make sense. I actually like the shadow in his midsection, but I think you could have pushed it a little further–like more directly under his head, under his Deltoids and so forth. That’s really just nitpicking, but if you have some specific concerns, hit me up and I’ll try to help. I love that gray murky background, though!

Daniel – Great to have you back, Daniel! I really enjoy your art style. I think the design for Swamp Thing is just enough standard design and just enough yours to be really cool and interesting. I think you did a fine job with the shadows and keeping the background black does a great job of framing Swamp Thing. Probably what I’d most suggest looking at is how the forms don’t generally overlap at all. They come close (the clouds to the trees on the left side of the image), but by not overlapping the forms (the trees and more of the figure, or the trees and the clouds), it doesn’t feel as natural as it should. It feels too placed to my eye. Further, the trees that frame Swamp Thing follow the angles of his arms a little too much (ARGH! I think, with the exception of Joe, we all did a little of that this week.) But that’s just nitpicking. Great job, man!

Ok, guys, I look forward to seeing what you all come up with. And I just have to say again, I’m REALLY impressed with the quality. It’s really cool to see everyone improve week-by-week. (And, Joe, THANK YOU very much for the kind words).

-B

Daniel Puch
      Participant

Thanks Brett! I notice what you are saying. I will have that in mind for the next challenge.
      Thanks again!

Daniel Puch
    Participant

Ok, it’s a draw! We all have one vote each.

😛

Joe Kemp
    Participant

Thanks so much for the thoughtful critique – I genuinely appreciate it. This kind of feed back makes it feel like I am back in school! The main thing I struggled with this week was just getting a good starting sketch. I had this vision in my mind that I just couldn’t quite execute. I spent a fair bit of time searching for good reference on big bulky characters and how other artist have tackled the complexity of the crazy amount of detail in this character. I finally got something I liked when I decided to just draw without any expectations.
    I feel like what I ended up with is still not what I had in my mind in the beginning which is why I said that I am “still not happy”. Overall I am pleased with the end result – so much so I decided to throw some color at it.

So is the next drawing just a free choice with the recommendation of doing loose, motion driven underdrawing?

Steel
    Participant

Thanks, Dad. I see what you’re saying, and it will not happen again 🙂 . It looks like one of those crazy weeks when everybody has a vote. like Daniel said, let’s all suggest something and put it all together.

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

Let’s try to come up with something definitive. It’s so much easier to gauge growth when we’ve got a standard. I do hope we’ll each try to the looser, looped-in line (it’s not chicken-scratching, just to clarify…that’s not the kind of motion I’m talking about trying to bring to your sketches. It’s looping lines loosely, incorporating movement and form together in the piece.)

Are there any good movies, games, comics out you guys would like to try? I saw Scott did a Phantom piece on Instagram. Anybody want to do a Pulp Heroes challenge? I’ve seen Brett Wood do a ton of Star Wars bounty hunters on Instagram. Anybody want to do a lesser-known (not Bobba Fett) bounty hunter from Star Wars?

Those are just a couple ideas,
    -B

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

I’m good with the Pulp Heroes or the Star Wars bounty hunters…anyone else want to suggest something?

I’ll post one of those tomorrow morning, if no one else comes up with something.

-B

Steel
    Participant

Okay! I just looked at the link that Daniel had suggested… THERE ARE SO MANY!!!! Let’s do the lesser known Star Wars Bounty Hunters!

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

Ok. I’m not at my computer, but the challenge will be to take any lesser, NON-FETT bounty hunter and pretend he’s the main character in his own book and you have to really sell him as a lead. Does that work?

-B

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.