Steel's Art Spotlight.

Forums ARTIST SPOTLIGHT Steel's Art Spotlight.

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 33 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Steel 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

CAMPAIGN YEAR ONE – ULTRA RARE BADGE!!!  1 OF 1 IconFIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED IconWAR FACE Icon

Hello and welcome to Steel’s Art Spotlight. Here I will be posting tips, and a piece of art, of your choosing every week. Enjoy.

To start this off, I’d like any of you to post a character that you’d like to see me draw.

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

FIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED IconWAR FACE Icon

You said you wanted to do one of the Metal Gear characters. I’d LOVE to see that, buddy!

-B

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

CAMPAIGN YEAR ONE – ULTRA RARE BADGE!!!  1 OF 1 IconFIRST KILL IconTASTE OF BATTLE IconTHE BATTLE IS JOINED IconWAR FACE Icon

Solid Snake it is. Just to start us off.

Newbold
    Participant

My Achievements

Hulk

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

Okay, I’ll get Solid Snake up tonight and then it’s Hulk!!! And thanks for the idea!

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

Solid Snake! Next up, Hulk!

Brett Barkley
      Keymaster

My Achievements

Steel! This rocks, man! You know I love Metal Gear and Solid Snake. Great job on seeing and fixing some of the mistakes in the pencils. You’re on the right track with this way of thinking, but one way to fix it is to nail this in the roughs phase. At the point when I’m using the carpenter pencil, or when you’re doing your rough pencils. Whatever tool you’re using, you should be able to see the general high-level structure of the basic form of the figure and even the basic forms in the face. You can do this in any number of ways (gesturing in the cross over the face, blocking out a general area for the eye socket–in the shape almost of the lens of a pair of sunglasses, gesturing in an inverted pyramid for the nose and shadow under it…things like that). But it should be done in the roughs phase. We work in phases so each phase does the heavy lifting for a particularly thing. When you’re gesturing in a figure, you’re getting the pose and action of the form done and NOT worrying about the details of the hair or costume. You’re not even worrying about the specific anatomy in the gesture phase. If you do one primary thing in that particular phase, at least to start, and you’ll see your art really take off.

In terms of what to work on, Steel, I’d like to see you trying more is putting more space between the eyes. The eyes always look too close to me, even for a different, more manga style of work. Try to experiment with maybe one eye’s width between the eyes and go from there.

Great work!
      -B

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

Here are some huge problems that I fixed in the inking stage. And don’t do that by the way, never leave something to be fixed in the later stages. Nothing on his face is lined up. The chin doesn’t line up with the middle of the mouth, or the tip of his nose, and so on.

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

This is a piece that I drew a long time ago. I’m just posting random art now.

Brett Barkley
      Keymaster

My Achievements

Love this one!

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

And more Star Wars.

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

If you guys have ANYTHING to say about these pieces, go ahead.

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

This is by far the best landscape I’ve ever done.

Brett Barkley
      Keymaster

My Achievements

Love your landscape pieces. Try doing these without black. Go with different shades of blue. Honestly, check out some Bob Ross palettes sometime (or any other landscape artist you like). Those palettes are really important for getting different results. You’ll be surprised what you can accomplish with a limited palette. And talented artists have already done the hard work on developing a palette that works.

Keep it up!

-B

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

I need some practice drawing females so if you have any that you’d like to see me draw, just give the word.

Brett Barkley
    Keymaster

My Achievements

Wonder Woman? Someone from video games, or maybe anime? If you’re not wanting to worry too much about the costume, but focus on the figure, maybe someone like Sue Richards, The Invisible Woman or the new Captain Marvel character could be cool. Some of the girls from Neon Genesis Evangelion could work as well.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!
    -B

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

I drew this one before asking for more characters. I’ll might be drawing Wonder Woman next. Thanks for the tips. This is Ochako from My Hero Academia.

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

As said, Wonder Woman! Looking at it now. I think her belt is too high. I’ll fix it soon.

Newbold
    Participant

My Achievements

Wow man! You’ve been busy! I love it. The star wars stuff especially seems to be done with real precision and faithfulness. Excellent!

Steel
      Participant

My Achievements

Thanks, bro. I have to find some time to post more art here. What would you like to see?

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

Well, it’s been a while. I’ve been obsessed with Horror Movie things for a while. Mostly Slender Man. I’ve created some Horror Movie masks.

Newbold
    Participant

My Achievements

Very cool. I have similar project for my students in the drawing class i teach. The idea is to generate lots of visual ideas and to get past the initial cliche ideas to find something unique. You may go back and use the idea that you first had but the excersize allows students explore lots of ideas and learn how to generate ideas

Steel
      Participant

My Achievements

Thank you so much. You teach an art class? THAT’S AWESOME.

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

I’m back with a re-make of the landscape above. This is a much better version of it. If you have anything you’d like to see me draw in this style, comment bellow.

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

I saw a piece that Brett was doing and I thought I’d do it too. Lion-O, Lord of the Thunder Cats! HO!

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

And here is the pencils.

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

Guys! How would you like it if I want through all the Thunder Cats. Lion-O, Cheetara, Panthro, Tygra… and Snarf.

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

I wanted to see what it would look like if I just put flats in. I thought the tones would act as the shadow, and it worked!

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

I don’t know what I’m doing these days.

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

I’m trying to use painting instead of… coloring. This isn’t finished.

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

This is a little closer to finished.

Newbold
    Participant

My Achievements

wow, looks good man!
    you been busy!

Steel
      Participant

My Achievements

Thanks bro!

Steel
    Participant

My Achievements

This was the original piece.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

THE ARTIST SPOTLIGHT SECTION OF THE FORUM IS NOW OPEN! PLEASE FEEL FREE TO POST ANY CURRENT WORK OR PIECES FOR REVIEW, COMMENTS OR SUGGESTIONS.

THE ARTIST SPOTLIGHT SECTION OF THE FORUM IS NOW OPEN!  PLEASE FEEL FREE TO POST ANY CURRENT WORK OR PIECES FOR REVIEW, COMMENTS OR SUGGESTIONS.
Skip to toolbar