ART CLASH WEEK 20: FLEX MENTALLO (with reference)!!!

Forums THE ART CLASH 2.0 ART CLASH WEEK 20: FLEX MENTALLO (with reference)!!!

This topic contains 16 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Daniel Puch 1 year, 6 months ago.

• Author

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

FLEX MENTALLO
    (with reference)

ART BRIEF:  Flex Mentallo.

CONCEPT: Flex Mentallo has a bodybuilder physique.  This piece is going to be a great opportunity to use real photo reference to get a better idea of anatomy and musculature.  You don’t have to do photo-realism, but try to approximate real musculature/lighting (because, lighting determines how and why and we perceive muscularity and changes in the surface of an object), using the photo reference.

Good luck!

REFERENCE:

The Rules:
    THE ART CLASH is a weekly art challenge. Each TUESDAY a new Art Clash challenge will be posted. You may work in ANY MEDIA you like, but you must stick to the brief of this week’s Art Clash. And please, no posting old work in the Art Clash. This is about encouraging growth through work, so we expect a new piece every time.

Your final art will need to be uploaded to an image hosting service (here are a few I recommend: Imgur, Google Photos and Flickr) and then may be posted here ANY time until SUNDAY evening at MIDNIGHT (EST). Voting begins immediately afterward and polls close on MONDAY at MIDNIGHT (EST). So don’t miss out!
    The artist with the most votes for the week by the close of the polls is declared that week’s winner and chooses the next Art Clash.

***A BRIEF NOTE BEFORE WE BEGIN***
    Just a reminder that we’re currently in The Art Clash version 1.1. The primary difference in this iteration is each week’s Art Clash will feature two tiers of competition: sequential and pin-up. Anyone entering can choose to illustrate that week’s challenge in a sequential storytelling form (page templates will be provided here) or as a stand-alone, pin-up-style image. Build and illustrate a story of your own around an Art Clash challenge, or wow your audience with a single powerful image. It’s up to you. We want to foster all levels of creativity here, so this will provide an opportunity for all artists to take their work in whatever direction he or she desires and to whatever degree of finishing.

Steel
    Participant

This is based off one of my favorite statues, discobolus.

And here is my reference. I almost forgot.

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

Flex Mentallo!
    I tried to shift the reference a little, just to make it a bit more dramatic.
    -B

I’ve been thinking about doing more with gray tones in my work, which is what I started out doing years and years ago in some of my first published pages. I had more time, so I thought I’d give it a shot. What do you guys think?

And quick colors. This was a fun challenge this week!

Steel
    Participant

I love it.

Knight
    Participant

I didn’t really have reference for my peace but I can just see myself winning!

Knight
    Participant

I see you guys loosing and I am winning! but it’s going to be hard because you did great jobs all of you.

Knight
    Participant

Joe Kemp
    Participant

reference

Daniel Puch
    Participant

My reference, Steve Reeves
    Steve Reeves

Pencils (I will upload inks in about half hour)

Flex Mentallo WIP

Daniel Puch
    Participant

Flex Mentallo Inks

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

Aaaaand the polls are open!
    Good luck!

-B

Joe Kemp
    Participant

steel – (got my vote) really great that you chose to use a classic statue for reference – I think you really nailed it! You took an iconic pose and exaggerated it just enough to make it feel bigger and more “super”. I think the coloring is fantastic but I would love to see you push the contrast further making the shadows super dark and the highlight super light. His left arm is much smaller than his right arm, this is especially apparent in his left hand.

brett – Seriously love the color version! I think the grey tones really help to sell the dimension and depth. Both the line art and the grey are good but I prefer the grey tones. The anatomy is super strong. I especially love his right leg and his neck. His expression is PERFECT – he almost looks like the Rock. My only negative critique is that he looks like he is tipping over backward a bit. if you took his upper torso and rotated it like ten degrees clockwise it think it would feel more balanced.

knight – I really like your piece but I really think that the use of reference would have really helped to define where everything should be. Just using an image like this would help to show where the muscles should be and how they wrap into each other. I applaud the idea and the story telling that you have done here. I really like the expression on his face – he looks smug and confident.

joe (self critique) – I am actually happy with this one in terms of using the photo but making it “more”. I feel like it is more dynamic and exaggerated I especially am happy with his right arm and how it flows into his chest/ribs. I think I may have pushed the waist too be too thin. The boots gave me some trouble and if I was to revisit this I would add more shadow to his left armpit area to push it back a bit.

daniel – It seems you and I had the same idea when searching for reference – going with an old school beach dude. In general I think you did a good job of capturing the pose. My only issue is it feels like the body/chest and the arm are detached. The muscles should overlap and flow into one another and his right arm feels like it is not part of the body. I think his pectoral could flow more into the shoulder. I also think that the hands (especially his left) could use a bit more attention. I recently watched a great video on how to draw hands and I got a lot out of it. check it out I really like the detail in the boots and the expression on the face.

this was a fun character I had never heard of great choice and fantastic work every one.

Daniel Puch
      Participant

Thanks Joe for your comments! Appreciated, definitely I will practice more drawing hands. I bought long time ago the book of 100 hands (I think that’s the name) of Bridgman.
      I always had problems drawing hands, I will have to practice more and more.

And you are right too about the chest. I noticed that it looked too flat, need to focus more on that.

Thanks again!

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

Aaaargh! Another tie?!??

Joe, as always, thanks for the heads-up, man! I appreciate your detailed critique and the time you took. I’ll try to work some critiques up myself.

Ok, Steel and I have spoken and since the series just ended, we want to do Game of Thrones, so it’s any Game of Thrones Character(s) to express an emotion (sadness, anger, love, etc.).
    Sound cool?

-B

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

Ok, so once again, Joe has shown me up. Ha Ha. Seriously, Joe, your help is invaluable and deeply appreciated. So here goes a few critiques of my own.

STEEL – I think the coloring is the first thing I notice in this piece. It’s really cool and actually very Impressionistic, something that gives you the immediate sense of realism at a glance or a distance. I love the sizing and proportions of you character–he looks superheroic! Speaking in terms of the line work, I think this is a pretty decent handling of the statue’s form in your own style. One thing that could help you, in a black and white photo like this, would be to squint at the image then reproduce with black the darker areas of the piece. That kind of simplifies the image, rendering out the lighter, less prominent information and giving you a better idea of the more pronounced areas of shadow. Also, you did a pretty decent job of keeping the main image away from the cropping areas (the right hand is a bit close), which is something we discussed. I like this one. I’d like to see you take a little more time to understand how the musculature lays and moves (the abdomen and obliques would be an area I’d like you to get a better understanding of in order to better simplify it for your own style). Great work!

KNIGHT – Buddy, Joe is TOTALLY right–you needed to use the reference! This is a fun piece, but you could have gotten so much more benefit from looking at the human body and simplifying it to fit your style. As such, I’m pretty impressed with how you illustrated the torso and broke down the main muscle groups. I want you to try a new pose for the next challenge. Let’s work on some ideas together.

JOE – I wanted to take a little extra time with your critique, as you so generously took the time to help everyone else out. I think the face is amazing. I know you said you had trouble with the boots, but I like how they stand out. I’m a sucker for details. I thought immediately of some of Travis Charest’s Wildcats work, where he laboriously rendered ever eyelet and lace of the shoes he drew. Just beautiful stuff. I didn’t see the reference image you used, but just to add a little of my own two cents in, I’d suggest the proportions could use just a bit of tweaking in order to get the more superheroic look and feel. This is something I came up with as a suggestion:

I use the Divine Proportions when I’m laying out my characters. I applied that to the image on the right, tweaking the head, hands and feet size just a bit. I lengthened the legs and raised the crotch just a bit. This will give you something that feels a bit more traditional-superhero. I added a couple areas in red for lines delineating muscle placement, but the changes with the biggest impact came from using the Divine Proportions. When I was first trying to break in to the industry, I had an editor (I won’t mention his name) tell me, “All your people look like midgets.” And that was it. My portfolio review was done and it was back to another year of drawing and trying to figure out what he meant, so I could get work at the next convention. It took me a long time to figure it out, embarrassingly long. But the book, How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way has a section on the superhero proportions. I didn’t have the book until much later, but if you do, DEFINITELY check it out. Once I understood this, it made all the difference in the world for my figures. When he said they looked like midgets, he meant they didn’t look superheroic, didn’t have the right sizing and proportions. He could have explained that, as I am now, but he’s apparently infinitely cooler than I am…so I’ll do the explaining. 😉 If you were to check some of your favorite artists (Marc silvestri, for instance is EXPERT at this), you’d see they use these proportions. In order to help anyone interested out a bit, I’ve got this guide I use for the proportions (I should also mention I’m always cross-checking and triangulating proportions on my figures, in order to try to have everything right in relation to everything else). I’ve included the guide here:

This probably won’t help you too much without a set of Divine Proportion calipers, which I also use. If anyone’s interested, I can suggest the guy I purchased mine from on ebay, but I don’t think they’re entirely necessary. It’s all about retraining the eye to see the human form as the superheroic forms. I’ve finally started (SLOWLY) a YouTube channel, so I’ll try to cover this in more depth there, but for now, I hope this helps! Great work, man! KEEP PUSHING!

DANIEL – I’ve got a really strange question for you? What do you think of Paul Pope’s work? The reason I ask is, while looking at your piece and comparing the pencils to the inks, I saw a kind of looseness in the inks that I think I should encourage you to try to push more. There’s just something in your inks that seems like you want to push and experiment, but also something holding you back. Maybe look at some of his stuff and see how it resonates with you. I’ve seen his pencils and they’re pretty tight, but then he just cuts loose with the inks. I don’t know, man. Maybe it’s too late and I need some sleep, but there’s something that just seems to be calling out for you to cut loose and see what you can do. It may take some experimenting, but I’d love to see you push it. In terms of this piece, I’d suggest paying a little more attention to hands (the face and the hands are probably the most important physical forms in comics). To that end, his left eye is higher than his right. I’d suggest flipping the image to be certain you’ve got the symmetry down. Great entry, man! Keep at it (and consider my suggestion–it could be fun).

-B

Joe Kemp
    Participant

WOW I cant tell you how much I appreciate your critique. It is really amazing to see how extending the legs changes everything. I find the critique phase is one of the most enjoyable parts of the art clash so I am glad it is appreciated. I would love to hear more about your adventures in comics and your experience with critique (also any other art books you would recommend).

Daniel Puch
      Participant

Thanks Brett! I like Paul Pope’s work a lot, really.
      I was thinking in doing something like you are suggesting me just to try a new thing.

I was thinking also in Frank Robbins, I was checking his art and is crazy good. I like Paul’s use of the inks and the brushes too.

I will try something different for the next challenge! Let’s see what happens!
      And thanks for the comments as always!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.