ART CLASH WEEK 23: SHE-RA AND HER UNICORN, SWIFT WIND!!!

Forums THE ART CLASH 2.0 ART CLASH WEEK 23: SHE-RA AND HER UNICORN, SWIFT WIND!!!

Whose She-Ra will bring the strongest girl-power this week?

You must be logged in to participate.
  • #1 Steel
  • #2 Knight
  • #3 Lily
  • #4 Joe
  • #5 Newbold
  • #6 Dafu
  • #7 Honor
  • #8 Brett

This topic contains 18 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Brett Barkley 6 days, 16 hours ago.

• Author

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

FIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED IconWAR FACE Icon

SHE-RA AND SWIFT WIND

ART BRIEF: Illustrate She-Ra and Swift Wind, her unicorn.

CONCEPT: Feel free to illustrate She-Ra according to the original or reboot designs, or take this in your own direction.

Good luck!

REFERENCE:

The Rules:
    THE ART CLASH is a weekly art challenge. Each TUESDAY a new Art Clash challenge will be posted. You may work in ANY MEDIA you like, but you must stick to the brief of this week’s Art Clash. And please, no posting old work in the Art Clash. This is about encouraging growth through work, so we expect a new piece every time.

Your final art will need to be uploaded to an image hosting service (here are a few I recommend: Imgur, Google Photos and Flickr) and then may be posted here ANY time until SUNDAY evening at MIDNIGHT (EST). Voting begins immediately afterward and polls close on MONDAY at MIDNIGHT (EST). So don’t miss out!
    The artist with the most votes for the week by the close of the polls is declared that week’s winner and chooses the next Art Clash.

***A BRIEF NOTE BEFORE WE BEGIN***
    Just a reminder that we’re currently in The Art Clash version 1.1. The primary difference in this iteration is each week’s Art Clash will feature two tiers of competition: sequential and pin-up. Anyone entering can choose to illustrate that week’s challenge in a sequential storytelling form (page templates will be provided here) or as a stand-alone, pin-up-style image. Build and illustrate a story of your own around an Art Clash challenge, or wow your audience with a single powerful image. It’s up to you. We want to foster all levels of creativity here, so this will provide an opportunity for all artists to take their work in whatever direction he or she desires and to whatever degree of finishing.

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

CAMPAIGN YEAR ONE – ULTRA RARE BADGE!!!  1 OF 1 IconFIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED IconWAR FACE Icon

I tried a new way of coloring, but I still think I need to go back to the first style I made. It’s more Japanese.

Knight
    Participant

My Achievements

I saw A few things I need to fix but i think I can win!

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

These are some awesome entries! I’m going to keep this open an extra day. That will give everyone a little more time to make any last-minute corrections.

-B

Joe Kemp
    Participant

My Achievements

FIRST HELPING HAND IconFIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED IconWAR FACE Icon

This is my daughter Lily’s entry

Joe Kemp
    Participant

My Achievements

FIRST HELPING HAND IconFIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED IconWAR FACE Icon

here is mine

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

CAMPAIGN YEAR ONE – ULTRA RARE BADGE!!!  1 OF 1 IconFIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED IconWAR FACE Icon

VERY IMPRESSIVE ALL OF YOU. Welcome to the Art Clash, Lily!

Newbold
    Participant

My Achievements

SHERA

Dafu
    Participant

My Achievements

FIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED Icon

No time to include Swife Wind. I took Joe Kemp’s suggestion ( from previous Game of Thrones challenge) by shrinking the caricature head. It does look better. Thanks Joe.

Commercial Photography

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

WOW GUYS!!! AMAZING WORK, EVERYONE!

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

Holy Smokes! I wish I’d checked on here before I spent all night inking this thing…maybe I wouldn’t have bothered to ink it, then. Ha Ha.
    GREAT WORK this week!

-B

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

Honor’s

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

She-RA and Swift Wind!
    -B

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

Welcome, Lily! Glad to have you on the boards.

Glad to have everyone on this week. This will be fun to see who wins.

The polls are open.

GOOD LUCK!

-B

Joe Kemp
    Participant

My Achievements

Steel – WOW the anatomy of your swiftwind is amazing – you did a great job of keeping perspective in mind especially the way the horn, head, and body overlap and scale. You also did a great job of creating depth with the shading under the horse’s chin and having the confidence to make the back leg totally black.

Knight – i really like the brush selection/techniques you used on the grass and the clouds. It adds a very nice realistic feel to the background. It would be awesome to see that continued on the character. It looks like you are getting more and more confident with your lines. Keep up the awesome work.

Lily – awesome first entry – I am so proud of you not being afraid to enter. I think the strongest part of your piece is swiftwind – the eye and head area look like you paid attention to the reference you used to draw this. I think spending more time underdrawing would greatly improve your finished drawing.

Joe (self critique) – I am really happy with this one – I was nervous about the number of elements required to complete it (shera, horse, wings) and how to make them work together. I feel that it was pretty successful and I am really excited with how the horse turned out. I wish i had time to add color or at least a grey scale level.

Newbold – fantastic action shot – it really looks like she is charging into battle. I think the strongest part of your piece is her face. It is very expressive and you did a good job of making her look like a young hero. Her sword arm seems a little long but aside from that I think it is a very solid piece. Great coloring on the wings (I wish I would have had time to color mine).

Dafu – WOW this really looks amazing – it looks like a model for an action figure. Probably would have gotten my vote if you would have included the horse. It would be interesting to see some shading added to create a bit more depth and dimension.

Honor – beautiful action shot i can really feel the motion and energy of this one – I especially like the way you made her have a happy expression on her face like she is really in her element charging into battle.

Brett – truly beautiful moment of calm – it really looks like a reflective moment that is happening either right before the battle or just after the battle. Capturing a feeling in a moment of calm like this is an incredible skill. I especially like how you used the rear wing of swiftwind to be a frame around her head – this makes it so the detail of her face/helm isnt lost in the busyness of the wing detail great use of restraint.

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

It gives me pure JOY to have so many people and new people posting.

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

Wow! That’s certainly one way to make an entrance, Lily! Great work!

I truly wish I could have voted for everyone. I mean that. I’ll try to get some thoughts and suggestions posted later today. I just want to say, though, I love seeing the different artistic perspectives. Truly.

What’s next, Lily? 🙂

-B

Joe Kemp
    Participant

My Achievements

Lily was super excited when I told her she won – she was speechless!!! She has decided that Batgirl is next!

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

Done! Batgirl, it is. I’ll set that up shortly.

-B

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

THE ARTIST SPOTLIGHT SECTION OF THE FORUM IS NOW OPEN! PLEASE FEEL FREE TO POST ANY CURRENT WORK OR PIECES FOR REVIEW, COMMENTS OR SUGGESTIONS.

THE ARTIST SPOTLIGHT SECTION OF THE FORUM IS NOW OPEN!  PLEASE FEEL FREE TO POST ANY CURRENT WORK OR PIECES FOR REVIEW, COMMENTS OR SUGGESTIONS.
Skip to toolbar