ART CLASH WEEK 46: THE JOKER!!!

Forums THE ART CLASH 1.1 ART CLASH WEEK 46: THE JOKER!!!

Whose Joker will have the last laugh?

You must be logged in to participate.
  • #1 Steel
  • #2 Knight
  • #3 Daniel
  • #4 Brett

This topic contains 11 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Steel 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

FIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED IconWAR FACE Icon

THE JOKER

ART BRIEF
    SUBJECT: The Joker

CONCEPT: An easy week for once.  Your assignment is draw a rendition of any version of The Joker from DC comics.  Good luck!

The Rules:
    THE ART CLASH is a weekly art challenge. Each TUESDAY a new Art Clash challenge will be posted. You may work in ANY MEDIA you like, but you must stick to the brief of this week’s Art Clash. And please, no posting old work in the Art Clash. This is about encouraging growth through work, so we expect a new piece every time.

Your final art will need to be uploaded to an image hosting service (here are a few I recommend: Imgur, Google Photos and Flickr) and then may be posted here ANY time until SUNDAY evening at MIDNIGHT (EST). Voting begins immediately afterward and polls close on MONDAY at MIDNIGHT (EST). So don’t miss out!
    The artist with the most votes for the week by the close of the polls is declared that week’s winner and chooses the next Art Clash.

***A BRIEF NOTE BEFORE WE BEGIN***
    Just a reminder that we’re currently in The Art Clash version 1.1. The primary difference in this iteration is each week’s Art Clash will feature two tiers of competition: sequential and pin-up. Anyone entering can choose to illustrate that week’s challenge in a sequential storytelling form (page templates will be provided here) or as a stand-alone, pin-up-style image. Build and illustrate a story of your own around an Art Clash challenge, or wow your audience with a single powerful image. It’s up to you. We want to foster all levels of creativity here, so this will provide an opportunity for all artists to take their work in whatever direction he or she desires and to whatever degree of finishing.

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

CAMPAIGN YEAR ONE – ULTRA RARE BADGE!!!  1 OF 1 IconFIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED IconWAR FACE Icon

Today I went for more of a dark style. Based on the Youtube channel TheBoxOfficeArtist, I really like his style. But I REALLY like ZHC’s style. I think Dad would like it. But that’s what I was going for this time around. Good luck to all!

Knight
    Participant

My Achievements

Daniel Puch
    Participant

My Achievements

FIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED Icon

The Joker Fan Art

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

The Joker!
    -B

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

CAMPAIGN YEAR ONE – ULTRA RARE BADGE!!!  1 OF 1 IconFIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED IconWAR FACE Icon

GG guys!!!

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

Aaaaand another tie. I’m going to have to do something about this. It would be good to have more people involved. But for now, I’ll get a new challenge posted tomorrow.

I wanted to give some feedback to the entries for this week, some things to work on for next week.

Steel – This was a different style for you. I’m glad to see you’re experimenting. I love that! I really like what you did with the ear and the rim lighting on the opposite side of his face. You work is coming along really nicely, but I’d like you to focus a little more on symmetry and how you suggest that when a character is turned in 3/4 view. Remember, all of this stuff is just simple shapes and they’re generally symmetrical, so if you keep that in mind, you should have generally the same dimensions and placement on either side of the face. I tried to work up a quick draw-over for you to get an idea of what I’m suggesting. Check that out here:

I made a couple of extra changes as well, for the ear and nose placement. It’s a general rule that we can draw a line around the head at the level of the eyebrows and it will match up with the top of the ears. A similar line drawn around the head at the tip of the nose will match up with the bottom of the ears. The guidelines I drew should help a little bit in seeing how we use parts of the face and head to compare to one another…sort of triangulating to get accurate proportions and dimensions.

Knight – This is a really interesting piece and I like what you’re going for. I like how The Joker is framed and I like how the Jack in the Box dolls all point toward him. This is a fun image…not really all that sinister and I love it. Honestly, the only suggestions I could offer would be to work on your basic drawing skills. You’ve got fantastic ideas and I believe you see the images in your head. Trust me, I know how frustrating it can be to not be able to nail what you’re seeing in your mind. Please try to spend more time penciling. I’d love to see what you can do with a stronger foundation. I think you’ll have even better finished products and that is certainly exciting to me.

Daniel – I really like the style of this piece, Daniel. I like where you’re going with. The more I look at this work, the more I really like the potential I see in it. There’s something that almost reminds me of old Frank Quitely, or maybe old Doug Mahnke, which is a good thing. In any case, I have some thoughts for you. These are things I’d like you to consider in your work and if you do, I believe you’ll quickly become a much stronger artist. It always comes down first to the simple things. All the details, the hatching, the stylistic decisions are just icing on the cake. We HAVE to get the simple things right. I think you did this piece digitally. If so, I want you to flip your images from now on. I’ve done so here:

Do you notice at first glance how it seems a little off, or lop-sided? I’ve made a few highlights to show where the image is off. The eyes are different sizes, the ears are at different angles and one eyebrow is significantly higher. These are all easy mistakes to make. We get used to looking at something one way and may not notice how we’ve skewed things to one side. By flipping the image we can get a better idea of where we’re a little off. I’ve also made some suggestions for hair. You do a fine job thinking of hair as clumps, but I suggest now trying to show hair as DIFFERENT-SIZED clumps. This gives a little more visual interest to the piece. I hope this makes sense, but feel free to drop me a line if you have questions.

I hope some of these thoughts can help give you guys something to try for next week. Good luck!

-B

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

Thank you so much, Dad. What you are doing here is only doing what the Art Clash was made for, helping people. GG

Daniel Puch
      Participant

My Achievements

Thanks Brett, I appreciate your comments. I probably will fix it digitally (I did it in paper) and then I will add some color.

Thanks again!

Edit: This was for Brett, I clicked the wrong “reply” link.
      🙂

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

The next Art Clash will be Calvin and Hobbes’ Greatest Adventure! This will be a cool change of pace for us, so get concepting. I can’t wait to see what you all come up with.
    -B

Daniel Puch
      Participant

My Achievements

Calvin and Hobbes sounds good!!! Cool!
      🙂

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

I can’t wait!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

THE ARTIST SPOTLIGHT SECTION OF THE FORUM IS NOW OPEN! PLEASE FEEL FREE TO POST ANY CURRENT WORK OR PIECES FOR REVIEW, COMMENTS OR SUGGESTIONS.

THE ARTIST SPOTLIGHT SECTION OF THE FORUM IS NOW OPEN!  PLEASE FEEL FREE TO POST ANY CURRENT WORK OR PIECES FOR REVIEW, COMMENTS OR SUGGESTIONS.
Skip to toolbar