ART CLASH WEEK 28: ELRIC!!!

Forums THE ART CLASH 2.0 ART CLASH WEEK 28: ELRIC!!!

Whose is the true Elric Melniboné?

You must be logged in to participate.
  • #1 Steel
  • #2 Knight
  • #3 Scott
  • #4 Brett
  • #5 Joe
  • #6 Dafu

This topic contains 26 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Brett Barkley 5 hours, 15 minutes ago.

• Author

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

FIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED IconWAR FACE Icon

ELRIC

ART BRIEF:
    SUBJECT: ELRIC OF MELNIBONE.
    CONCEPT: Elric is described as follows:  “It is the colour of a bleached skull, his flesh; and the long hair which flows below his shoulders is milk-white. From the tapering, beautiful head stare two slanting eyes, crimson and moody, and from the loose sleeves of his yellow gown emerge two slender hands, also the colour of bone.” 

Elric is a moody wanderer, a walking contradiction.  Sickly and thin, he leaves only death and destruction in his path when wielding Stormbringer, the soul-eating sword he is bonded to.  Illustrate an image that captures the essence of this tortured character.
    Good luck!

REFERENCE:
    See above.

THE RULES:
    THE ART CLASH is a weekly art challenge. Each TUESDAY a new Art Clash challenge will be posted. You may work in ANY MEDIA you like, but you must stick to the brief of this week’s Art Clash. And please, no posting old work in the Art Clash. This is about encouraging growth through work, so we expect a new piece every time.

Your final art will need to be uploaded to an image hosting service (here are a few I recommend: Imgur, Google Photos and Flickr) and then may be posted here ANY time until SUNDAY evening at MIDNIGHT (EST). Voting begins immediately afterward and polls close on MONDAY at MIDNIGHT (EST). So don’t miss out!
    The artist with the most votes for the week by the close of the polls is declared that week’s winner and chooses the next Art Clash.

***A BRIEF NOTE BEFORE WE BEGIN***
    Just a reminder that we’re currently in The Art Clash version 1.1. The primary difference in this iteration is each week’s Art Clash will feature two tiers of competition: sequential and pin-up. Anyone entering can choose to illustrate that week’s challenge in a sequential storytelling form (page templates will be provided here) or as a stand-alone, pin-up-style image. Build and illustrate a story of your own around an Art Clash challenge, or wow your audience with a single powerful image. It’s up to you. We want to foster all levels of creativity here, so this will provide an opportunity for all artists to take their work in whatever direction he or she desires and to whatever degree of finishing.

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

CAMPAIGN YEAR ONE – ULTRA RARE BADGE!!!  1 OF 1 IconFIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED IconWAR FACE Icon

BOOM! Elric holding out his mighty sword.

Scott LeMien
      Participant

My Achievements

Very cool, dynamic picture, Steel! Would have liked to see more of the view of the body to establish Elric a bit more. That said, foreshortening is never easy, so kudos on that!

Steel
        Participant

My Achievements

CAMPAIGN YEAR ONE – ULTRA RARE BADGE!!!  1 OF 1 IconFIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED IconWAR FACE Icon

Thanks man. I agree, I knew the sword was covering too much of his body.

Knight
    Participant

My Achievements

Steel
      Participant

My Achievements

Your goal was to hit a Mike Mignola art style… and you NAILED it! The eye and the shadows! DANG.

Scott LeMien
      Participant

My Achievements

Knight, I like the whole figure and the large pools of blacked out content work really well, they are very powerful. Big plus that you went full figure and background. Are those flames I see in the background as well? Great job!

Scott LeMien
    Participant

My Achievements

Elric

Elric picture

Steel
      Participant

My Achievements

Thanks for posting differently, I can see it now. I REALLY love the sword and the background! NAILED IT!

Scott LeMien
      Participant

My Achievements

I addressed the issues I had with this drawing in the artist’s spotlight. Because I realized a shortcoming from another submitted piece, I decided to put my attempts to learn elsewhere. After seeing Brett’s, my picture looked flat as a board suddenly.

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

Elric!
    -B

Scott LeMien
      Participant

My Achievements

I’m already doing some ‘learnin’ by tracing over brett’s forms and trying to redo my pose in that perspective. Don’t need anyone to wait on it, tho

Steel
      Participant

My Achievements

I LOVE the face! The sword with all the runes and the way his hair flows in the wind. NAILED IT!

Scott LeMien
      Participant

My Achievements

Really well done, the only thing I see as a missed opportunity here is that the physique doesn’t really say the generally weak Elric. Yours looks jacked and very heroic, but maybe that is more the armor and layers. Got my vote

Joe Kemp
    Participant

My Achievements

FIRST HELPING HAND IconFIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED IconWAR FACE Icon

Steel
      Participant

My Achievements

Again, Joe, AMAZING LINE WORK!

Scott LeMien
      Participant

My Achievements

Joe: great job! Things I love, that I bet you loved drawing: that winding hair, the turned away chest, it’s very clear and clean and is more in line with what I would imagine his physique is. The missed opportunity, in my mind is namely in the straps. The belt stretching across his chest, curving the belts around his arm, etc. These are great perspective cues to take advantage of! Great job!

Dafu
    Participant

My Achievements

FIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED Icon

I was always aware of Elric but never drew him until now.

Commercial Photography

Steel
      Participant

My Achievements

There’s a first time for everything.

Scott LeMien
      Participant

My Achievements

This looks great! Love the brushwork and mood. I would have loved to have seen the picture a bit larger, and Stormbringer a larger blade. Great job!

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

WOW GUYS!!!! THIS IS AMAZING!!! SO MANY PEOPLE POSTING!

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

Guys,
    Thanks to everyone who got their stuff posted. This is an amazing week. I’m going to leave it open just a bit longer for Newbold…just in case. I hate closing it before someone can enter. So we’ll give him a chance, in case he’s going to this week.
    -B

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

So it looks like Newbold won’t make it this week. The poll is open now. Voting is all day Tuesday, closing 9:00 EST, or so, in the evening.

Good luck, everyone! I’m still figuring out who I want to vote for…
    -B

Scott LeMien
    Participant

My Achievements

In case you’re looking for a suggestion, I’m gonna say Venger, but only because someone already asked me to draw him, so not a big deal.

Anyone else blown away by the Sam Liu Elric? I made that my phone lock screen super quick.

Steel
      Participant

My Achievements

Yes, I know. I saw that and I was like, “bruh, this is awesome.”

Brett Barkley
      Keymaster

My Achievements

Dafu, I was sure you were going to win this one. Great job, everyone! I’m going to take Joe’s suggestion of Mister Freeze and put a slight spin on it for this week’s challenge. I’ll be posting that soon.

Thanks for the votes, guys! I thought this was a fantastic challenge. I truly enjoyed it.

-B

Brett Barkley
      Keymaster

My Achievements

Scott, that’s a fantastic suggestion! I would have taken that, if I hadn’t finally come up with something cool (pardon the pun) for Joe’s suggestion from last week. But be sure to suggest him next. I’d love to work on that character.

I had to look him up. I was getting him confused with another fantasy character from the 80s…the guy I’m thinking of is a big barbarian-looking guy with a large helmet that covers his entire face…I think it had bat wings on the sides. Does anyone know who I’m trying to describe? I was thinking of suggesting this character sometime, but I can’t remember who it is or what he’s called.

-B

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

THE ARTIST SPOTLIGHT SECTION OF THE FORUM IS NOW OPEN! PLEASE FEEL FREE TO POST ANY CURRENT WORK OR PIECES FOR REVIEW, COMMENTS OR SUGGESTIONS.

THE ARTIST SPOTLIGHT SECTION OF THE FORUM IS NOW OPEN!  PLEASE FEEL FREE TO POST ANY CURRENT WORK OR PIECES FOR REVIEW, COMMENTS OR SUGGESTIONS.
Skip to toolbar