Newbold art problems

Forums ARTIST SPOTLIGHT Newbold art problems

Tagged: 

This topic contains 16 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Newbold 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Newbold
    Participant

My Achievements

FIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED IconWAR FACE Icon

Serra Cobblerstage1
    stage2

working on a character commission for Scott Weldon of his character Serra Cobbler. I sent him the sketches first and he picked B. I then worked that up a little more trying to make it look like she’s walking instead of being a stone pillar in the road with a horse.

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

CAMPAIGN YEAR ONE – ULTRA RARE BADGE!!!  1 OF 1 IconFIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED IconWAR FACE Icon

You just started on this and I’m already IMPRESSED!!!

Newbold
    Participant

My Achievements

Thanks Steel!
    I’ll post some more pics as I progress

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

CAMPAIGN YEAR ONE – ULTRA RARE BADGE!!!  1 OF 1 IconFIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED IconWAR FACE Icon

I’ll be waiting. 🙂

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

Hey Newbold!

Great to see you posting stuff you’re working on. No art problems, man–just opportunities for improvement!

Ok, it may be late in the process for you, but I’ve attached a few ideas here and I’ll try to explain. One of the reasons I force myself to do gesture work with a carpenter pencil, or just as generally as messy as I can, is so I force myself to focus on framing, general poses and the composition of the image right then…and only then. If you break the art down in phases, you get that out of the way in this phase, then you’re free to focus on anatomy, then details…generally in that order for me. Your gestural stuff in the first image looks great. Here’s what I see in the last image (it’s just my thoughts–we all approach things differently):

I think you did great with working on her posing. She doesn’t feel as stiff as she did in the earlier image, but you have a ton of vertical axis lines, with the sword being the one that REALLY stands out. I don’t know if you’ve ever done anything with sculpture, but (depending on what you’re doing) you start out with a block. It’s not the final form —the final form is INSIDE that block.I think that’s the key to composition. You make the general block that serve as the boundary for the forms you’re focused on. This way you’re able to have everything where you want it on the page. Some stuff seems too close to the edge of the paper, particularly since they’re often strong axis lines. I’ve also blocked out the page in the rule of thirds. I don’t think this something you have to adhere to strictly, but I think it can really help.

And this is generally what I’ve come up with.

I composed the key forms, which as far as I can tell are the girl and the horse. It kind of bothered me not seeing the horse’s face, almost like it was shy. I thought about this a lot. I know the girl is the focus, but maybe sometimes the things we do around the focus (revealing half the face of a person or animal) reads in a way that can undercut what we’re trying to do with the main character. So I show both the girl and the horse. I lowered the vanishing point in order to give her more power. And I added a lot of dark toward the lower part of the image, to give it weight. This is also a nice juxtaposition for having her head rising above or out of the trees in the background. So she gets the power and focus she should have.

I hope you don’t mind me uploading some thoughts, but I thought it could give you some things to consider or utilize when you’re composing your pieces.

Best of luck!
    -B

Newbold
    Participant

My Achievements

I love this and I’m going to use some of your suggestions as I finish this up. My photo is a bad crop so it shows things closer to the edge than they are. I really like how you lowered the HL to give it some more drama. This is exactly what I am hoping to get from here – some solid critiques – so please people reading/vewing this feel free to chime in, I have thick skin and I don’t take art critiques personally.

Here’s some stages of inking-each one is a quick sit down-not that this is how I work always just picking away at this as time allows
    inks stage 1
    stage2
    stage3
    stage4

Newbold
    Participant

My Achievements

tones

Steel
      Participant

My Achievements

WOW! THAT’S BEAUTIFUL!!!

Newbold
    Participant

My Achievements

Thanks man! I had a ton of fun with the markers on this one!

Newbold
    Participant

My Achievements

The Silver Bullet

I was not happy with last weeks sketch but I was unable to dedicate more time then. I have worked on a new sketch purely for my satisfaction and to let BWOOD know that I’m giving your character the attention it deserves with this one.

Newbold
    Participant

My Achievements

SB tones

bwood
    Participant

My Achievements

awesome Silver Bullet!!!

Newbold
    Participant

My Achievements

RobotpetRobot pet2
    Robot viking
    *sorry posted this from my phone and couldn’t tell if it worked or not because it was loading for so long with my zero signal. Thanks Brett!! I had a lot of fun drawing him and reading through some old Silver Bullet!

Steel
      Participant

My Achievements

JEEZ! It looks like you’ve been hard at work!!!

Newbold
    Participant

My Achievements

thanks! I got too caught up in the concepting to get anything done for that clash.

here’s some work on this weeks batman

batman

giving myself a time limit

This was almost 1.5 hrs but my daughter got up a little early cause she’s excited for a field trip
    bats1.5

Steel
      Participant

My Achievements

Impressive, most impressive.

Newbold
    Participant

My Achievements

Batman finish
    I wanted to update this with the final

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

THE ARTIST SPOTLIGHT SECTION OF THE FORUM IS NOW OPEN! PLEASE FEEL FREE TO POST ANY CURRENT WORK OR PIECES FOR REVIEW, COMMENTS OR SUGGESTIONS.

THE ARTIST SPOTLIGHT SECTION OF THE FORUM IS NOW OPEN!  PLEASE FEEL FREE TO POST ANY CURRENT WORK OR PIECES FOR REVIEW, COMMENTS OR SUGGESTIONS.
Skip to toolbar