ART CLASH WEEK 49: REDRAW A SCENE FROM GUTTER MAGIC!!!

Forums THE ART CLASH 1.1 ART CLASH WEEK 49: REDRAW A SCENE FROM GUTTER MAGIC!!!

Who did their Gutter Magic redraw best?

You must be logged in to participate.
  • #1 Steel
  • #2 Brett
  • #3 Knight
  • #4 Daniel

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Daniel Puch 2 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Author

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

FIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED IconWAR FACE Icon

REDRAW A SCENE FROM GUTTER MAGIC

ART BRIEF
    SUBJECT: GUTTER MAGIC.

CONCEPT: We hope you’ve read Gutter Magic for this one (and if you haven’t, what’s wrong with you?!??! ;)). Redraw and improve on any scene or shot from the story. This can be sequential or it can be a single image.  Good luck!

The Rules:
    THE ART CLASH is a weekly art challenge. Each TUESDAY a new Art Clash challenge will be posted. You may work in ANY MEDIA you like, but you must stick to the brief of this week’s Art Clash. And please, no posting old work in the Art Clash. This is about encouraging growth through work, so we expect a new piece every time.

Your final art will need to be uploaded to an image hosting service (here are a few I recommend: Imgur, Google Photos and Flickr) and then may be posted here ANY time until SUNDAY evening at MIDNIGHT (EST). Voting begins immediately afterward and polls close on MONDAY at MIDNIGHT (EST). So don’t miss out!
    The artist with the most votes for the week by the close of the polls is declared that week’s winner and chooses the next Art Clash.

***A BRIEF NOTE BEFORE WE BEGIN***
    Just a reminder that we’re currently in The Art Clash version 1.1. The primary difference in this iteration is each week’s Art Clash will feature two tiers of competition: sequential and pin-up. Anyone entering can choose to illustrate that week’s challenge in a sequential storytelling form (page templates will be provided here) or as a stand-alone, pin-up-style image. Build and illustrate a story of your own around an Art Clash challenge, or wow your audience with a single powerful image. It’s up to you. We want to foster all levels of creativity here, so this will provide an opportunity for all artists to take their work in whatever direction he or she desires and to whatever degree of finishing.

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

CAMPAIGN YEAR ONE – ULTRA RARE BADGE!!!  1 OF 1 IconFIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED IconWAR FACE Icon

I went with my favorite scene, the heart warming end that will truly give you a lump in your throat. I hope this piece honored Gutter Magic.

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

I always wanted to do more with Cinder’s grandfather in World War 2. Here is a page of Cinder’s grandfather using the pistol the way it should be used–MAGICALLY!
    -B

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

CAMPAIGN YEAR ONE – ULTRA RARE BADGE!!!  1 OF 1 IconFIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED IconWAR FACE Icon

JEEZ, DAD. I wish I had a pistol like Cyrus! Very impressed! I like the 4th panel because of the Dark Side style of moving. Very impressed!

Knight
    Participant

My Achievements

I am sorry i was late, i want to improve in my art.

Daniel Puch
    Participant

My Achievements

FIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED Icon

I didn’t have time to redraw an entire scene, but here is my drawing

Gutter Magic Challenge

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

Thanks for the votes, guys. I really liked what you all brought this time.
    Steel – You PERFECTLY captured the hope of the last scene. I really like you pulled this off.
    Knight – This was a REALLY tough piece to try and tackle…trust me, it was tough to draw the first time! I want to work with you some on creating forms and giving them weight. The dragon gets lost pretty easily in this piece and the buildings could use some work…but I LOVE that you wanted to push this hard. Wow. I am impressed. But for the next piece, I want you to try and not go Jupiter right out of the gate. Maybe just settle for the moon. 😉
    Daniel – I know you didn’t have a lot of time, but I like what you came up with. You’ve got a decent structure for your faces. I know we talked earlier about symmetry. I can see you worked on that. Fantastic! On this particularly piece, I’d recommend being careful about the lines you add to the face. The lines on the forehead and around the eyes make Cinder look a little older. If you want your figures to look younger, try removing the horizontal wrinkles on his forehead and try taking out the circular lines (which we read as bags) under his eyes. When you’re dealing with younger people, the lines under the eyes are tighter, much more linear and horizontal. With time and gravity, they tend to droop. I’m really, really happy you worked on paying attention to the symmetry of the face! GREAT JOB!

Ok, for the next week’s challenge, we’re going to design a soldier from the future. What does he look like? Totally up to you. But have fun with it and see if it can spark some creativity–maybe even a story idea or concept.

Great work!
    -B

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

Scratch that. What was I thinking??!?! Would you guys rather do something Christmas-themed?
    That sounds a little better, doesn’t it?
    -B

Daniel Puch
      Participant

My Achievements

FIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED Icon

Thanks Brett! I will pay more attention to not adding so much lines. He looks older, indeed.
      And about the symmetry, I did the illustration in paper. And then I noticed that the symmetry was not so good so I scanned it, and I opened it on Clip Studio Paint and there I can flip it to see the problems.
      hehehe… and I fixed that digitally.

Thanks Brett for the advice, it’s really helpful!!!

Thanks again!
      🙂

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

OKAY! 🙂 I loved both ideas, but just for the Holidays! 🙂

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

THE ARTIST SPOTLIGHT SECTION OF THE FORUM IS NOW OPEN! PLEASE FEEL FREE TO POST ANY CURRENT WORK OR PIECES FOR REVIEW, COMMENTS OR SUGGESTIONS.

THE ARTIST SPOTLIGHT SECTION OF THE FORUM IS NOW OPEN!  PLEASE FEEL FREE TO POST ANY CURRENT WORK OR PIECES FOR REVIEW, COMMENTS OR SUGGESTIONS.
Skip to toolbar