ART CLASH WEEK 27: SPIDER GWEN!!!

Forums THE ART CLASH 2.0 ART CLASH WEEK 27: SPIDER GWEN!!!

This topic contains 24 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Brett Barkley 1 year, 3 months ago.

• Author

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

SPIDER GWEN

ART BRIEF:
    SUBJECT: ILLUSTRATE SPIDER GWEN.
    CONCEPT: This is just a simple illustration, but try to put your own unique spin on it, something that expresses the character and her world, but ABOVE ALL ELSE, MAKE IT LOOK COOL!
    Good luck!

REFERENCE:
    See above.

THE RULES:
    THE ART CLASH is a weekly art challenge. Each TUESDAY a new Art Clash challenge will be posted. You may work in ANY MEDIA you like, but you must stick to the brief of this week’s Art Clash. And please, no posting old work in the Art Clash. This is about encouraging growth through work, so we expect a new piece every time.

Your final art will need to be uploaded to an image hosting service (here are a few I recommend: Imgur, Google Photos and Flickr) and then may be posted here ANY time until SUNDAY evening at MIDNIGHT (EST). Voting begins immediately afterward and polls close on MONDAY at MIDNIGHT (EST). So don’t miss out!
    The artist with the most votes for the week by the close of the polls is declared that week’s winner and chooses the next Art Clash.

***A BRIEF NOTE BEFORE WE BEGIN***
    Just a reminder that we’re currently in The Art Clash version 1.1. The primary difference in this iteration is each week’s Art Clash will feature two tiers of competition: sequential and pin-up. Anyone entering can choose to illustrate that week’s challenge in a sequential storytelling form (page templates will be provided here) or as a stand-alone, pin-up-style image. Build and illustrate a story of your own around an Art Clash challenge, or wow your audience with a single powerful image. It’s up to you. We want to foster all levels of creativity here, so this will provide an opportunity for all artists to take their work in whatever direction he or she desires and to whatever degree of finishing.

Scott LeMien
    Participant

Steel
      Participant

Hey, Scott! Hows it been, bro!

Scott LeMien
        Participant

Hi Steel! I see you’ve been making some awesome art! I was away doing some things. I gotta get my own comic projects going, tho. What’s new w/ you?

Steel
          Participant

Thanks for the kind words. Congratulation on you comic, bro! I’ve been working on one too, I’m just writing right now. Welcome back.

Steel
    Participant

Knight
    Participant

Knight
      Participant

I mine she is just about to leap of that pole.

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

Spider Gwen!
    I went with an old 80’s-style color scheme and feel. I actually really like how it came out.
    -B

Joe Kemp
    Participant

Steel
      Participant

WOW!

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

Honor’s!

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

Ok, I think that’s everyone. I’m opening the voting now. If someone else comes along, I ‘ll figure it out.

-B

Newbold
    Participant

gwen spidey

Steel
    Participant

WOW! WE NEED TO GET NEWBOLD IN THE POLL!!!

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

Nwebold! I’m so sorry, man. But Steel has your back. I’ve added you to the poll. Great work, by the way!

-B

Joe Kemp
    Participant

Scott – love the pose, love the traditional gwen stacy haircut – the more I look at it the more I appreciate the details added – the pose is dynamic and you accomplished something incredible – you made it look like there is gravity! It truly looks like she is holding herself up – I especially love the window marker render!

Steel – got my vote because you are pushing it! Super dynamic perspective with a crazy pose on top of that it is upside-down! I love the concept and the execution is very strong.

Knight – really strong representation of the character – the pose is iconic yet feminine. I especially love how high above the city she is – great job of representing the setting with the perspective on the buildings and the park below. It looks like one of the buildings tipped over though.

Brett – This drawing directed by John Woo LOL! Just like Honor’s piece you create a ton of atmosphere and set the tone by adding elements like clouds and birds. In this case the doves along with the sunset colors in the sky say a ton about the character. Great detail on the background – I have been working on a separate project where I have been drawing more backgrounds (buildings and such) and I now respect the grind so much more. Awesome as always. My only negative critique is around her right hand – it looks a little awkwardly bent

Joe – I had a moment where I didnt want to post this – my original face was not working, I kept working away at it, I tried it with the mask on, I almost scrapped it but decided to give it one more shot – I found a portrait of a lady on pinterest that really “felt” like the character (the version in Into the Spider-Verse) and used it as referecne. I am happy I stuck with it – however I think I need to push the exaggeration of the anatomy – and not be a wuss about backgrounds.

Honor – fantastic pose – very iconic “spider-person” crouch. Wonderful job of creating atmosphere with the cloud covered moon.

Newbold – You did a wonderful job of pushing the character forward using contrast. The bright white, the rich black, and the pink ahead of the neutral grey really makes the character pop off the page – this is further emphasized by the perspective of the web going off the screen. The pose looks very dynamic however something doesn’t feel right with the location/orientation of the rib cage – they way it is currently it looks like her torso has no curve to it.

Steel
      Participant

Thanks bro, you really nailed the window!

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

I think any number of these should have won this week. Truly. Scott, that’s one of the best pieces I’ve seen you do. I was wondering, is there any way you can post images through a different site? I believe Steel and Knight can’t currently see your posts through Instagram.

It looks like a tie again. Joe, anything you’d like to do?

-B

Joe Kemp
    Participant

Amazing drawings by everyone this week!
    I’m totally flexible – if you have an idea by all means lead the way!

I have a few ideas I have been keeping in my back pocket if I should ever sneak a win.
    (simple ideas)
    TMNT
    Stranger Things
    your favorite Dwayne Johnson character

(more artsy fartsy ideas)
    batman and robin getting coffee after a long night of crime fighting
    gambit and rogue cooking dinner together
    Mr. Freeze and his pet polar bear

Scott LeMien
    Participant

Great stuff this week! I voted for Joe’s: those hands and that face looked too nice to pass up on.

Awesome foreshortening by Steel. Knight does a great job suggesting how high up she is. Brett does foreshortening that I can’t replicate, but want to. Honor has a great, strong looking picture with almost a kinda classic symmetry. And Dave, who hilariously said he wasn’t gonna enter, pulls out another great piece done with real pen and ink, which has no undos, no re-scaling, flopping, etc. That’s hard to pull off.

Brett: I hear what you’re saying about image posting, but navigating this forum posting thing is kinda more time than I wanna spend on my stinky mobile browser, so just putting an Instagram link is so much easier. I guess we will see, and I will just have to suffer the consequences.

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

Hmmm…I’m liking TMNT, or maybe Mr Freeze.

BUT if anyone has something better, suggest it. I’ll set something up when i.get home

-B

Scott LeMien
    Participant

Micronauts, design a new he-man character, six million dollar man, black canary, legend of zelda, splatoon, arms, mario party, dark souls, circus of crime, Rom, savage dragon, green goblin, dr. Strange, nexus, gatchaman, star trek, elric

Steel
    Participant

Wow, I’m up for Elric.

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

Actually, Elric is a really cool suggestion.

That’s what we’ll go with.

Love it,
    -B

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.