ART CLASH WEEK 21: GAME OF THRONES – EMOTIONAL RESONANCE!!!

Forums THE ART CLASH 2.0 ART CLASH WEEK 21: GAME OF THRONES – EMOTIONAL RESONANCE!!!

This topic contains 22 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Brett Barkley 1 year, 4 months ago.

• Author

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

GAME OF THRONES
    EMOTIONAL RESONANCE

ART BRIEF: Any character(s) from the eight seasons of Game of Thrones.

CONCEPT: Use the character(s) you illustrate to express a mood or emotion.  Try to evoke the specific mood or emotional response you’re aiming for through the use of staging, coloring, expressions, lighting, etc.

Good luck!

REFERENCE:

The Rules:
    THE ART CLASH is a weekly art challenge. Each TUESDAY a new Art Clash challenge will be posted. You may work in ANY MEDIA you like, but you must stick to the brief of this week’s Art Clash. And please, no posting old work in the Art Clash. This is about encouraging growth through work, so we expect a new piece every time.

Your final art will need to be uploaded to an image hosting service (here are a few I recommend: Imgur, Google Photos and Flickr) and then may be posted here ANY time until SUNDAY evening at MIDNIGHT (EST). Voting begins immediately afterward and polls close on MONDAY at MIDNIGHT (EST). So don’t miss out!
    The artist with the most votes for the week by the close of the polls is declared that week’s winner and chooses the next Art Clash.

***A BRIEF NOTE BEFORE WE BEGIN***
    Just a reminder that we’re currently in The Art Clash version 1.1. The primary difference in this iteration is each week’s Art Clash will feature two tiers of competition: sequential and pin-up. Anyone entering can choose to illustrate that week’s challenge in a sequential storytelling form (page templates will be provided here) or as a stand-alone, pin-up-style image. Build and illustrate a story of your own around an Art Clash challenge, or wow your audience with a single powerful image. It’s up to you. We want to foster all levels of creativity here, so this will provide an opportunity for all artists to take their work in whatever direction he or she desires and to whatever degree of finishing.

Joe Kemp
    Participant

What a great idea for a challenge!
    As soon as I read the title of the challenge I immediately thought of Indira Varma as Ellaria Sand in the episode The Mountain and the Viper. SUCH a great emotional response to such a dramatic moment.

Steel
      Participant

I don’t know much about GOT but I looked up the character you drew. You NAILED it.I love how you conquered the comic book feel!

Steel
    Participant

I’m making my own scene.

Steel
    Participant

John Snow sees Ned Stark’s sword in the woods and remembered all he did for him. One more thing. Joe, you took my throne of first to post, and I’ll start a Game of Thrones to get it back! I’m just playing, great job.

Knight
    Participant

I think i’m going to win!

Knight
    Participant

Steel
      Participant

BRO! The glow of the fire. The grin on his face… AMAZING!

Knight
    Participant

I just need some time to post

Knight
    Participant

One second

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

I almost forgot to post this! I tried to capture the feeling of, “the death of a dream”, or “the end of a dream”. It’s something you feel when there’s no way to get back what is lost. I don’t know. I’m sure there’s probably a German word for it.

In any case, I hope you like!

-B

Steel
      Participant

Amazing! This is one of the BEST pieces I’ve seen you do in my 13 years on this planet. For real.

Dafu
    Participant

I want to recall back to a more simple and innocent time: the baby dragons:)

Commercial Photography

Steel
      Participant

Hey, Dafu! It looks AMAZING!!!

Steel
      Participant

I LOVE the line work and the coloring. You REALLY worked hard on this one!

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

Great to have you back, Dafu!

I’ll leave this open a bit longer, in case anyone else wants to join in. I know with the Holiday weekend, some people may be behind.

-B

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

Ok, it looks like no one else will be stopping by, so the polls are open!

Good luck, everyone! These are all awesome this week. Everyone has really upped their game. I honestly don’t know who I’ll be able to choose. I actually love every one.

-B

Knight
    Participant

My one showed UNSTOPPABLE FURY!!!

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

AWESOME! It looks like Knight’s cool rendition of the Night King pulled this one out. Guys, I would have voted for every piece here. I think they were all that good.
    Really proud of you, Knight!
    -B

Joe Kemp
    Participant

Dafu – love the style and the overall “finished” nature of the piece. Especially the detail in the hair – really well executed. I think the juxtaposition of the children’s book/cartoony vibe with the very adult themes of the show make for a very interesting (and very marketable) piece. Your piece could be described as fun and playful – “a more simple and innocent time” is the perfect title. I would love to see the head shrunk down to less exaggerated “caricature” proportions.

Brett – this is a deceptively challenging angle especially on daenerys. The more I look at it the more I see the challenges. From a composition perspective I love it the light shining down (feels very much like the scene from the sword in the stone). It has a fairy tale vibe which is perfect for this incredibly somber moment. If I may, I have 3 suggestions that I feel would improve the piece. 1) add the bloody knife on the ground next to the body. 2) her left arm should be hanging more lifelessly, as it is now it looks like she is holding it up 3) the anatomy around her jaw line feels a bit wonky – I think her face should be moving back in perspective more

Knight – super strong hero pose. This is a super challenging view to get accurate and I think you have done very well to inject the feeling of fear – I think if you can keep the idea in mind that perspective applies to everything – buildings, cars, swords, and even people. The more dramatic/exaggerated the better for creating drama

Steel – considering the subject for the week was emotional resonance I think you NAILED it. Your likeness is very strong (this looks just like kit harington). From a storytelling perspective I would like to see him reaching for the sword – not touching it – but reaching for it. It also feels a bit flat in terms of everything is very close to the same tone – I think adding some stark white and some stark black would help to up the intensity and depth

Joe (self critique) – I had FUN with this – I am currently re-watching the series and I forgot about how strong the mountain vs the red viper episode was. The acting and storytelling is in my opinion some of the best in the series. I wanted to make this feel kind of campy by adding the dramatic subtitle and the branded episode tag with the comic code (nostalgia overload). I am most happy with the composition of this one and ellaria’s hands. I think that I could do more to add areas of black on her lower body.

Steel
      Participant

Thank you, you’re right. I worked for 3 days on that face. Great entries this week everybody. What’s next, Knight.

Brett Barkley
      Keymaster

Thanks, Joe! As always, I appreciate the comments. I’d considered adding the knife. I got asked why I left it out of Instagram. The thing is, I was trying to capture the emotion of the moment in which the dream ended for these two. I considered the knife to be a suggestion of violence, which wasn’t necessarily in line with the theme I was going for. Where the knife suggests violence (which is true, in this case), I wanted the piece to suggest something else, where the violence was secondary to the finality of this moment, drawing the eye to the end of the story, not HOW the story ended. …if that makes sense.

I’ll try to get on my critiques shortly.

-B

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

Ok. It looks like Knight would like to see A Clash of Dragons. Basically, illustrate two or more dragons in battle. Seems like a cool idea to me. Maybe we can have it so you can put your own spin on it, meaning the dragons you design can be from any time/place/style.

I’ll try to get on some critiques ASAP, as well.

-B

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.