ART CLASH WEEK 3: ELEKTRA VS NINJAS IN THE SNOW-DAVID NEWBOLD WINS!!!

Forums THE ART CLASH 2.0 ART CLASH WEEK 3: ELEKTRA VS NINJAS IN THE SNOW-DAVID NEWBOLD WINS!!!

Whose Elektra slices and dices ninjas the best?

You must be logged in to participate.
  • #1 Steel
  • #2 Knight
  • #3 Brett
  • #4 David
  • #5 Daniel

This topic contains 28 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Brett Barkley 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

FIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED IconWAR FACE Icon

<p style=”text-align: center;”><span style=”font-family: impact, sans-serif; font-size: 36pt; color: #ff0000;”>ELEKTRA VS NINJAS IN THE SNOW</span>

<span style=”font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif; color: #ff0000;”>ART BRIEF</span>
    <span style=”font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif;”>SUBJECT: ELEKTRA VS NINJAS IN THE SNOW.</span>

<span style=”font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif;”>CONCEPT: And once again sticking with the snow theme, we’re drawing Marvel’s Elektra vs ninjas in the snow. </span><span style=”font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif;”>Good luck!</span>

<span style=”font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif;”>REFERENCE:</span>

<span style=”font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif;”>The Rules:</span>
    <span style=”font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif;”>THE ART CLASH is a weekly art challenge. Each TUESDAY a new Art Clash challenge will be posted. You may work in ANY MEDIA you like, but you must stick to the brief of this week’s Art Clash. And please, no posting old work in the Art Clash. This is about encouraging growth through work, so we expect a new piece every time.</span>

<span style=”font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif;”>Your final art will need to be uploaded to an image hosting service (here are a few I recommend: Imgur, Google Photos and Flickr) and then may be posted here ANY time until SUNDAY evening at MIDNIGHT (EST). Voting begins immediately afterward and polls close on MONDAY at MIDNIGHT (EST). So don’t miss out!</span>
    <span style=”font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif;”>The artist with the most votes for the week by the close of the polls is declared that week’s winner and chooses the next Art Clash.</span>

<span style=”font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif;”>***A BRIEF NOTE BEFORE WE BEGIN***</span>
    <span style=”font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif;”>Just a reminder that we’re currently in The Art Clash version 1.1. The primary difference in this iteration is each week’s Art Clash will feature two tiers of competition: sequential and pin-up. Anyone entering can choose to illustrate that week’s challenge in a sequential storytelling form (page templates will be provided here) or as a stand-alone, pin-up-style image. Build and illustrate a story of your own around an Art Clash challenge, or wow your audience with a single powerful image. It’s up to you. We want to foster all levels of creativity here, so this will provide an opportunity for all artists to take their work in whatever direction he or she desires and to whatever degree of finishing.</span>

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

CAMPAIGN YEAR ONE – ULTRA RARE BADGE!!!  1 OF 1 IconFIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED IconWAR FACE Icon

I’m going for more of an after-battle piece (and we all know who won 🙂 ).

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

CAMPAIGN YEAR ONE – ULTRA RARE BADGE!!!  1 OF 1 IconFIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED IconWAR FACE Icon

I can’t wait to see what everybody has to offer!

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

Now remember I have two of these things LOL. This piece is showing her POWER!!!

I said I had two. Here is the other.

Knight
    Participant

My Achievements

Steel
      Participant

My Achievements

This is by far the best you’ve done yet!

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

Elektra vs ninjas in the snow!
    -B

Steel
      Participant

My Achievements

She’s got a LOT to handle here! I wish this was a video so I could know what happens here! And those Ninjas look like they know how to kill. Just look at their eyes.

Newbold
    Participant

My Achievements

Elektra vs Ninjas

Steel
      Participant

My Achievements

I love that it feels like there is an endless amount of Ninjas!!! Will she win?!

Daniel Puch
    Participant

My Achievements

FIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED Icon

Elektra

Steel
      Participant

My Achievements

I LOVE the location. In the woods, Elektra is surrounded. Will she survive, or will the Ninjas over power her!?

Daniel Puch
        Participant

My Achievements

hahaha… she seems to be waiting to finish them when they come closer…
        😛

I think I need to do a new one more in combat mode.
        🙂

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

Steel! Wow! Two pieces??! That’s awesome! I love that you’re putting so much work in to these weekly drawing challenges.

Steel
      Participant

My Achievements

Thank you.

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

Voting is now open and critiques are forthcoming.

Steel (1) –
    Steel (2) –
    Knight –
    David –
    Daniel –

-B

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

Voting is now open and critiques are forthcoming.

Steel (1) – Wow. Two pieces. Now that’s an artist I can relate to. Ha Ha. Great work on giving it your best, then trying to do it one better! Ok. For the first piece, I think this is a VERY attractive female face and form. I like the pose and that look is cold, cold, man. She is a killer. Everything about this piece says that. And I REALLY like how you so readily captured that feel. I think the general form (the silhouette) for her figure is really good, but I think some of the details you used inside the form don’t quite fit. The shadows, on the chest for instance, the placement of the belly button. These are just small things, but they hold it back a little. Also, her left hand needs work. Use your own hand as a general model. Act as if it’s your hand doing that and draw those general lines. You’ll get it. GREAT WORK!
    Steel (2) – This piece has the makings of a really, really strong work. I love the composition. You’ve captured the action really well and the general figure arrangement is great. I’d like to see you spend just a little more time refining the general forms before moving to inks. I’d like to suggest something that may help you with pieces like this, particularly with the ninja figure: Draw the hands first and consider where they are in relation to the rest of the body. Hold your hand up in a similar way and see how it comes out beyond the vertical plane the knee is on. His right hand should be bigger, moving out toward us. Also, in order to convey more action, stagger the sides of the body that move forward. For instance, if his right hand is moving forward, his left leg should also be more forward. this isn’t a rule, but just feels a little more active. Let me know if you have questions on this. GREAT WORK!
    Knight – I think this should win hands-down for most improved piece of work! Knight, great job! Truly. I like your idea for the composition and I know how much you worked to develop it. I’m proud of what you’ve got here. I want you to continue working at this level, focusing on the foundations. Right now, you’re focused on process–gradually moving from roughs to pencils. This is good. We’ll work next on the basic forms of anatomy, while still maintaining the focus on process. I’d also suggest, with things like snow, to be more random–let some of it fall over the characters. GREAT. WORK.
    David – This is a fantastic piece, David! I love the

action

and flow…the coloring and the inking, particularly in the snow (around her right leg), REALLY evoke the Frank Miller Elektra Lives again style. Your inking, of course, for her figure is spot on. I truly love this piece. The only issue I have with this work is how you framed Elektra. Her head and hair get lost in the block of black in the ninjas at the back. Maybe you could have left the solid black out of the background? That way, she would be weightier by comparison. But this is a great piece of work. I would be very, very surprised if you don’t sell this very quickly at a con. What do you want to do next?
    Daniel – No way does this suck, man! This is, by far, THE BEST face I’ve seen you draw. This is fantastic. I do wish you would have put more time in to this piece, but that face is really solid–very Frank Miller…but actually pretty (my sincere apologies to Frank Miller). But even with rushed pieces–and I am on a lot of rushed deadlines–you can still come up with solidly-composed pieces. You don’t have to do this, but I would recommend this to you, Daniel, as I believe it can help your work–BEFORE you get anywhere even close to details (like that AMAZING face), block everything out. If you’re working traditionally, find a carpenter pencil, or a drawing pencil with rectangular lead. The point is to stay away from details, to work out the general forms (Elektra, the ninjas, the trees, if you need them). This is SO important and a very quick step. But don’t skip it. Then you can easily build the details IN THE KEY PLACES. But because you’ve blocked it all in, you’ll be able to generalize and determine quickly where you’ll require details and where you’ll be able to take shortcuts. I don’t have the chance to spend a lot of time on the Art Clash each week, because I’ve been on deadlines, so I use this each week to get pieces done quickly. Please give it a shot and see if it can work for you. And if you have questions, just let me know. I’ll help however I can.
    -B

Daniel Puch
    Participant

My Achievements

I know the critique of mine is going to be, you suck!
    Lol

Steel
      Participant

My Achievements

Let me tell you, Daniel. The Art Clash wouldn’t be the same without you. Without any of you guys, this place wouldn’t be the same. Keep up the good work.

Daniel Puch
        Participant

My Achievements

hahaha… Thanks Steel!

Daniel Puch
      Participant

My Achievements

Ok, thank you very much Brett! I am beginning to work on doing a more simple drawing but trying to create the maximum impact. Did you see the work of Brahm Revel in Guerrillas?. He’s also working on TMNT and he does exactly that, very loose inks (seems like pencils) and the drawing seems to be done very fast, but with a lot of movement and well designed panels and pages.
      I am trying to achieve something that can be done fast but it also looks good.
      Like this, maybe not so simplified, but something like that. Thanks again for the advice Brett. I will work on that for the next challenge!

El Revel

Brett Barkley
        Keymaster

My Achievements

Very cool, Daniel. I like the page you posted. I’m not familiar with the artist you mentioned, but I can see what you’re going for–clear and concise storytelling that scans quickly.

How about I make a couple suggestions that may help you toward your goal? This may give you a place to start. Referencing the page you posted above, try focusing on roughly geometric shapes and how you frame/contrast them. It’s how you’ll lead the eye and where you’ll give it places to rest (the important places in the panel/page). The rest is really just shorthand, or simplified representations of reality (blocked in figures, cars, trees).

I look forward to seeing what you come up with!
        -B

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

Looks like David won this one. So what’s next?

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

Calling for David Newbold. Congratulations, Dave!

But I’ve got to start bringing it. I’m tired of losing. I’ll be off my current project deadline in the next couple days…just watch out soon, Dave…

-B

Steel
      Participant

My Achievements

I don’t trust that smile on your picture anymore.

Brett Barkley
        Keymaster

My Achievements

Buddy, buddy, buddy…you never should have.
        😈
        -B

Steel
          Participant

My Achievements

😰😨😱😭

Newbold
    Participant

My Achievements

thanks for the votes everyone!
    I say we switch up universes and do Batman in the snow.

Newbold
    Participant

My Achievements

oh and thanks for the crits- you are right of course I tried to pull her head out of the shadows with highlight on her hair but once it’s black it’s hard to go back. heh.

I voted for Knight!

great work everyone lets keep it going with bats and snow!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

THE ARTIST SPOTLIGHT SECTION OF THE FORUM IS NOW OPEN! PLEASE FEEL FREE TO POST ANY CURRENT WORK OR PIECES FOR REVIEW, COMMENTS OR SUGGESTIONS.

THE ARTIST SPOTLIGHT SECTION OF THE FORUM IS NOW OPEN!  PLEASE FEEL FREE TO POST ANY CURRENT WORK OR PIECES FOR REVIEW, COMMENTS OR SUGGESTIONS.
Skip to toolbar