ART CLASH WEEK 6: MICHAEL MYERS AND THE CREEPING DREAD!!!

Forums THE ART CLASH 2.0 ART CLASH WEEK 6: MICHAEL MYERS AND THE CREEPING DREAD!!!

Who best marked Halloween in February?

You must be logged in to participate.
  • #1 Scott 1
  • #2 Scott 2
  • #3 Steel
  • #4 Brett
  • #5 Daniel
  • #6 David
  • #7 Knight

This topic contains 32 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Newbold 6 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

FIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED IconWAR FACE Icon

MICHAEL MYERS AND THE CREEPING DREAD

ART BRIEF
    SUBJECT: ICONIC IMAGE OF MICHAEL MYERS.

CONCEPT: It’s Halloween in February as the challenge this time is to convey and sense of dread, or looming horror, that perfectly fits with Michael Myers. This challenge is to hint at the threat of violence, so it is more subtle than simply showing blood and gore. Consider what makes this character so frightening and put that on the page.

REFERENCE:

The Rules:
    THE ART CLASH is a weekly art challenge. Each TUESDAY a new Art Clash challenge will be posted. You may work in ANY MEDIA you like, but you must stick to the brief of this week’s Art Clash. And please, no posting old work in the Art Clash. This is about encouraging growth through work, so we expect a new piece every time.

Your final art will need to be uploaded to an image hosting service (here are a few I recommend: Imgur, Google Photos and Flickr) and then may be posted here ANY time until SUNDAY evening at MIDNIGHT (EST). Voting begins immediately afterward and polls close on MONDAY at MIDNIGHT (EST). So don’t miss out!
    The artist with the most votes for the week by the close of the polls is declared that week’s winner and chooses the next Art Clash.

***A BRIEF NOTE BEFORE WE BEGIN***
    Just a reminder that we’re currently in The Art Clash version 1.1. The primary difference in this iteration is each week’s Art Clash will feature two tiers of competition: sequential and pin-up. Anyone entering can choose to illustrate that week’s challenge in a sequential storytelling form (page templates will be provided here) or as a stand-alone, pin-up-style image. Build and illustrate a story of your own around an Art Clash challenge, or wow your audience with a single powerful image. It’s up to you. We want to foster all levels of creativity here, so this will provide an opportunity for all artists to take their work in whatever direction he or she desires and to whatever degree of finishing.

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

CAMPAIGN YEAR ONE – ULTRA RARE BADGE!!!  1 OF 1 IconFIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED IconWAR FACE Icon

I am ready.

Newbold
    Participant

My Achievements

oh yeah?
    already ready.
    nice
    creeping dead. creeping dead.
    hmmm

Steel
      Participant

My Achievements

CAMPAIGN YEAR ONE – ULTRA RARE BADGE!!!  1 OF 1 IconFIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED IconWAR FACE Icon

I’m having some problems fixing in the creeping dread. But I think I have it.

Scott LeMien
    Participant

My Achievements

Scott LeMien
      Participant

My Achievements

Challenges/problems I had this time around. I was looking at Castlevania Dracula for inspiration, with his huge proportions mixed with a faux upward shot exaggerating feet, longer legs and arms and smaller head, but I missed on it, so now it looks like he just has a short pelvis with those long arms. It makes him stand more assertively, but I think the mix of intent and execution looks muddled, wrong, off and therefore wrong. Maybe if I actually dropped rhe horizon line..but then you’d miss the little story, lol.

I hate how even a simple figure can be bungled when you’re shooting for comics. Maddening, ain’t it?

Brett Barkley
        Keymaster

My Achievements

Here you go, Scott. It’s an easy fix. I think you just had the crotch too high. Thankfully, the overalls are a great cover for such things. Just a thought, but even with the exaggerated proportions (which I’m all for), if you use subtle markers to kind of check yourself, you generally won’t have a tough time with the proportions…or at least you’ll avoid second-guessing yourself a lot. Great work!
        -B

Scott LeMien
          Participant

My Achievements

Hey, thanks! He got his dingding back!

Scott LeMien
    Participant

My Achievements

Brett Barkley
      Keymaster

My Achievements

I like the second one better as well. I think it has something to do with the control and fluidity of the forms…probably helped a lot by your great inking.
      -B

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

The creeping dread of Michael Myers. This is the last scene from Halloween 1, but adapted.

Scott LeMien
      Participant

My Achievements

Awesome job, Steel! I like so much in this! Kudos to letting him fall back into the background and just chill in his creepiness as the girl looks frantically the wrong way. Only issue I see is the moon. If you want to show a moon and have a small space, leave enough curve to suggest a circle. It’s a minor crit, tho. Great piece and great work!

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

I was very inspired by Jock’s work on this one. I watched this video and found it very inspiring. He mentioned not enjoying drawing something twice (penciling, then inking) and so I thought I would give it a shot. I did a few very loose pencils and NO laying out of perspective guides. I just drew and let the ink do the work. Let me know what you think!
    -B

Scott LeMien
      Participant

My Achievements

Brett, I think we learn from this that you could do this kind of work if you wanted, easily.

That said, I feel like Myers loses stature to the scale and impressiveness of the background.

Great work, as always.

Daniel Puch
    Participant

My Achievements

FIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED Icon

Here is my version
    😛

Michael Myers

Scott LeMien
      Participant

My Achievements

Hi Daniel!

Nice bold inks on your Michael Myers! The line weight differences in the hair, mask and even the pocket stitching you gave extra attention to look great. Left arm seems a little short, particularly elbow to forearm.

Great work!

Daniel Puch
        Participant

My Achievements

FIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED Icon

Thanks Scott… you are right about the arm… I have to pay more attention to proportions. Is one of my weaknesses Lol…

Thanks for the feedback!!! And you did a great work too, I like your stuff, your inking is really good.

Newbold
    Participant

My Achievements

mike

Scott LeMien
      Participant

My Achievements

Hi Dave!

Great piece! She is no doubt making Myers his favorite guacamole.

Things I like: twist of pose, perspective and doorways. Your Michael Myers looks tough. Inks on paper, ftw!

I feel like there were some missed chances on making the highlights on Myers show more form/planes falling in and out of shadow and less shape/silhouette. And a bit in the doorway, too.

You do it all, and do more than I do, so I figure you’re okay with my amateur hour critiques. Great work!

Steel
        Participant

My Achievements

LOL

Newbold
        Participant

My Achievements

Thanks for the crits Scott! Good points on all-
        I did add some more shadows!
        hallow

I also voted for Knight, great work!

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

I watched a documentary about the making of Michael Myers’ mask in Halloween 2018. A key to making it scary was that the mask is emotionless. He’s not happy or sad or angry, just emotionless. I hope this helps, I know it’s a little late.

Knight
    Participant

My Achievements

I win!

Knight
    Participant

My Achievements

the best I’v done YET!!!!!!!

Knight
    Participant

My Achievements

Scott LeMien
      Participant

My Achievements

Great job, Knight! Overlapping a plane, like a door, or having someone or something emerge from a portal or closet is always a great way to make your picture seem deeper in space.

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

GREAT WORK EVERYONE!

Knight, that’s DEFINITELY the best piece you’ve done! Great work!

Scott, I gave you two slots, just to see which one people preferred, but we’ll compile the results for the two pieces. You did two–you deserve all the votes you get.

-B

Scott LeMien
    Participant

My Achievements

I voted for Knight! Great job!

If people ever want a more serious draw-over critique with my inexpert opinions, lemme know! It wouldn’t be necessarily right so much as how I would change things, YMMV.

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

I voted for Scott #1. I wish I could split my vote between everyone!

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

Looks like Knight won this week(you woln’t win the next). So what’s next?

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

BOOM! I’m calling this for Knight!

Knight, buddy, CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I am SOOOOOOO proud of your work on this one! GREAT JOB! This is how you do it. This is how you improve. You work smarter and you keep doing it, time and again. You learn from mistakes and you build on your successes. You study how other people “got it right” and you look at what they did. Learn everything you can about how to and how not to do something. If you keep doing this–IN ANYTHING–you WILL improve! WAY TO GO!

Now what comes next? 🙂 🙂 🙂

-B

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

Ok, Knight wants us to switch things up and do a battle-damaged (yet victorious) futuristic mech/mecha. I’ll try to figure out how to fit all of that on the new Challenge form 😉 . So, get to designing something cool!
    -B

Knight
    Participant

My Achievements

thanks for the votes! Next is going to be great! You will see when it’s up.

again thanks for the votes, You all did A great job!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

THE ARTIST SPOTLIGHT SECTION OF THE FORUM IS NOW OPEN! PLEASE FEEL FREE TO POST ANY CURRENT WORK OR PIECES FOR REVIEW, COMMENTS OR SUGGESTIONS.

THE ARTIST SPOTLIGHT SECTION OF THE FORUM IS NOW OPEN!  PLEASE FEEL FREE TO POST ANY CURRENT WORK OR PIECES FOR REVIEW, COMMENTS OR SUGGESTIONS.
Skip to toolbar