ART CLASH WEEK 19: SPOTLIGHT ON A LESSER-KNOWN STAR WARS BOUNTY HUNTER!!!

Forums THE ART CLASH 2.0 ART CLASH WEEK 19: SPOTLIGHT ON A LESSER-KNOWN STAR WARS BOUNTY HUNTER!!!

Whose lesser-known bounty hunter will rise to the top?

You must be logged in to participate.
  • #1 Steel
  • #2 Knight
  • #3 Daniel
  • #4 Joe
  • #5 Brett

This topic contains 23 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Daniel Puch 2 days, 22 hours ago.

• Author

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

FIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED IconWAR FACE Icon

SPOTLIGHT ON A LESSER-KNOWN STAR WARS BOUNTY HUNTER

ART BRIEF
    Any NON-FETT (NO BOBBA and NO JANGO) Star Wars bounty hunter.

CONCEPT: You’ve been given a chance to illustrate an upcoming book that will star any of the lesser-known Star Wars bounty hunters.  This is your chance to take any character and develop that character to make him or her as popular as Bobba Fett.  Are you up for the challenge?  Use existing designs (Lucas Arts is VERY strict about this), but we’ll allow you a few tweaks in order to make the character as cool, mysterious and menacing as the galaxy’s most feared bounty hunters.  Think of an image that will say everything that needs to be said about this character (and will make loads of money on t-shirts, posters, toys and statues.)

Good luck!

REFERENCE:
    (Thanks, Daniel!)
    https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Bounty_hunter

The Rules:
    THE ART CLASH is a weekly art challenge. Each TUESDAY a new Art Clash challenge will be posted. You may work in ANY MEDIA you like, but you must stick to the brief of this week’s Art Clash. And please, no posting old work in the Art Clash. This is about encouraging growth through work, so we expect a new piece every time.

Your final art will need to be uploaded to an image hosting service (here are a few I recommend: Imgur, Google Photos and Flickr) and then may be posted here ANY time until SUNDAY evening at MIDNIGHT (EST). Voting begins immediately afterward and polls close on MONDAY at MIDNIGHT (EST). So don’t miss out!
    The artist with the most votes for the week by the close of the polls is declared that week’s winner and chooses the next Art Clash.

***A BRIEF NOTE BEFORE WE BEGIN***
    Just a reminder that we’re currently in The Art Clash version 1.1. The primary difference in this iteration is each week’s Art Clash will feature two tiers of competition: sequential and pin-up. Anyone entering can choose to illustrate that week’s challenge in a sequential storytelling form (page templates will be provided here) or as a stand-alone, pin-up-style image. Build and illustrate a story of your own around an Art Clash challenge, or wow your audience with a single powerful image. It’s up to you. We want to foster all levels of creativity here, so this will provide an opportunity for all artists to take their work in whatever direction he or she desires and to whatever degree of finishing.

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

CAMPAIGN YEAR ONE – ULTRA RARE BADGE!!!  1 OF 1 IconFIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED IconWAR FACE Icon

Bossk on Mustafar. He will not keep his bounty waiting.

Knight
    Participant

My Achievements

Knight
      Participant

My Achievements

I spent A few hours on this one and I think it’s great, Oh and the ground is finished it’s just that it snowed because it’s hoth!

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

Here’s a really quick video of the kind of gestural, energetic roughs I was suggesting. Sorry, I haven’t gotten OBS to work on my main computer, so this was done on a computer I’m not really used to. And I was hoping to have it a littler earlier than this, but nonetheless, here it is.

-B

Daniel Puch
    Participant

My Achievements

FIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED Icon

Here is my favorite bounty hunter : Jas Emari!!! Ta-da!!!!
    😛

Jas Emari

Joe Kemp
    Participant

My Achievements

FIRST HELPING HAND IconFIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED IconWAR FACE Icon

this guy’s name is darth krayt or A’Sharad Hett – i had never heard of him but i wanted to draw a lightsaber

Brett Barkley
      Keymaster

My Achievements

Awesome, Joe! I love seeing the process!

-B

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

Dengar, the guy that always looked to me like a “Lawrence of Arabia” extra.

-B

Joe Kemp
    Participant

My Achievements

FIRST HELPING HAND IconFIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED IconWAR FACE Icon

I had a moment where I questioned doing critiques because I dont want to come off as a know-it-all or jerk-face. I genuinely get as much (if not more) out of a thoughtful viewing/critique of others work as I do drawing mine. So take everything I suggest with a grain of salt.

Steel – incredibly intimidating camera angle – as the viewer it really feels like I am caught and there is no way out. His evil grin is very expressive and adds to the sense of dread for the viewer. My only criticism is around his lower body – I think some deeper shadows around his hips would push that area back further making his front leg more prominent and imposing. I like the way you rendered the scaley texture on his arms and how that differs from the more armored texture of his head. Your painting technique has an almost watercolor feel to it which I really enjoy.

Knight – I dabbled with drawing IG88 but I wasnt brave enough to tackle a droid/robot type character because of the control it takes. Good for you for being up to the challenge! I think the strongest part of piece is your composition. Having the character backlit by the setting sun gives it a really cool western feel. That however leads to my critique: if the light source is coming from directly behind the character there would be more shadow in the middle of his front side (and possibly a cool cast shadow) almost creating a silhouette which i think would be very intimidating and create more drama (depending on the intensity of the light of course). The best example I have seen of this is in a piece by adam hughes – the story goes he was creating this

When he accidently turned off a layer in his file and the result was this

I think the silhouette version is far more dramatic and has more intensity and mystery.

Daniel – The expression on her face is so funny, she looks like she is almost disappointed at the lack of challenge in this particular bounty! The hand on the hip and the smoking blaster do a lot to tell a story with one image. 1) she obviously just shot the blaster because it is still smoking 2) she has her hand on her hip saying that it didn’t go exactly as planned 3) she doesn’t look happy, angry, or sad – she looks more exasperated. Being able to give that much story with one drawing is truly a skill – very well done! The more I see of your drawings the more i realize it feels a bit like Jamie Hewlett. A fun cartoony style with lots of fun details in things like blasters or accessories. I think it would be fun to see something in the foreground like the targets feet sticking up or a silhouetted hunched form from the corner.

Joe – (self critique) – Although I felt a bit rudderless on this challenge and my weekend was occupied with hockey tournament I am pleased that I was able to come up with something last minute to enter. I really appreciate the direction given by Brett to take a loose approach to the beginning stages of the drawing. I found some reference that I liked and tried to really quickly capture the “feeling” of the pose – not the details of the pose. I have a lot to learn about that but it was good to have that as a focus this week. Overall I am pretty happy with this drawing. It is a lot stiffer in the final version but I think the hair helps to sell the motion a bit.

Brett – This is another very strong drawing – I think it deserves a more thorough review – zooming in on the face gives you a wholly different appreciation for the care put into the details. I especially like the face/head scarf – your ability to create different levels of shadow and texture through different techniques and strategies. This is made even more clear by the detail of the imposing blaster. I also really love the subtle details that give you a sense of place (2 suns). My only critique is there should maybe be more shadow on his right cheek – this would cover part of his cool scar but I think it would sell the roundness of his face and how the scarf casts a bit of shadow

thanks for this – I am really having a good time with these!!!

Steel
      Participant

My Achievements

CAMPAIGN YEAR ONE – ULTRA RARE BADGE!!!  1 OF 1 IconFIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED IconWAR FACE Icon

Thanks, Joe! You have an artists eye, I did use a watercolor brush. You are also right about the shadows. If you look closely, I tried to put shadows on the front of his body because below him is lava. But I could have put darker and more shadows. Thanks!

Daniel Puch
      Participant

My Achievements

Thanks Joe for your comments! I really like that more cartoony style. Hewlett is one of my favorite artists hehehe… and I was lucking lately to some French/Belgian artist who excel at that kind of style, like the Spanish artist Munuera (he is spanish but he was published by Spirou magazine in France) , Jijé and Franquin who draw Spirou also… there are so many good artists to get inspired 🙂 … Thanks again!

Joe Kemp
        Participant

My Achievements

I had never heard of Munuera so i googled him – very much reminds me of gustavo duarte who is one of my favorites! the way he draws superheros makes it so much fun

Daniel Puch
          Participant

My Achievements

Oh, cool. I didn’t know about him. I will add it to my instagram! Thanks Joe!
          🙂

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

Ok. It looks like we’re not getting anyone else and Joe has already started reviews (thanks, Joe), so I’ll set up the poll.

-B

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

Awesome, Daniel! It looks like you rocked this one. Congratulations! What’s next, man?

-B

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

Hey! I just noticed my video didn’t post. Ugh. I’m terrible. I was trying to do something to encourage freeing up the initial figure layout. Let me see if I can get something to actually post.

-B

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

I guess we can give Daniel a little more time to come up with something. That will give me time to set up some comments and feedback.

If we don’t hear back tomorrow, we’ll set something else up. If anyone wants to make a suggestion, just let me know.

-B

Daniel Puch
      Participant

My Achievements

I was thinking about Flex Mentallo. What do you think? I wanted to do some Doom Patrol character and because Flex Mentallo is about to appear now on DC comics streaming thingy, what do you think?
      Let me know! I will check the forum again before going to bed.
      😛

Daniel Puch
    Participant

My Achievements

If that proposal has be done before, choose anything. I’m down with anything.

More ideas, Dick Tracy… The Spirit or Lieutenant Blueberry (Moebius).

🙂

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

Flex Mentallo? Wow, that’s pretty cool, man. Let’s put a spin on it…something to get us thinking a bit more. Anyone have any thoughts? I’ll try to post it up soon.

-B

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

Hmmmm…this could be a GREAT anatomy study! Ok, how about this; Flex Mentallo with reference and you have to post your reference shot.

This could be a fun and helpful.
    Sound ok?

-B

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

I know what I’m doing. 🙂

Daniel Puch
    Participant

My Achievements

This is Flex Mentallo in the flesh for the DC Comics TV Series, looks good!

Flex mentallo Real Life

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

THE ARTIST SPOTLIGHT SECTION OF THE FORUM IS NOW OPEN! PLEASE FEEL FREE TO POST ANY CURRENT WORK OR PIECES FOR REVIEW, COMMENTS OR SUGGESTIONS.

THE ARTIST SPOTLIGHT SECTION OF THE FORUM IS NOW OPEN!  PLEASE FEEL FREE TO POST ANY CURRENT WORK OR PIECES FOR REVIEW, COMMENTS OR SUGGESTIONS.
Skip to toolbar